Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Felons banned from bowhunting? >

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe on a case by case basis.....but not with my tax dollars!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was an excellent thread to leave in the dead thread file, where it belongs.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Spike

Ok where you going to draw the line?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Spike

Getting your fire arm privilage taken for life is enough.

It's been a while but the last time I read the constitution it was the RIGHT to bear arms. Not a privilege.

Privileges can be taken away but if it is called a right in the foundation of what makes America great then I will say the something other people have said just not for the same reason...where do u draw the line. At what point does the government go to far?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Felons hunting.....

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Felons can't own firearms in this country, but now some states ban them from hunting altogether. I urge you to write to these states and urge them to allow felons to be able to bowhunt, especially for non-violent, non-weapon related felonies.

Utah - felons can't bowhunt period.
Nebraska - believe felons can't bowhunt here either.

If you're aware of other states that ban felons from bowhunting, please submit which states those are.

So what are your thoughts? Are you worried about a felon with a bow in the woods?
Non-violent felons, and if they had committed a armed felony, leave it up to the Parole/AG of the State in which they reside. My rule of thumb is, if you let them out and can't trust them around LEGALLY owned weapons, THAN WHY did you let them out in the first place? Just my take on it.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

If Michael Vick can own a dog again, a non-violent felon should be able to bowhunt. & +1 on all the hypothetical and real life examples shared above.

What about that guy in NJ, Armando Pioppi Jr., btw, who was falsely accused and convicted with poaching the giant buck he legally shot. There was a story in D&DH on it this month. He had a dozen or so friends and neighbors he called the evening he shot it and served as witnesses and defense. All the evidence points to his innocence and despite that, the COs, so-called forensic experts, and his own lawyer basically screwed it all up. I encourage you to read that story if you can. It really shows how someone who is innocent can have the system fail them based on an "anonymous tip." It also shows you what to do immediately if you ever shoot a record book animal and how to defend yourself from personal and legal attacks.

That's getting a bit off subject, but it does go back to the point that you can's just say "he's a criminal," no bow or hunting privledges. It's simply ridiculous.

Along these lines, Minnesota has a law where the COs can confiscate your hunting equipment, vehicle and/or boat upon charging you with a hunting or fishing violation. They just take it, regardless of whether you've had a chance to prove your innocence. Your bow gone, taken away for the remainder of hunting season based on an alleged violation, which is often found to be baseless. Ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
If Michael Vick can own a dog again, a non-violent felon should be able to bowhunt. & +1 on all the hypothetical and real life examples shared above.

What about that guy in NJ, Armando Pioppi Jr., btw, who was falsely accused and convicted with poaching the giant buck he legally shot. There was a story in D&DH on it this month. He had a dozen or so friends and neighbors he called the evening he shot it and served as witnesses and defense. All the evidence points to his innocence and despite that, the COs, so-called forensic experts, and his own lawyer basically screwed it all up. I encourage you to read that story if you can. It really shows how someone who is innocent can have the system fail them based on an "anonymous tip." It also shows you what to do immediately if you ever shoot a record book animal and how to defend yourself from personal and legal attacks.

That's getting a bit off subject, but it does go back to the point that you can's just say "he's a criminal," no bow or hunting privledges. It's simply ridiculous.

Along these lines, Minnesota has a law where the COs can confiscate your hunting equipment, vehicle and/or boat upon charging you with a hunting or fishing violation. They just take it, regardless of whether you've had a chance to prove your innocence. Your bow gone, taken away for the remainder of hunting season based on an alleged violation, which is often found to be baseless. Ridiculous.
It sucks to be Armando, and I'm sure he is innocent. But I would rather that laws be enforced and prevent the other 99% of truly guilty felons not be allowed possesion of a bow, or any other weapon.

Allowing special rules for wrongly convicted bow hunters isn't a good solution. Sorry.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I say TOUGH CRAP .

The country is filled with apologetic morons that think the rules don;t apply to them...until they do.

Personally I don't need to be in the woods with any more cumbags then that are already there.

THE ONLY WAY I WOULD SAY YES IS IF THE REINSTATE THEIR VOTING RIGHTS AND CAN ONY VOTE REPUBLICAN.

Other then that...let them watch hunting videos. maybe
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Bows are NOT considered firearms in New York.

Or anywhere else for that matter.

One they don;t fire...you need a propellant, and two...they are not arms. They are primitive weapons.

Better re re read the instruction manual.

However FELONS are FELONS no matter where you live.

Let them sit in the house and reflect on why they are not allowed to hunt.

Rules did not apply for them to get the felony charges .... breaking the law.

Now suffer.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

tell ARMANDO to play hunting vids and Lady Gaga records.

El tougho crapo Armando !

Quick Reply: Felons banned from bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.