Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand compensating rangefinder >

Treestand compensating rangefinder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand compensating rangefinder

Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Treestand compensating rangefinder

Every time I use my range finder, I'll range a tree at the same height I am then I'll move down to the base of the tree and range is again to find the difference, it's never more than a half a yard to one yard depending on how far it is. I generally don't get to high in the tree though...16-18ft so I really don't see the need for it for my type of hunting.

I agree those numbers are way out of wack.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bet that feature would be useful elk/mule deer hunting where you might be on a ridge and ranging an animal in a valley for a rifle shot. I can't see it being that useful for bowhunting.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I bet that feature would be useful elk/mule deer hunting where you might be on a ridge and ranging an animal in a valley for a rifle shot. I can't see it being that useful for bowhunting.
Exactly, and maybe not even then, as the ballistic doesn't make a huge difference with a rifle as it does with a bow. For bow hunting, you really don't need this type of rangefinder, if you have practiced and shot your bow in a variety of angles nad yardages. I like to know how far from me it is, the arrow still has to travel that distance. Granted, it may pick up a few FPS on that decline it's traveling on since it is working with gravity, not against it, but a few FPS and a little bit higher hit ain't such a bad thing when shooting from a treestand, as we are often more worried about our exit. I'm not sold on them. And yes, that math was right, if he range those differing distances, he was WAY high, or exaggerating to try to sell a product that in all honesty seems more like a gimmick than anything, for archers.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you hunting in hilly areas,it is a nice feature,that is all I can say.

There was a real good thread on these a month or so ago.

I have 1 stand that I could be off 5 yards on a 40 yard shot and my stand is only 20'.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: kfish2258

i have a bushnell 400 & tried several times checking yardage while in my treestand to another tree across from me & then down to bottom of same tree never seen anything other than 2 yards maximun
Wow! I was going to say the exact same thing! Great minds think alike!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

If you hunting in hilly areas,it is a nice feature,that is all I can say.

There was a real good thread on these a month or so ago.

I have 1 stand that I could be off 5 yards on a 40 yard shot and my stand is only 20'.
i agree. if someone is in the market for a new rangefinder, why NOT get this feature. no additional setup in field, same read out, just more accurate. It may be 1 yard more accurate or 70 (rifle situations), but the point is, it is more accurate.The commercials overplay its importance, but theres no reason to not get this technology over a normal rangefinder if buying new. Not ground breaking enough to replace a current rangefinder though, JMHO.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

for most bowhunting distances, especially in a treestand, the math works out to be basically the same. However if you are out west on a ridge/cliff shooting at an animal that is down a 60 degree hill, and the range finder says 40 yards or so, it will make a difference.

It's more important to know how you personally hit when aiming up/down. Form matters and some people will hit high when aiming down hill.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 AM

Got one for Mr Java for his birthday.. he doesn't see much of a difference.. Has more bells and whistle to figure out.. But, now we see it was a waste of money...

Last weekend we went out for winter bow and it wouldn't register anything.. wasn't working..

So... if this one goes , we'll go back to the reliable 199.00 ones..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

a²+b²=c²

If you are 21ft(7yds, a²) up in the tree and thedeer is 45ft(15yds, b²) from the tree then he will range at 49.5ft(16.5yds, c²). If the deer is 75ft(25yds, b²) from your tree he will range at 77.88ft(25.96yds, c²).

Wth the math you can see that the farther out the shot, the more accurate the rangefinder. You can also see that the rangefinder would never be more than 2yds off (as previously stated) unless you were higher than any tree I can get in. Bottomline for me though is that the distance from me to the deer is what the rangefinder states. Since my shots will not be longer than 25 yds any angle compensation is kind of useless. The nikon 440 works just great for me.