Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your view on Outfitters? >

What is your view on Outfitters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Outfitter's are great, I only hunt with them.
0.98%
I can't stand outfitters.
12.75%
Outfitting is perfectly acceptable, but I don't use them.
50.98%
Outfitting costs way too much money for me
11.76%
I can't afford to use an outfitter so my hunting is limited.
2.94%
There should be a set limit on the amount of ground outfitted.
12.75%
Ive lost good hunting ground to outfitters
4.90%
I own an outfitter: My land, my rights, too bad.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What is your view on Outfitters?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: What is your view on Outfitters?

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

I agree 100%. By the way, you may have said, but are your from IL Thwack, and if so, whereabouts?
No I live in Ohio but I help run an outfitter in Illinois.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Spike

Good night to all....and to all a good night!!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Cougar, not to get off topic, but just noticed that you're from SE central, IL. Around where at in central Illinois? Im from Paris. (Edgar county)
Robinson in Crawford County.
Thats interesting!Its funny how you can run into people so close. Im going to be in Robinson Thursday night for a girls basketball game.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thats interesting!Its funny how you can run into people so close. Im going to be in Robinson Thursday night for a girls basketball game.
Hey thats cool! I'd like to meet you but I am working 4PM to 2AM this week except for yesterday/today.....had to call in with the flu[:'(]. You get back this way or I get up toward Paris we will have to grab a lunch.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I really wanted to stay out of this conversation, but I can't help myself, and need to say a few things. For starters, don't lump all outfitters together. There are alot of different kinds of outfitters. I am an outfitter in southern Iowa. I will say I am different from most. My dad and I run the service. We OWN the land we hunt and have for 15 years. We don't lease anything. We aren't getting rich doing this either. We do this because it was something I have always wanted to do, and it pays for the management we do. It pays for treestands, food plots, and all the other little stuff we all buy every year.

I throughly enjoy doing this. I have met guys from all over the country. We have had some of the most hard core hunters you will ever see. These are just regular guys, who live in places that don't have the trophy class bucks these guys have been dreaming about their whole lives. So they go somewhere that does. To be an outfitter in Iowa you have to be in it because you like it. Because of the minimal amount of non-resident tags the state gives out, nobody is getting rich here.

Which leads me to bring up this thought. A lot of the blame in Illinois lies with the state. When you give out 20,000+ tags a year to non-res hunters, what do you think is going to happen. These hunters and outfitters/landowners know they are guaranteed hunters every year. That is not the case in Iowa. Still I have had conversations with state reps and DNR officials about licensing outfitters, to keep the business in check. I don't want my state to end uplike Illinois.

Another thing that puzzles me is why I hardly ever see anyone hunting the 4500 acres of public land that borders our farm. This is some of the best hunting ground you will ever find. I hunt it some myself, and I don't have to. I hunt it because it is excellent hunting. Besides the first weekend of shotgun season I rarely see more than 2-3 vehicles a day there, and that is a weekend. You hardly see anyone during the week. The only reason I can come up with is people are lazy. There are no motorized vehiles allowed on state ground, so people have to walk.

I am sure I have offended some people with this, and I am sorry for that, but I was getting sick of people lumping all outfitters together. I will be the first to tell you that there are some real crooks out there, but that is the same with anything. I do feel bad for guys that don't have a place to hunt. I can't imagine how bad that would suck, but I think the blame can be spread around to a lot of different people. So the next time you decide to go off on a group of people, remember that not everyone is the same.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

The one i bear hunt is awsome!! Just like family