Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey? >

How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Default RE: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

I wasn't out hunting yesterday but I almost killed about 5-6 turkeys as they were right in the middle of the snowmobile trail as I came over a hill...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's bow or bust for me
Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

BHO for me. 23 long beards with a junk Switchback.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I not ashamed to say it.............I just want a gobbler DEAD.

I don't care if I need grenades, trained eagles, an Air Force airstrike, or rocket nets.....I'll draw the line at thermo-nuclear weapons if it makes everyone happy.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I have the same way of thinking on this subject. Im at the point where Its not the end of the world if I dont fill my tags on 2 gobblers. So I might as well challenge myself and do what I enjoy in bowhunting.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff i dont know about you, but i have got the itch something bad right now Deer #'s were the worst i have ever seen this season, but the # of turkeys was the best i have ever seen, it seems like they are two fold this year.
ps> im bumbed right now, there are 8 gobblers headed for the feeder right now, i looked out the window and the gama cam has fallen over []The ground was frozen when i staked it, it has since began to thaw [&o]no pics today.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Well im a recent convert from the Shot gun to the bow side of hunting birds, I found out taking my first bird with archery gear that the RUSH was imense, and like starting over again, I find in turkey hunting that i run myself ragid if i have to trying to score a bird. Ill be hard pressed to drag out the gun again. Dont get me wrong i totally loved gun hunting them but the new twist and style of hunting with archery means so much more to ME right. its the challenge for me!!
Dan....this mirrors my outlook.

Like I said....NO WRONG ANSWERS. While thinking about this....."run and gun" turkey hunting is "better" suited for gun hunting w/o a blind. I know many enjoy this style (and many also do this with a bow!).

Just wondering what everyone's views are..........that is all.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Ilove to hunt turkeys,but I employ very different tactics depending on which weapon I'm using. If I don't have a good sit and wait it out type of location, and the birds are dictating a run and gun style, and I've got an itchy trigger finger.........the mossberg goes with me [8D]. When they start getting hung up, and not committing andforcing me to move a lot, I'm bringing the gun. If I'm feeling patient and I know I've got active birds in an area that are likely to commit, and I feel I can wait out and ambush with a blind/decoy setup.......I'll bring the bow. Either way, I'm in the woods so I can't lose.

This year my hunting in PA will likely be mostly spent trying to get others on birds. I'll most likely bring the gun for this.I bet I'll have the bow out in NY though.
That's exactly how I feel. My first few birds were with a bow...then I moved to the gun, because I moved to a different part of the state with fewer birds.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I 'need' to kill a turkey to eat it, therefor lately I have hunted with a shotgun although the truth is I would rather with a bow....I am just not good enough[&:]. Yet.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think getting a turkey with a shotgun from the ground without a blind is one of the toughest things to do in the hunting world. In fact you might even make the argument that getting one with a bow in a blind might be a little easier (not saying that it is because i haven't done it, but an argument can be made). Besides i kind of like to run and gun, and a shotgun makes that a little easier. As far as needing to get a turkey to have a successful season, i think working the birds and calling to them is by far the best part of it, my favorite hunt was prob the time i called in my kid brother's first turkey a couple years ago.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive never taken my bow spring gobbler hunting.

out of the 3 ive killed in the spring, and others in the fall, without a blind, i would never been able to get a bow shot at any of them.

easy fix, get a blind right?? one day....right now it doesnt fit my style of hunting. a 2 mile walk at 430am is the norm for my spring gobbler hunting...then, if the birds i hunt off the roost dont cooperate, i run n gun and usually end up walking a couple more trying to locate a hot bird. just my style of hunting.

i havent taken any spring birds past 30yds, just dont get them TV like bow shots, and avoid fields like a bad habit for the most part...dont carry decoys and dont sit around and "wait" i like to make somethin happen...thats what makes spring gobbler season in my eyes...

but, i dont NEED to kill a turkey. pulling the trigger on the shotgun is just....closing my season...and icing on the cake. ive past more birds than i care to admit, that i could have killed with my shotgun...i was just usually enjoying the show and never took the shot..or could have taken and made the shot, but was waiting for a better shot that i didnt get...this will be my 10th season...ive only killed 3 spring birds. but every year i could pulled the trigger and tagged a bird for sure atleast once...and alot of it comes back to not wanting to tag out...i enjoy spring gobbler hunting and enjoy learning the ropes. the seasons i ate my tag, i learned more than the seasons i pulled the trigger...last year, i pulled the trigger the first chance i got, mainly because a couple more days and my season was over regaurdless due to work...same thing this year...i can go for some more marinaded wild turkey chunks on the grill and another fan, beard and spurs for the wall

Quick Reply: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.