Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taxidermist need Love Too! >

Taxidermist need Love Too!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taxidermist need Love Too!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taxidermist need Love Too!

Ok...this is not really what it sounds like but I want to see the other side of coin on how some Taxidermist have been treated badly or have gotten the raw end of the deal from Customers? [&:]

I just read the Post about killing your Buck early to get your mount back early too and the one where Shultz (I think) hasn't got his Bear mount back in 8 years....Yikes!!! [:@]

When I took my Buck in to be mounted I walked into the other room while my Taxi was talking to another Customer...and being the nosey Deer Hunter that I am I was checking out several finished mounts still hanging on his wall from the 2005 and 2007 Season thatCustomers have failed to pay for or finish paying them off and like a lost Puppy waiting for someone to buy them and take them home I fell in love with a beautiful 3 X 3 Mulie Mount that would look awesome on my Log Home wall!

So I would like to hear a few Horror Stories or Customer done me wrong Stories from anyone that is into the Taxidermist Business or honest Hunters that will admit they still owe money on past mounts or have left their mounts hanging on the wall at a Taxi's Business and haven't payed or pick them up for months or years!

P.S. or have you ever bought someone else's mount that wasn't paid for or picked up?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Taxidermist need Love Too!

I've got a turkey at my taxidermist's shop that I could have picked up 6 weeks ago. I've paid him all but $100.

Now....rest of the story....

I told him I wantd to mount it on a deadfall. When I shot this bird.....the arrow passed thru and lodged in an old deadfall limb. I broke the limb off..BH still lodged....and that's what I was going to mount the burd on. I even took it to him (the limb). He told me he didn't need to hang onto the limb....and kept my bird. When he calls me and tells me it's almost done....I go over there. he's mounted the feet FLAT. My "design" is out the window, now....and I have to start over with another idea. So......I don't mind him having to sit on my bord until I do so (which I did, just yesterday).

My principle taxi has mounts hanging in all the archery shops around here with a plaque denoting his shop (for advertising purposes). My guess is.....these are all mounts people have left in his shop and not paid for. I'mbetting it happens a lot.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

When I took my Buck in to be mounted I walked into the other room while my Taxi was talking to another Customer...and being the nosey Deer Hunter that I am I was checking out several finished mounts still hanging on his wall from the 2005 and 2007 Season thatCustomers have failed to pay for or finish paying them off and like a lost Puppy waiting for someone to buy them and take them home I fell in love with a beautiful 3 X 3 Mulie Mount that would look awesome on my Log Home wall!

P.S. or have you ever bought someone else's mount that wasn't paid for or picked up?

I have never bought a mount that was not mine but I would NO not to in my trophy room but to make some wall complete. I am looking for a fox head mount.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure taxidermists get stuck more than you think, like most people in business. Most however won't start a mount without a deposit that at least pays for materials or a tad more. So all they really have invested is their time which is valuable no doubt. Good thing is mounts, etc. are pretty easy to sell. I have sold Whitetail mounts, Mule Deer mounts, Elk mounts as well as Bear mounts and Bear Rugs.

After all there is only so much room and I currently have 6 whitetails, 1 Mule Deer with one at the taxidermist, 1 Bull Elk, 1 Antelope, 1 Full size Turkey, and 2 Full size Bears with another at the Taxidermist. May have to thin out again soon

A guy once told me you might be a Redneck if you owe your Taxidermist more than you owe on your house[8D]

Dan