Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cold hunt yesterday >

Cold hunt yesterday

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold hunt yesterday

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cold hunt yesterday

Hey friends,
Yesterday I had the chance to get out for an afternoon hunt. I was in my climber and settled in by 2:00, cold & breezy. Wind in my face temp about 35 and falling.
Nothing moving until about 4:15, I see 8 deer moving across the power lines headed in my direction through some real thick brush. They are moving slowly and I am wondering if they will be in range before dark.
Once they are about 45 to 50 yards away, they began to get nervous, looking at their back trail and then suddenly they spooked.... the ran back out into the powerline and stopped about 20 yards farther than they were. Now I am bumming... because it is getting closer to dark... and they were now farther off.I watched them feeding slowly back in my direction, but about the time they were getting into range it was too dark to keep thinking of getting a shot.
So I lower my bow and begin to get ready to climb down, when I see them spook again, now it is just the sound of them running off and the white flags flying.... thats whenI heard the coyotes begin to yip and yap.
Not too far out in the powerline cut through I can hear to yotes barking back forth... I hope I get to see them some time in the future, so I get a shot at those spoillers.... by the time I got back to my truck the temp was down to 30 degrees.... that is some cold bow hunting just to have it screwed in the end by the yotes.... but it was still great to get out there
for a few hours. I hope to get out again tomorrow.
DW
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold hunt yesterday

I hunted in some 0 degree weather this year in WI already. It was pretty cold then....hope you get a chance at those coyotes...good Luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad the yotes messed up your chances. Sounds like you still had a great late season hunt. Good luck on getting another crack at the deer or the yotes.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike

I'm going out this weekend and the high temp is only suppose to be in the single digits( hope there is no wind!!). When you get one of those yotes post some pics.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I always carry a Coyote call or two in my pac! Next time try lip squeaking them in, your deer hunts ruined either way at least you hunt won't be if you Kill a Coyote!

O' yeah 30 degrees is NOT cold!