Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need advice about gray wolf insulated camo... >

need advice about gray wolf insulated camo...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need advice about gray wolf insulated camo...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Spike

Default need advice about gray wolf insulated camo...

For all of you diehard gray wolf customers I need help in deciding which insulation to go with; the comformax lined or the comformax/liteloft lined.

I hunt in ne pa and the temp range that i want them for wouldbe in the mid40 degree to 20 range. Sometimes in Oct. its pretty warm. I mainly hunt from a treestand. I'm planning on getting bibs and a jacket.

Is just the comformax lined warm enough temps that range in the 20's ?

thanks for some help in making a big purchase....

Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need advice about gray wolf insulated camo...

Why pay the extra money for lined when you could buy the unlined stuff and use the extra money to buy layers for underneath? I have some of Jeff's unlined wolkskin. Went out two weekends ago... 20 degrees when we entered the woods... and with proper layering I was able to stay comfortable the entire morning (got down at 9 after I shot). The temps in Maryland are pretty similar to those in PA, so just thought I'd give a suggestion.

And to give you an idea about my layering that day... it was... UA ColdGear... Cabela's Polartech Power Dry Top/Bottom... Wool Top/Bottom... then the Wolfkin on bottom. I did have a Warp Knit jacket on (not Graywolf), but other than that... it was the layers that kept me content.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Just got a sample piece in the mail from Jeff. It is wolfskin with just the comformax lining. I dont think I would need anything heavier than this ever. I live in southern ny, temps range from upper 20s late season to 60s early season. It would actually be too heavy early season. My usual outfit is scentblocker fleece pull over and pants all season and this is slightly heavier.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hammy's exactly right.

For the temperature range you mentioned, I would see no need to buy anything else...but especially no need to go with the combo Comformax/Liteloft. That really is for the coldest temps.

Last night (the last night of my '07 season) it was 24 degrees when I left the woods. I had on Gray Wolf unlined wolfskin, with some knock-off UnderArmour as my first layer, some of that brown polypropolene Army cold weather system liners over that, and a brown wool Army sweater on top under the camp shirt.

I might pick up some stuff with the Liteloft in it at a later date just to help with the wind.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I know the unlined is "unlined", but is it just wolfskin on the inside or is there a thin liner?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it had a thin liner, it wouldn't be unlined. [8D]

Sorry. Couldn't help myself there.

No, with the unlined, you just see the back side of the fabric.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

It wouldn't have been right if you didn't! Thanks Greg. I'm a little suprised how heavy the comformax liner is, I thought it would've been thinner.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I owned a GWW jacket with the Comfortmax windbarrier lining and in my opinion its all the lining you need down to 20 degrees with proper layering. I am telling you that windbarrier lining really works and its the quietest piece of clothing I ever owned!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Spike

thanks for your input guys! It can't get much better then gettingopinions from guys that already own the product, that's what i love about this site.

And Greg.... you definately cost me a small fortune since i started visiting this site by introducing me to open patterns and predator! haha I now own spring green, fall gray, and will order gww insulated fall gray bibs and jacket within the next few days. Looking at those pics of you in your stand made me make the investment of some quality lined stuff.....AWESOME pattern!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Obviously with layering any weather can be tolerated, but I'm just concerned the wolfskin alone is just too lite. The comformax may add just a little too much. Not that I necessarily need it, but I was thinking that maybe a scent lok liner would add just the right amount to it. Any opinions? I just sent Jeff a email asking about other liner ops, so I'm sure I'll have a reply in about 11 seconds.

Quick Reply: need advice about gray wolf insulated camo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.