Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hiring Questions >

Hiring Questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hiring Questions

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hiring Questions

Mizzou,

Great points you bring up. Any tips for an interview with the state? haha they suck because the interviewers are notallowed to talk to you. The three of them will sit across from you and go down the list of questions. Ask a question and stare at you. When you say you're finished they move to the next one. I have an interview in a week or two for a transfer into the DEP. Hopefully it'll go well like my last two.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

What if I hire the guy and he moves in on my hunting property that I have been working on for 6 years? Is this grounds for termination? If yes, what would be my stance.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gotta admit... this thread turned out some pretty mature answers. I think there's a lot to be said from both points of view; work ethic is indeed important, and so's the "relatability" factor. No slam on anyone intended, but I've worked around a lot of engineers in the past, and that can be pretty hard to find.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I would never hire someone based on if they liked archery, but I do think that passion is very important. Jack Welch, love him, hate him, or don't know him, he has a very good book out with a chapter on hiring. Heuses the 4 Es

http://smd-nationalist.blogspot.com/2005/07/4-es-leadership-traits-according-to.html

Engineers are not all that bad, just look at the new bowtechs. I sure their were a few working on those designs.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run a team of software engineers and personality IS important. In a team environment you simply can't afford to have someone that just doesn't get along! Engineering skills are very important, but they are also something that can often be taught, being an idiot is ingrained and can't be un-taught.

However, asking about hobbies, or any other non-work related questions, is very touch at times. When you work with HR folks you'd be amazed at the things you simply can't ask safely in the current times. You are even walking on thin ice if you notice a gap in the work history of a woman and ask about it and find it was due to having kids!

I do really try and find a way to get into non-work things, but you have to be carefull, if they bring it up, or even put it on the resume, it opens the door for you. I have stuff in my office, and I interview folks in my office, that identifies hobbies of mine, couple of golf trophies and a hunting joke gift my boss gave me (Bowhunter Danwith Dan changed to Bob). It often gets the door opened to walk down that road, I also have a deer calendar and a poster of Yellowstone. All of which can move the conversation to outdoor things.

Personality matches in a small team are very important, especially if part of the job is interacting with customers!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I concur with kwilson's comment. Sometimes, as long as the qualifications are at least similar, it is better to havea positive personality. Positive moralin the workplace will get you better performance across the board with all employees, and that is certainly more valuable than hiring some stick who might be productive, but drags everyone else down.

I'm in construction and architecture, so engineers are quite familiar to me. Dude, it's hard to find an engineer who is outgoing, upbeat, creative with thier energy, etc. (no offense intended). So, If he's got what it takes bring him on.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mizzou has some great points. Passion is a good thing. It is helpful if you need a little leverage to get something done. Not in a bad way, use it in a good way to get a desired result. It is so much easier when you know what the person wants or likes.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I own my own medical device recruiting agency and have done this for 18 years...Now, I deal with sales types and I ask all types of questions, mainly just to get to know the type person I dealing with...In sales especially, you need to be able to talk with all types...If a guy gets defensive, that's a red flag...When I worked with John Deere, I delt with a bunch of engineers...Some were open to new ideas on design and some weren't...

If the guy knows his stuff as an engineer, I would think it's a plus if he can also carry on a discussion about other things, not just hunting/fishing, but sports, investing, raising kids, etc...Who wants to work with an employeee where you don't have anything in common???

I tell all my candidates that they are interviewing the manager as well as getting interviewed...They can learn about the strengths and products of the company on the internet....But, if the manager is a butt, you don't want to go to work for him....I tell them to ask themselves, "Is this the type of guy I can go out and have a couple of beers with and discuss problems that I'm having closing sales and work out solutions with or not..."

I view companies as families, we all have problems that need to be addressed to help the company make more money...You should not be scared that what you bring up in a private conversation coming back to bit you during your review....

So, if the candidate knows his stuff from an engineering stand point, hire him...Plus...Ask him how he would make his dream bow....
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

There is alot recent organizational behavior research that suggests hiring on personality is more prudent than hiring on pure credentials.
I'm with this one. Credentials can be as flawed as a person lieing through their teeth. You can tell a lot more about someone in a one on one talk that you could ever hope to learn by staring at a piece of paper and looking at credentials. Someone could have accomplished quite a lot, but still be a pretty worthless person to have interacting with customers, other ee's, etc. I also know of plenty of people who know the "right people" and are able to get jobs based on credentials that they don't really have - ask any college student what I'm talking about, we all know there are people in colleges who do not belong there
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a real good one. This conversation came up in a meeting with my director. I told him that I like to ask the hobby question and why. He said, well I don't have any hobbies. oh noooooooo. I was at a sudden loss for words. I said, well youlike cars trying to back out of this topic. He really does need a hobby but he is not all that bad of a boss. I'll reserve any other comments because his VP is an avid archer so who knows who I'm sending this too.

Quick Reply: Hiring Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.