Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter? >

What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter?

After shootingFOBs for the last 6 months, I'm convinced that I could shoot the biggest fixed blade broadheads accurately. The problem is there just isn't that many to choose from.

The G5 Striker Magnum is going to be a 1.5" cut 3 blade. That looks sweet. But that's the only one!

The Magnus Snuffer 150 grain (1 5/16") and the Striker Magnum (1.5") appear to be the only choices. The new Slick Trick Grizztrick (1 1/4") looks good, but I want an even bigger cut!

With todays high KE bows like the Airbornes and the Elites, and shooting FOBs, I think there could be a real demand for super big fixed blades - especially from those of us that like real heavy arrows and don't care about speed as much as KE, momentum, and killing power.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter?

Gz--I know I am shooting smaller deer down here in VA, but I was very happy with the Muzzy MX-3's this year...lots of blood and great cuts.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the results from the little MX-3's too. Will use them again next year.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cutting diameter alone does not tell you anything. Cutting diameter plus the number of blades tells the whole story concerning total ammount of tissue being cut as the broadhead passes thru the animal.

Take theoriginal slick trickmagnumand Muzzy MX4 at 1.125" cutting diameter. It's four blades add up to a total cutof 2.25 inches.

The GrizTrick is a 1.25" four blade for a total cut of 2.5 inches. That's friggin huge.

To compare a Rage 3 blade has a cutting diameter of 1.5 inches for a total cut of 2.25 inches. Equal to the Slick trick and less than the new Grizz trick.

Even with expandables there are only a few that have a total cut more than 2 - 2.5 inches.

Even the super wide Hypershock 125 only has 2.75 inches of total cutting ability. This is one of the widest broadheads on the market.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Cutting diameter alone does not tell you anything. Cutting diameter plus the number of blades tells the whole story concerning total ammount of tissue being cut as the broadhead passes thru the animal.

Take theoriginal slick trickmagnumand Muzzy MX4 at 1.125" cutting diameter. It's four blades add up to a total cutof 2.25 inches.

The GrizTrick is a 1.25" four blade for a total cut of 2.5 inches. That's friggin huge.

To compare a Rage 3 blade has a cutting diameter of 1.5 inches for a total cut of 2.25 inches. Equal to the Slick trick and less than the new Grizz trick.

Even with expandables there are only a few that have a total cut more than 2 - 2.5 inches.

Even the super wide Hypershock 125 only has 2.75 inches of total cutting ability. This is one of the widest broadheads on the market.
You're exactly right. That's why I'm waiting for Slick Trick to make a 1.5" four blade! That would give you a full 3" of total cut. I'm sure 85 ft lbs of KE would handle that just fine.

With my FOBS, I've shot Spitfires with the BLADES OPEN and it hit the same mark as my field points! I know these things can handle a 1.5" fixed blade. Somebody just MAKE one and I promise I'll buy it.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I liked the results from the little MX-3's too. Will use them again next year.
MX-3's are only 1.25" I want alot more than that. I'm talking a full 1.5" like the G5 Striker Magnum. I know I can get them to fly good out of my setup, and I don't trust mechanicals all that much. Nobody currently makes a 1.5" fixed blade broadhead (except Magnus Snuffers in the 185 grain version)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you this from expierence that the Magnus 3 blade snuffer you mentioned cuts a hell of a hole and its blood trails are better then most I've seen when tracking animals. These heads have worked great on deer, bear, elk, caribou, moose. I've only seen the blood trails from deer, bear, elk, but my hunting buddies that shoot them too tell me the blood trails on the caribou and moose were excellent as well. If a fixed blade gets too wide I would think the arrow flight might get out of wack regardless of a heavy arrow, maybe not but just my thoughts anyway.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Rocky Mountain Gators have a 2" cut diameter
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: patgrizzlyhunter

Rocky Mountain Gators have a 2" cut diameter
I'm not interested in mechanicals. I want a big FIXED blade, as the title of the thread suggests.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just go to a mechanical head

Serisouly though, with bows getting faster, and fletchings getting smaller, it's tough to get huge fixed blades to fly. I know FOBS fly great, and a Blazer vane does as well. Like I said in my Rage post, I'll be using Rage's for a LONG LONG LONG time, I feel like they COULD be the best head on the market, as far as damage goes. However, if I get drawn for Iowa, I'll be using Slick Tricks. I'll also keep some slick tricks in my quiver just for comparison purposes.

Quick Reply: What fixed blade broadheads have the BIGGEST cutting diameter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.