HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   [Deleted] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/228511-deleted.html)

Deleted User 01-22-2008 09:59 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

txjourneyman 01-22-2008 10:02 AM

RE: Turkey Broadhead ?

If it worked why try to fix it?

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

What is a good Turkey BH ?

NAP SpitfireGobbler Getter

mobow 01-22-2008 10:06 AM

Fuse introduced one made by American broadhead company, the strutbuster. Made specifically for turkeys and it's pretty wicked.

MeanV2 01-22-2008 10:06 AM

My choices would be the new Bullhead from Magnus. I also like the Spitfires for Turkeys. All that said in Dec when I traveled to NE. to Mule Deer hunt I picked up a Turkey Tag. I was loaded with the Slick Trick 125 Magnum and was not about to change. It did such a job on this Gobbler I may load them again this Spring on Turkeys;)

Dan

Deleted User 01-22-2008 10:08 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

GMMAT 01-22-2008 10:08 AM

I'll probably use the rage or the Rocky Mtn. brand of the rage.

If I were interested in having another turkey mounted....I might shy away from the rage. The damage it'll inflict will have your taxi cussing you.

Deleted User 01-22-2008 10:10 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Tuco 01-22-2008 10:10 AM

A well placed shot with a good sharp head will kill any turkey. Some people like for the arrow to stay in the turkey but a 1 inch wild slice through the vitals and he is DEAD.

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

You know, I wouldnt mind sighting in last years bow for Turkey BHs. I think I may do that, and just use my General for big game.

Thanks for the reccomendations, I will check those heads out and get the other bow on-line. It just seems like expandables are frowned upon for Gobblers.

I can't see why you WOULDN'T use an expandable for long beards, it's the only game I shoot expandables at!

Schultzy 01-22-2008 10:11 AM

Here's the Bull Head Broadhead from Magnus..

TeeJay 01-22-2008 10:19 AM

use what you use for deer. You still have to hit them where you are aiming. I use Rocky Moutain Iron Heads. Fixed blade. It shoots good for me. I think I am going to switch to the Rage 2 blade next year so I will probly shoot them this spring.

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 10:21 AM

I've used the NAP GG with success, but man, I might need to look at the Bullhead. Looks Narly! I'm a broadhead collector, anyway!

bloodcrick 01-22-2008 10:44 AM

I was going to use the rage this season, but GMMAT scared me from using them on turkeys :D, you never know, you may want a mount without alot of repair work. my last season bird got a generic expandable stuck in him shooting a cranked down 63 lbs, it hung with him, ill probably use them again, after sharpining.

buckeyehntr5 01-22-2008 10:45 AM

Here is the Gobbler Getter

MeanV2 01-22-2008 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I was going to use the rage this season, but GMMAT scared me from using them on turkeys :D, you never know, you may want a mount without alot of repair work. my last season bird got a generic expandable stuck in him shooting a cranked down 63 lbs, it hung with him, ill probably use them again, after sharpining.
The damage a broadhead does on a Turkey if you are considering a Full Mount has been a concern of mine. I have an Eastern Full Mount, but not a Merriam. Even though I have killed 2 Merriams there was so much damage to them both that I didn't want to use them for a Full mount. Even the Slick Trick did a lot of damage!:(

Maybe I'll just use a Blunt to the head:eek:

Dan

jackflap 01-22-2008 11:15 AM

Originally by Tuco
A well placed shot with a good sharp head will kill any turkey. Some people like for the arrow to stay in the turkey but a 1 inch wild slice through the vitals and he is DEAD.

This is true, but a DEAD turkey and a DEAD RECOVERED turkey are two different things. Turkeys tend to leave very little if any blood trail and I want something that is going to knock them down and hopefuly leave an arrow in them.

The Gobbler Getter which is mentioned in this thread, is by far the best braodhead for turkeys, imo.
Because it is blunt on the end and does not "slice" right through the bird, it tends to literally knock the bird down with the arrow still in them. A good shot will leave the bird dead right there. A marginal shot will usually keep the bird on the ground as the arrow is still in the bird making it a lot easier to run the turkey down and recover.

Originally by DropTine249
I really dont feel like re-sighting in for a new BH if I dont need too.
If you are serious about killing AND recovering a bird, you need to reduce your bow poundage to the minimum so as to REDUCE penetration and you will therefore need to re-sight anyway.

philip_grubaugh 01-22-2008 11:40 AM

i have killed a few turkeys with a bow and a fix blade is not the key i dont think. i have killed mine with rocket mini blasters. a mechanical is much better. like the other people have said as well if it worked once why mess with it. i would keep doing what your doing

MOTOWNHONKEY 01-22-2008 11:47 AM

I used the Gobbler Guillotine (sp?) last spring. One Tom was be-headed and the other was hanging by a quater inch of flesh. The only negative with the head is the blades take a beating and they are a pain on the move. To shoot and actually see a fricken head pop off is a bit of a trip in it's own.

