Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bag targets.....All the same? >

Bag targets.....All the same?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bag targets.....All the same?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Bag targets.....All the same?

Who uses one...and who loves the one they have? Ever get an arrow that passes through?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bag targets.....All the same?

I've used most of them. I own 2 Outdoor Range bags now from Morrell (one at camp, one in the basement) and think they are truly the best "bag" type out there. We also have them from 10 to 50 yards at the club I belong to as well, and they usually last an entire season there before needing to be changed, and that's with a club w/ 600 members.

My bag in the basement is only a month old or so, and it holds up pretty well. It will occasionally have an arrow poke out the back though, but you gotta remember that I'm shooting it at 10 yards, with a vegas face pinned on it, and drilling 40-45x's ever game I shoot........all with 500+ grain indoor arrows. That's bound to mess any target up. I move the target a bit about midway through each game and that keeps the poke throughs to a minimum.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Host of Hosts

I've got 2 medium price range bags now and both are pretty much crap after less than a year. I'm going to be purchasing Morrell from now on. My buddy has had his for 2 years now and it's holding up very well.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

How do you have your bag set up indoors? What's it hanging on?

I suppose I could just hang something down from the floor joists.

These bag targets are WAY cheaper than the block type targets.....and I' just looking for something to shoot FP's into.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Our club - nowhere near 600 members! [:-]- also went with Morrell Outdoor Range bags. We've had them aboutsix yearsand they're great. When a bag starts shooting through, just throw it on the ground and stomp the snot out of it to redistribute the stuffing and it's good to go. Every year we buy replacement bags and rebag them, and it's real easy to do.Justslide the target - old bag and all -into the new bag and close it up with zip ties.Give them a good stomping to redistribute the stuffing and hang 'em up. Unless you are shooting as much as an entire archery club, a cover should easilylast you several years. The target itself should last a lifetime.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using a WALMART block for two years. It has thousands of arrows through it.

I have a ratchet strap around it. When it gets shot up, I tighten the strap and it closes the foam back up.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt:

How do you have your bag set up indoors? What's it hanging on?

I suppose I could just hang something down from the floor joists.

These bag targets are WAY cheaper than the block type targets.....and I' just looking for something to shoot FP's into.
Jeff:

I'll take a picture at some point and post it. Basically J-hooks into the floor joists though, and then the bag tied to these so that the middle of the bag is just below chest height, I also have a cheapo flour shop light wired in just above it. Works perfect.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Our club - nowhere near 600 members! [:-]- also went with Morrell Outdoor Range bags. We've had them aboutsix yearsand they're great. When a bag starts shooting through, just throw it on the ground and stomp the snot out of it to redistribute the stuffing and it's good to go. Every year we buy replacement bags and rebag them, and it's real easy to do.Justslide the target - old bag and all -into the new bag and close it up with zip ties.Give them a good stomping to redistribute the stuffing and hang 'em up. Unless you are shooting as much as an entire archery club, a cover should easilylast you several years. The target itself should last a lifetime.
Good imfo!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Matt! (and everyone else)!

This looks like a REALLY inexpensive way to handle my indoor shooting needs.....besides the layered rubber target I'm now using....that KILLING me to pull arrows out of.

It's a great Rage practice head target.....but it's hell on FP tipped arrow removal.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bag targets are a great way to go for FP's. Much better than any block target for more reasons than one

Dan

Quick Reply: Bag targets.....All the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.