Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is your state's hunting better or worse then when you were a kid? >

Is your state's hunting better or worse then when you were a kid?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is your state's hunting better or worse then when you were a kid?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is your state's hunting better or worse then when you were a kid?

What i meant is that i agree with what atlas said but then i added (though this may only be in my area) that with the surplus tags people feel the need to bang away at all the deer they see hoping that they can fill all their tags and this haphazard hunting kills, wounds, or scares off all the deer
Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: greenboy

What i meant is that i agree with what atlas said but then i added (though this may only be in my area) that with the surplus tags people feel the need to bang away at all the deer they see hoping that they can fill all their tags and this haphazard hunting kills, wounds, or scares off all the deer

I do think that ifyou give someone 5 tags they feel like they need to try and kill 5 deer.......I am all for someone shooting whatever they want but not necessarily everything that moves.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Gamespooker is 100% correct, Georgia is way better than before. I do not see the numbers we once did in some area but the quality of bucks taken accross the state is 10 fold. We have 2 potential booners that are main frame 8's this year. To see a Ga deer grow that big is what I am talking about. One of the deer was on a trail cam for over 3 years. 10 years ago the deer would have died as a120" 2 1/2 yr old. Did I just type that Ga now has deer at 21/2 close to P & Y. WOW
Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly my point Atlas. BTW where are you from in NY im around Buffalo
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM

yeah it is def. better in missouri. they are getting ready to switch seasons around tho in 2009. we will have to see then tho how it is
Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

In a nutshell I think the DEC tries to apply micromanagement to the whole state.
Funny some say MI has the same issue

UP and NLP I feel the Hunting is better, but deer seeing is not.

SLP In my view
Hunting is worst, but deer seeing is better.

We are held back by the NRC, Social Science plays a role in are deer management policy more than it should IMO.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started bow hunting in 1988 in Michigan. I saw more deer back then.

Now I see ALOT more bowhunters and fewer deer.

I'd have to conclude the hunting has gotten worse overall in Michigan (lower peninsula).
Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i started hunting when i was 10.im 22 now.hunted the same ground for 12 years in a row now.the amount of deer are down....the amount of kills are down.but we are seeing better bucks...an i give that credit to 6 pt or better rule we made the past 3 years..... we havent shot a doe off the properity in 3 years either but not seeing any kinda increase to them...??
Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Started when i was 10 and now 38. There were far fewer deer back in the 80's in TN but much larger Racks than now. We have tons of deer but with so liberal hunting season they just dont get the age as before. In some areas 3 doe day and 3 buck a year not counting what can be taken on WMA which doesn't count against your state total.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say here in York,co. Pa the numbers are down and the hunting is get difficult! Everything is building up and its hard to find land to hunt! Definatly not the numbers they use to be. I could go to one feild as a kid and count 30-50 deer in a feild. Now maybe 3-5 due to hunting and developement!

Quick Reply: Is your state's hunting better or worse then when you were a kid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.