Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bag targets.....All the same? >

Bag targets.....All the same?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bag targets.....All the same?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bag targets.....All the same?

I've always used Morrell bags, and they are great. Very durable and for the price, you are WAY ahead versus buying a Block type target IMO. I also shoot inside at close range, and chewed up a Block in a couple weeks to where the arrows were going nearly completely through. The Morrell bag has lasted nearly 6 months with the same abuse, and no real ill effects.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 AM

The Yellow Jacket is the best I've seen. Good luck wearing that baby out. Keep it (or any bag target) off the ground to avoid soaking up moisture.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff im thinking mine was a blue ridge, it was a cheap one lasted a long time but now has weakspots in it. I have heard nothing bad about the morell. I use a block target in my basement, they are ok if you weight the top of them, if you dont they scoot sideways when you shoot the other dots, i mounted my bag target on an aluminum frame, but it tends to swing on impact when suspended.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM

I have two morrell bag targets and love em'. I think my next buy will be a Glendale Buck.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i bought mine at Dick's sporting goods called the "carbon giant" its got reinforced sides(feels like it might be that stiff plastic cardboard type stuff) and filled with mostly cotton from what i can tell...

it stood up for 2 full seasons now...i cant imagine how many arrows from me alone..plus ive had buddies shoot it many times...

when i buy a new one, it will be one i KNOW i can get a replacement cover for. thats the only part that wears out. mine wore out so i started shooting the back...filling came out the hole in the front and i started to bury arrows real deep...never had a pass through, but had to pull many from the back.

my temperary fix?? silt fence. made out of a similar weaved material...i wrapped it in it and used a staple gun to staple into the sides...put a couple layers on...worked pretty well...needs redone...good thing i brought home a ton of silt fence...asked the boss what we did with the stuff i was ripping down and he said throw it out back at the shop...asked if i could take it...he said sure....

heres a pic

takes alot of shooting to wear out a bag with a decint cover on it...lots of room to shoot at, and the way the bag is weaved lets alot of arrows in without making a hole...

for fieldpoints, i dont usually shoot anything but my bag...arrow removal is stupidly easy....
Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

what about a bale of cardboard boxes fresh out of the compactor, has anybody ever tried that??
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Our club - nowhere near 600 members! [:-]- also went with Morrell Outdoor Range bags. We've had them aboutsix yearsand they're great. When a bag starts shooting through, just throw it on the ground and stomp the snot out of it to redistribute the stuffing and it's good to go. Every year we buy replacement bags and rebag them, and it's real easy to do.Justslide the target - old bag and all -into the new bag and close it up with zip ties.Give them a good stomping to redistribute the stuffing and hang 'em up. Unless you are shooting as much as an entire archery club, a cover should easilylast you several years. The target itself should last a lifetime.
This is exactly what I do with the two Morrell bag targets I have. Works great!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

what about a bale of cardboard boxes fresh out of the compactor, has anybody ever tried that??
You can make a target out of a lot of things compressed including cardboard. It won't take any weather and it does not have as easy arrow removal as a Bag target, but it will work

Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

I asked about this last year and most of the guys said it could ruin my arrows .....
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i bought mine at Dick's sporting goods called the "carbon giant" its got reinforced sides(feels like it might be that stiff plastic cardboard type stuff) and filled with mostly cotton from what i can tell...

it stood up for 2 full seasons now...i cant imagine how many arrows from me alone..plus ive had buddies shoot it many times...

when i buy a new one, it will be one i KNOW i can get a replacement cover for. thats the only part that wears out. mine wore out so i started shooting the back...filling came out the hole in the front and i started to bury arrows real deep...never had a pass through, but had to pull many from the back.

my temperary fix?? silt fence. made out of a similar weaved material...i wrapped it in it and used a staple gun to staple into the sides...put a couple layers on...worked pretty well...needs redone...good thing i brought home a ton of silt fence...asked the boss what we did with the stuff i was ripping down and he said throw it out back at the shop...asked if i could take it...he said sure....

heres a pic

takes alot of shooting to wear out a bag with a decint cover on it...lots of room to shoot at, and the way the bag is weaved lets alot of arrows in without making a hole...

for fieldpoints, i dont usually shoot anything but my bag...arrow removal is stupidly easy....
Hey Mauser ..... you are shooting low ..... [:-]

Quick Reply: Bag targets.....All the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.