Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - Competitive archery - do you do it? >

Bowhunters - Competitive archery - do you do it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I shoot competitively year-round
6.67%
I do it in the offseason
44.44%
There is no such thing as the "offseason." No time to waste.
26.67%
Even if I did have free time, shooting foam is just not my idea of fun
22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - Competitive archery - do you do it?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunters - Competitive archery - do you do it?

LOL Fran, Matt is that good at 3D and killed a bigger buck than most, with a recurve, you must suck.[8D]

Of course everyone has "bigger than Rob's" in thier avatar, what's that say for me. [&:] Course consistantly putting a 3.5 year old on the ground AND being competitive, HHhmmm. [8D]
Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Germ - I don't shed hunt in my hunting areas, just new areas and abandoned ones. And I think I did allright this year, considering
You varmit hunt? Scout?
How many times past March 30th do you walk in your area you hunt? Every time you do your chances of tagging a 3.5 year old buck or older goes down.

It's not that much harder to shoot a mature buck where we hunt Fran, just takes a lot more patience
If you truly are the King, step up to the plate and swing away

Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Boy, you guys can turn a simple little poll into a real mudslinging match... Let's get back on task.

We're all restrained by the confines of life itself - whether it be family, work, money, kids, other hobbies, etc... Everyone here has limitedamounts offree time. This isn't rocket science:
[ul][*]I'd be willing to bet the farm that competing at the top national level in archery does require a significant time investment.[*]Shooting a big deer every year, DIY-style,also requires a similar time investment. [/ul]

Time, by its basic nature, is mutually exclusive. That is, you can't do two things at the same time. You're either hammering away at an x-ring, or you're out in the woods somewhere playing Rambo.

So, as archers, we choose to apportion our timealong a sliding scale. Going too far in either direction can have disastrous consequences. The question was:where do you lie?

I'm sure everyone here would love to have perpetual amounts of time to devote to both pursuits, but it just doesn't work that way. You have to make a choice. Some guys choose to take a shot at being the best competitive archer in the world. Other guys choose to spend almost 100% of their free time in the woods.

Rare are the guys like Matt, Matt & Buckeye - who are actually good at both. The fact is, most of us lie pretty faron one side or the other of themedian line. Since this is a "hunting" forum, I'd guess most of us would put competitive archery on the back burner in hunting season. However, that is NOT the case for everyone. I know plenty of guys around home who barely bowhunt at all. They choose to focus almost purely on competitive archery year-round. I could've cited them as examples, but none of you know who they are, so that would've been fruitless.

Me? 95% of my free time goes to hunting. I'm lucky if 5% of my hunting time is burned in front of a target. 5 arrows, and I'm bored out of my mind, unless I'm shooting with guys who are making it fun.

...and for whatever it's worth - I think Dan and Troy would do just fine out east. They might even luck out and find a shed or two. [8D]
nice backstroke[8D]
Old 01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I picked 'em, Rob. I didn't know if you still competed or not, or I'd have threw your name in there. I neededa fewbulletproof "examples" of guys who take a different approach - per Jeff's request. So, I picked Matt and Matt - since they both got big deer - and obviously spend more time thanmost of the rest of usshooting competitively.

I'm sure that somewhere along the line - both of those guys passed up a chance to scout/hunt and opted tospend the evening workingwith their competition rig.

I'malways accused of picking on people, so I intentionallychose examples who (at least I thought) couldn't be "picked on." But, y'all get mad anyway. LOL Like the girls table at 3rd period highschool lunch.

Germster, you nancy- I know what the biggest deer in my area look like...I'm doing just fine. 200+ guys in my local buck pool, and my deer would've taken 2nd if entered. 1st in 2000, Top 5 in '01 and '04.

And for what it's worth - you, Jeff andRJ seem to be the only guys struggling to understand what I was trying to say in my initial post. Everybody else was able to answer the question without getting all bent out of shape.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure that somewhere along the line - both of those guys passed up a chance to scout/hunt and opted tospend the evening workingwith their competition rig.
someone else deal with him today, LOL

Like guy at the jocks table, talk, talk talk
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

And for what it's worth - you, Jeff, Rob and RJ seem to be the only guys struggling to understand what I was trying to say in my initial post. Everybody else was able to answer the question without getting all bent out of shape.
Fran, explain to me how anything you read in my post is "bent out of shape". My goodness, it was tongue in cheek and I even busted on myself. WOW.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oops. Sorry rob, I thought u were mad too. Everybody is mad these days... I'll edit.

Just so I know who is mad, and who I'm still arguing with, can we start a mad list or something?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germster, you nancy- I know what the biggest deer in my area look like...I'm doing just fine. 200+ guys in my local buck pool, and my deer would've taken 2nd if entered. 1st in 2000, Top 5 in '01 and '04.
I want in on THAT buck pool
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

And for what it's worth - you, Jeff andRJ seem to be the only guys struggling to understand what I was trying to say in my initial post.
I wasn't struggling. I understood exactly what you were saying....which is FAR different from your backstroke.

Mad? Hell no.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:50 PM

I do it strictly to keep my shooting skills tuned up during the offseason... because of my hectic family life, as long as I am in a league I have an excuse to go shoot and get dedicated time to archery... if I stay home I spend ALL my time on the honeydew list and playing with the kids... besides, I don't really have a place to shoot at home without POing the neighbors (who all have small children)... its also an excuse to get my boys shooting as well...

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - Competitive archery - do you do it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.