MeanV2 01-22-2008 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: philip_grubaugh

i have killed a few turkeys with a bow and a fix blade is not the key i dont think. i have killed mine with rocket mini blasters. a mechanical is much better. like the other people have said as well if it worked once why mess with it. i would keep doing what your doing
I Agree! Turkeys are the only thing I would even consider a mechanical on any more;)

Dan

bloodcrick 01-22-2008 12:03 PM

This is the one i have pondered on getting, looks like a great head for the situation (turkey hunting)

ORIGINAL: buckeyehntr5

Here is the Gobbler Getter

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap
This is true, but a DEAD turkey and a DEAD RECOVERED turkey are two different things. Turkeys tend to leave very little if any blood trail and I want something that is going to knock them down and hopefuly leave an arrow in them.
This is very well stated, and I agree fully.

The Gobbler Getter which is mentioned in this thread, is by far the best braodhead for turkeys, imo.
Again, totally agree with you, and will be using a GG for the third year if a broadhead bug doesn't bite me, like it usually does.

If you are serious about killing AND recovering a bird, you need to reduce your bow poundage to the minimum so as to REDUCE penetration and you will therefore need to re-sight anyway.
This is where we disagree, only a little. Last year, on a spring turkey I used a GG. I shot him at 6 STEPS, about 3 yards. I was using a Hoyt Trykon at 72 lbs. The arrow tipped with a GG STUCK into the bird, knocked him down. He ran 5 yards and expired. I do not think you need to reduce your poundage while using a GG, I could be wrong, but I know NOBODY at any poundage that has gotten a COMPLETE pass through. This is why I love the GG.

Deleted User 01-22-2008 12:20 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bloodcrick 01-22-2008 12:23 PM

I thought the GG was for head, neck shots!! are you talking body shots with it?? I can see where it would not pass through the body with all the surface area of the blading.

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Again, totally agree with you, and will be using a GG for the third year if a broadhead bug doesn't bite me, like it usually does.

This is where we disagree, only a little. Last year, on a spring turkey I used a GG. I shot him at 6 STEPS, about 3 yards. I was using a Hoyt Trykon at 72 lbs. The arrow tipped with a GG STUCK into the bird, knocked him down. He ran 5 yards and expired. I do not think you need to reduce your poundage while using a GG, I could be wrong, but I know NOBODY at any poundage that has gotten a COMPLETE pass through. This is why I love the GG.

MeanV2 01-22-2008 12:26 PM

I thought the GG was for head, neck shots!! are you talking body shots with it?? I can see where it would not pass through the body with all the surface area of the blading.

The GG is/was not designed for head shots!;)

Dan

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 12:29 PM

I've shot my first one, neck area near the beard at 15 yards, no pass through, dropped dead. Last year body shot with gg half pass though at as stated, ~3 yards, half pass through, dead five yards away. So yes, I've taken a body shots.

bloodcrick 01-22-2008 12:33 PM

im surprised i have not heard this before :eek:Im not trying to start something, i just like to know ;)thanks guys!!

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 12:36 PM

Understood.

But I ask this...

What would the dif be between cranking down your bow and using a GG body shot. The end result is the same. The blades cut a hole. You get extreme penetration, just not a pass through. Anyone else use GG with body shots, I could be using them "wrong" but have 100% success with them.

MeanV2 01-22-2008 12:41 PM

Understood.

But I ask this...

What would the dif be between cranking down your bow and using a GG body shot. The end result is the same. The blades cut a hole. You get extreme penetration, just not a pass through. Anyone else use GG with body shots, I could be using them "wrong" but have 100% success with them.
Kyle, you are using them correct. They are intended for Body shots and as you already know they work rather well;)

Dan

GMMAT 01-22-2008 12:42 PM

I shot my '07 bird with a NAP Spitfire.

Same concept. MASSIVE damage. 10yd recovery. Pass thru.

MN/Kyle 01-22-2008 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Understood.

But I ask this...

Kyle, you are using them correct. They are intended for Body shots and as you already know they work rather well;)

Dan
Heck, I thought maybe I was starting a FAD:eek:

Try them out BloodCreek, you'll be happy.

MeanV2 01-22-2008 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I shot my '07 bird with a NAP Spitfire.

Same concept. MASSIVE damage. 10yd recovery. Pass thru.
Pass Through? The GG Spitfires were designed to prevent pass throughs which is believed by most to be better.;)That's why I think the GG's are better than the standard Spitfires, although you proved either one will work.

Dan