Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does anything else compare?? >

Does anything else compare??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anything else compare??

Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anything else compare??

its hard to say....

i REALLY enjoy spring gobbler hunting with my "critter gitter" 12ga...thats always been my favorite hunting till i started bowhunting..

just got into predator hunting this year....its pretty addicting...you know your addicted when its 9pm and -10--- -20 degrees with windchill and your out there in the snow with a light and caller...pretty fun stuff...

summer time, i enjoy sitting high up on a hill top watching the fields and pastures with my groundhog gun...long range shooting is a blast and a challenge..i love it..

fall and winter i love small game hunting...exspecially ruffed grouse when the action is hot...

all year long i absolutely love running coon hounds. i started running hounds soon after learning to walk...something about hunting with dogs just doesnt compare to anything else...

i love making smoke with my flintlock in the winter deer hunting...

then, theres bow hunting for deer in the fall...i love it..sitting up in the treestand waiting...getting that deer within 30yds and getting that perfect shot and watching that perfect arrow flight and watching that arrow slice open the chest cavity and disappear...

really cant pick a favorite....i DO give up small game and fall turkey hunting to bow hunt. everything else happens at different times of the year so i cant say if i love one more than the other...i love it all.

im a hunter...im a fishermen....in the end i am outdoorsman...plain and simple...

different strokes for different folks....some of you might think im nuts for sitting in the dark with negative wind chills trying to call in predators....you might think im nuts for sitting in a hay field at 4pm at the end of july when its 90+ degrees out there...bugs crawling on you...you either cover up your skin and sweat or get sun burnt....and for what? to make a 350yd shot on a groundhog...some of you would really think im nuts for chasing coon hounds a mile or 2 up and over the hills and through the brush in the dark to get to the tree and not even shoot the coon because its "in your training woods"

but theres people out there that look at us bowhunters and say "Boy them guys are idiots...its raining and 30 degrees out and they are sitting up there in that treestand getting soaked..."

i havent found a form of hunting i did not enjoy as of yet...getting into new forms of huntng is actually a killer...flintlock consumed me and emptied my wallet...then it was bowhunting and same story..then it was the groundhog rifle..that really emptied the wallet and took up every evening this summer...now its predator hunting im sitting here half sick because i sat out in the freezing cold and got sweaty walking to stands and stayed out way to late and came home exhausted...the light, caller, hand calls etc all take cash out of my wallet...

but, i love it...nothing else i rather do....beats spending my time and money on anything else...i dont wanna know what id be doing if i wasnt an outdoorsmen
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

-compare? nope, not for me personally. Nothing really does outside of my faith, wife and kids time.

-I enjoy being in the mountains year around, hunting, scouting, shed hunting, glassing etc. Hunting season for me is game time.. the rest of the year; scouting, strategy, prep work, practice is what ups the odds come game days.

-Those 100 degree days in the summers when everyone is hitting the lake, the local watering hole, softball tournamentsyou name it, you'll find me perched in the eveningson some mountain clearcut or ridge glassing until dark. Often by myself or occasionally with a family member. I really enjoyit when no one else is in the woodsand the most careful animals show themselvesin the daylights last hour or half of hour. Often hunters I talk to here at homehave no idea what is really out there.

-I fish a little bit (used to a ton growing up) and will more with the boys getting older but there is plenty of time in the summer days for that.. being a teacher is nice when it comes to free time with the family and still allowing me to get out and scout in the evenings..
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

Vabowman I hear you. I use to fish 40+ hours a week including running the beaches at Cape Hatteras three weeks a year. We even spent our honeymoon there so as not to missone of the best times to fish, October/November. Then I discovered bow hunting. We have a family house in Brigantine, NJ. and every yearI tellmy wifeI'll get a permit for the truck so we can run the beaches in the fall for stripers and every year I don't do it. Stripers or bowhunting ? No contest!
Cape Hatteras huh? Do you know of Oden's Dock? There's a restaraunt/commercial fishing dock there by that name.