Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban >

Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Look at the words and phrases I highlighted below.......

Nichols' call for Sunday bow hunting defeated[/align]

By LILLIAN KAFKA[/align] [email protected]Friday, January 25, 2008[/align]
RICHMOND -- A House of Delegates subcommittee killed a Prince William County delegate's attempt to allow bow hunting on Sundays after hearing protests from farm and agricultural lobbyists.

"The reasons for [opposition] begin with faith, and they expand to those people such as horse riders who enjoy the woods on Sundays," said Wilmer Stoneman III, a lobbyist for the Farm Bureau of Virginia. Del. Paul F. Nichols, D-Occoquan, called the Sunday prohibition of hunting on private property "outdated." He said he proposed the idea at the request of bow hunters who work Monday through Saturday. His bill, HB 1456, would have allowed bow hunting on Sundays on private property for only two years.(Yes the bill said PRIVATE PROPERTY, so how are people in danger of being hit by an arrow?) Before he heard the request, the delegate from suburban Washington, D.C., said he didn't even know Virginia prohibited hunting on Sundays.

"We've had this ongoing discussion about hunting on Sundays," said R. Lee Ware, R-Powhatan, chairman of the subcommittee. He joked and asked Nichols, "Boy, why'd you bring this bill to this committee?"( I can hear the Duke's Of Hazard song in the background), Katie Kyger Frazier, lobbyist for the Virginia Agribusiness Council, said the only day during hunting season that horse riders can ride in the woods without fear of coming into crossfire is Sundays.(ITS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY MORONS!)

PATHETIC but I will write Delegate Nichols and tell him thank you for his attempt to change the law.

[/align]
Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

You're up against one heck of an establishment, there.

"Logic" has no place in their stance.

This sorta reminds of Dean Wermer presiding over the Fraternity court's case against the Delta'sin Animal House.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

There is no way this can be constitutional when dealing with private property. This is a property rights issue as much, if not more than a hunting issue.

I am surprised someone has not approached it from that angle, but maybe they have and just don't have the funds/desire necessary to fight it all the way.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We need the NRA to step in with the funds to back up a good lawyer. It is defiinitely a violation of one's individual rights on his/her property. I cannot understand why the government feels that they have a right to control bowhunting on private properties on Sundays.....seems weird that they have taken such a long/hard stance on this ban.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM

Is the game and fish department in VA a state agency? In MO, they are a seperate entity, not governed by the state.

They can "get away with" a lot more if it is seperate.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

I would say it's more of a religious issue than anything else here Va, they may not want to admit it though, very conservative and Bible thumping here, keep thy sabbath Holy.....I guess..
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't believe someone from NC or VA hasn't fought it on religious aspects, either.

"Thy" sabbath and "The" sabbath are two different days.....depending on which religious faith you prescribe to.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 AM

GMATT, I think people have pushed it, but I really think they don't allow b/c of the dog hunting here in this part of the state. western part I don't know. The religious issue may also play a huge role with the more rural areas too. Thy-the Sabbath, explain??
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know, I get so sick and tired of hearing the argument of "the only time we can use the woods is on Sundays." That is complete BS. I see people out riding horses, walking, riding motorcycles, walking dogs, jogging, etc. all the time while hunting, so they are still using the woods, and guess what? They never know I am there. Besides, hunting season is 4 months out of the year for hard core hunters, and 3-4 weeks for normal hunter, and 2-3 days for weekend warriors. So, even with hardcore hunters there are still 8 months out of the year that the woods are completely available.

The no Sunday hunting laws are ridiculous, especially when you consider that many guys (myself included) mainly only have weekends to hunt.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point GMMAT--I guess if one were Jewish that they could not hunt on Saturdays for religous reasons and could not hunt on Sundays due to game laws...that would be tough.

Quick Reply: Virginia affirms Sunday bowhunt ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.