Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your view on Outfitters? >

What is your view on Outfitters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Outfitter's are great, I only hunt with them.
0.98%
I can't stand outfitters.
12.75%
Outfitting is perfectly acceptable, but I don't use them.
50.98%
Outfitting costs way too much money for me
11.76%
I can't afford to use an outfitter so my hunting is limited.
2.94%
There should be a set limit on the amount of ground outfitted.
12.75%
Ive lost good hunting ground to outfitters
4.90%
I own an outfitter: My land, my rights, too bad.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

What is your view on Outfitters?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What is your view on Outfitters?

For those that are irritated about outfitters grabbing up land...........the only ones to thank for that are your fellow hunters. If guys were not willing to pay to hunt they (and leases) would not exist. You can't blame the landowners for taking money for something instead of giving it away for free.
I agree

They have a family and taxes to pay on that land...........farmers around me are FAR from wealthy so I wouldn't blame them one bit. They would be crazy not to take the money.
I somewhat agree but mainly disagree. I've lived in the midwest all of my life and grew up on a small farm. Many if not the majority of the farms are now corporate operations. Even 2,500 acres is not considered that large any longer. Farm land is being grabbed up at record prices, even way out in the boonies. Right now with the bio fuel surge, beans are $12 a bushel and corn at $4 a bushel. So the large corporate farms are doing pretty dang good. They are investors, not just farmers and they know what they are doing. I think thats part of the problem. Much of the land is now gobbled up by investors who realize there is a large profit to me made not just now but in the future.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where in IL do you guys live/hunt that is surrounded by outfitters? I know of 1 in my area and he mostly outfits for waterfowl hunting.[&:]
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

For those that are irritated about outfitters grabbing up land...........the only ones to thank for that are your fellow hunters. If guys were not willing to pay to hunt they (and leases) would not exist. You can't blame the landowners for taking money for something instead of giving it away for free.
I agree

They have a family and taxes to pay on that land...........farmers around me are FAR from wealthy so I wouldn't blame them one bit. They would be crazy not to take the money.
I somewhat agree but mainly disagree. I've lived in the midwest all of my life and grew up on a small farm. Many if not the majority of the farms are now corporate operations. Even 2,500 acres is not considered that large any longer. Farm land is being grabbed up at record prices, even way out in the boonies. Right now with the bio fuel surge, beans are $12 a bushel and corn at $4 a bushel. So the large corporate farms are doing pretty dang good. They are investors, not just farmers and they know what they are doing. I think thats part of the problem. Much of the land is now gobbled up by investors who realize there is a large profit to me made not just now but in the future.

I don't doubt that some farmers make a nice profit.........I simply stated that the guys I know around me are not rolling in money that is for sure.

We worry about outfitters scooping up all the land??........God forbid one of these huge corporations figures out that guys will gladly drop $8,000-$10,000 a year to hunt on prime land. Even a 50 million investment could be easily made back in under 10 years...........and for that much money you could own half a state.

I pray we never see the days of MASSIVE hunting "clubs" that sell memberships like Gold's Gym.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I agree

I don't doubt that some farmers make a nice profit.........I simply stated that the guys I know around me are not rolling in money that is for sure.

We worry about outfitters scooping up all the land??........God forbid one of these huge corporations figures out that
guys will gladly drop $8,000-$10,000 a year to hunt on prime land
. Even a 50 million investment could be easily made back in under 10 years...........and for that much money you could own half a state.

I pray we never see the days of MASSIVE hunting "clubs" that sell memberships like Gold's Gym.
Isn't paying $4,000 for 4 days getting close to that? While I was hunting I saw this outfitter that hunt's beside me bring in 7 different hunters to hunt during the course of one week-- If they are paying anywhere from $3500 to $4000, thats around $26-28,000 in one week. No wonder he was able to goto all the neighbors and tried to buy up all 2,000 acres!

What got me thinking about this was because I read an article in a magazine talking about hunters in Illinois having difficulty finding hunting grounds anymore because so much land is beginning to be outfitted, and Im pretty sure it said IL is the most outfitted state in the country.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have NO objection to guides in Canada, you have to have them I realize that. You can't go up there in that wilderness by yourself and expect to know what to do. Thats why I said mainly in Illinois- for one, I'm in Illinois and I'm supposed to keep the topic localized, and two, there's alot less ground to be had in Illinois then there is in Canada.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I am an Outfitter in Missouri, I feel very lucky and proud to be able to make a living doing what I enjoy to do. I don't look at what I do any differant than if I were a Trapper or a Commercial fisherman, or a custom farmer, For instance, if a custom farmer had all the land he could lease, or cash rent, taken up in an area, that he could plant and harvest on and make a living, and you are a custom farmer and can't farm the ground you always had to farm, does that make All custom farmers a bad Buiss? Same with trapping and commercial fishing, and the list goes on and on. The statement that Outfitters make so much money that they lease up everything in the county may or may not be true, but so could people that don't have anything to do withOutfitting. There are lots of people that could Buy the county. Its free Interprise in this country. Ipromise you that alot of this public landthat is purchased by the State and by the Gov, is not purchased for a place for you to hunt, these are purchased with a lot of underlying agendas, they are just opened up for you to hunt, some, some not.Any outfitter worth his salt, puts thousands of dollars back into the ground, for his benafit of course but also helping all of the surrounding area's. Food plots, feeding programs, sanctuary's, selective harvest, and the list goes on and on. These animals don't stay on our leases, they travel miles and miles helping all surrounding area's with bigger and better and stronger genetics. Bigger herds, larger flocks and lots of monies pumped into the economy to boot. Outfitters also offer a place for the many people in this country who haveno experiance hunting or a place to hunt, and also a placeforhunterswith no quality hunting, a place to experiance a truly managed area. Yes its a shame the land is not all open for anyone to just park and go hunting, but it holds true for any other activities that happens on private ground. I say if there is an outfitter close to you, chances are the wildlife in the area is getting a big boost in all ways.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Don, If your looking to take it a step further and give a retired, fixed income guy a break on a guided hunt I'm the guy.. I do agree with what you stated, as long as a big fence is not in the future. That's what I'm seeing around me.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

glockman55, thanks for the kind words! I can't advertise here, but would gladly work with you on a Hunt, because I truly love the sport and the challenge of outsmarting these big old Bucks!! especially with a stick and string.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Spike

I can't stand outfitters. Just because they go and get all the prime land... and piss off alot of people. because they can no longer hunt there any more with out paying all the money. in time it's goin to be the only way that you can hunt. unless you own your land..
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This poll is definitely biased in structure. I have used outfitters in a few cases mostly because you either had to by law ( caribou ) or with limited time it makes sense to have established stands and accomodations waiting for you in a new area . Some are crooks and some are legitimate people earning a living. I will use them again as there is no way I can realistically "pre scout" a Western state prior to a hunt. I don't use them in my home province when hunting deer, moose and bear but don't mind contributing to a local economy when doing road trip hunts.

Quick Reply: What is your view on Outfitters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.