Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting, is it good? >

Bowhunting, is it good?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting, is it good?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting, is it good?

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

accidently Banned it??
They were banning the use of crossbows and instead included any sort of "Bow" i hear theres a debate about trying to lift it...when? Who knows.

Its a tradition in Scotland, people here used to bow hunt thousands of years ago theres actually a clip in Braveheart. Its a shame we cant do it anymore.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington Girl,
I’d say, buy one, whether you’re going to hunt with it or not. They’re lots of fun to shoot.

Better than hunting with a gun?

Wow, some of you probably think I put her up to this…

Not exactly better or worse, just different. You see there is so much to think about when comparing weapons to hunt with. Probably the biggest thing to consider is how you’ll hunt.
Many (or most) bow hunters sit in tree stands while hunting. This type of hunting has some pretty intense challenges of finding the right spot to put a stand without alarming deer or whatever you’re hunting. Paying strict attention to scent, whether you use products or not will be in order also. Knowing (or at the least suspecting) which way the animals will come in, and having cleared shooting lanes will play a key role in this type of hunting also.
Some reasons to hunt this way (passive hunting) would be hunting a small piece of land, to loud a day (crunchy leaves) to walk around. Or simply to increase your odds if you can’t or are unwilling to still-hunt. I think the coolest part of hunting this way is how you’ll see nature. Once you’ve been in a tree for a bit, the woods seem to just come-alive around you. You see some pretty cool stuff that you (or I more specifically) wouldn’t normally see.

Then there is active hunting…

This is where the rubber meets the road.

Disclaimer time (for the bow only types) – Take any form of hunting, add a bow in place of a fire arm and you’ve made it more challenging.

Getting out of a stand and deciding to walk on the forest floor is a huge step in hunting. Scent control is much more of an issue on ground level than it is 15 – 20 feet off of the ground. Movement is at eye level to the deer, and you will be making noise. This type of hunting is very tough. In my experience, this active style of hunting, presents more challenges than bow hunting from a tree, even when carrying a firearm. There simply aren’t many long range shots presented in the areas of thick cover that deer call their beds. To walk in, undetected and get a shot (normally between 25 – 35 yards) is tough to say the least.
Want to take it a step further, try this active style hunting, with a bow; and you’ll really be challenging yourself. I’ve only shot one doe this way, and I consider her my finest trophy.
In closing, go buy yourself a bow and learn to shoot it. Have fun shooting it, and then decide whether you want to hunt with it or not.
Good luck,
KP
Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM

wow. What type of deer are in Scotland? Red Stag?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is bowhunting better than using a firearm?

Heck yeah it is!!!!! you don't get all the jello meat so you hardely waiste any meat at all and if you hit them in the vitals it will drain all the blood out so it is a lot cleaner than useing a rifle... see with a rifle you shoot a deerin the vital area and then you cut the deer open to get all the guts out and there is a TON of blown up little meat and stuff floating around in side the body cavity with all the blood so thats a huge part of why I like bowhunting and its more challenging to so that makes it even funner!

Sorry if you thought that was sick but it is the truth!

John
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red deer, Roe deer, Sitka deer, Chinese water deer and Fallow deer.

A good selection plus our game birds are good

Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

Is bowhunting better than using a firearm?

Heck yeah it is!!!!! you don't get all the jello meat so you hardely waiste any meat at all and if you hit them in the vitals it will drain all the blood out so it is a lot cleaner than useing a rifle... see with a rifle you shoot a deerin the vital area and then you cut the deer open to get all the guts out and there is a TON of blown up little meat and stuff floating around in side the body cavity with all the blood so thats a huge part of why I like bowhunting and its more challenging to so that makes it even funner!

Sorry if you thought that was sick but it is the truth!

John
You can’t be serious…
I can’t decide which is worse; your English, or what I think you tried to say…
Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

OMG! I'm on my way to Scotland...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: remington_girl

Red deer, Roe deer, Sitka deer, Chinese water deer and Fallow deer.

A good selection plus our game birds are good

Whos this guy? Nice ROSS Bow
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know but thats what red stag are like. I love them and want one!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Is that photo "actual size" or what?

(Nice animal!)

Quick Reply: Bowhunting, is it good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.