Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The ass shot??

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The ass shot??

Has anyone ever taken the ass shot on a deer? I have heard this is really a devistating shot, and very easy to make because of the large artery and many veins in the rump.

I ask because I passed this shot on the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods 2 years ago. This big bad momba jomba was 15 yards for about a minute broad side and I could not move or draw because he was looking in my direction. then he turned away and stood there Showing me his jewles for about another minute before walking away. I felt good I let the shot pass, but offten cry at the lost oppertunity.

edit: Please refrain from using symbols ie @ to skirt the profanity filter, if it's allow it's allowed, if not do not skirt it, it could have been deleted.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Default RE: The @ss shot??

I hope you are joking.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

The buck my dad took this year as an accidental ham shot. String caught his sleeve at the shot and threw it right -- right into the buck's back hip.

He wound up hitting the main artery and we found the buck about 50 yards, piled up. Not a shot I would advocate, but it is lethal.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Oh its lethal alright, so is putting your b@lls in a vice grip, but you wouldnt do that would you?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My step father will take the shot if he can. Henever has lost one and he too says and I seen, they only go about 50 yards, and lots of blood,,,all of the blood it seams.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me thats not a shot opportunity so the arrow stays put.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aaahhh the texas heart shot, haha. Not a shot to take in anyones book but I've done it once by accidentwith a doe that stepped forward when I released. They don't go far thats for sure but if you miss the artery your SOL and the deer is wounded to die of infection later. My buddy made this shot this year too by accident. The doe spun away from him when he shot jumping his string and he hit her 1 inch from her pooper and drove it up in deep killin her within 80 yards of shot. Done it with guns on drives before too by accident. You never shoot for there but it sure is nice when you get lucky and that artery saves your mistake. WCL
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

With a bow, not one I'd consider.

I have used it as a follow up shot with a rifle with great success.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 AM

There have obviously been a lot of animals killed with less than ideal shots. One of my buddies put a perfect gut shot on whitetail buck back in November with a Rage two blade. Deer only made it 50 yards before collapsing from loss of blood. If you look at the rear end of a deer, there are areas where a broadhead could pass without hitting any big arteries. There is also some very heavy bone mass back here that can stop a broadhead cold. Not a responsible shot, IMO.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 AM

There is definitely a large enough artery running through the hips that the shot can be lethal, but again... I wouldn't advocate taking this shot.

Quick Reply: The ass shot??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.