HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What did I just do??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/227268-what-did-i-just-do.html)

loogout1 01-14-2008 07:56 PM

What did I just do???

Why do I do these things to myself? Even when I was dialing my pro shop earlier in the day to see if they had any Airbornes in, I knew it was a bad thing. While I was waiting for the wife to get home tonite so I could, "just take a ride" to the shop, I knew it was a bad thing. Even when I was walking in, I knew it was a bad thing. That's the last thing I remember.
Anyway, OH MY GOD! Those things are fast! Shot both the 82 and the 101. Both awesome. I have an '05 Allegiance that I chronoed tonite at 269. 27" draw, 70lbs, acc at about 386g. The 101 at exactly the same draw, lbs, and arrow was 299. The 82, same set up, 309. 309 FPS! 40fps faster than my current set up. HOLY ****!!! GOTTAHAVEIT!!
Draw was good, long pull but a nice fall off and excellent wall.
My curent back up bow is now on the market, check the classifieds.

GMMAT 01-14-2008 08:12 PM

RE: What did I just do???

This is what I saw when I chrono'd the 82nd at my shop.

loogout1 01-14-2008 08:14 PM

GMMAT, whats your draw length?

GMMAT 01-14-2008 08:16 PM

The one I shot was 29". The one I have ordered is 28.5"

loogout1 01-14-2008 08:19 PM

Amazing how you just change the module to adjust draw length. My place has a stack of 82s and 101s still in boxes. The bows are both just unreal. That speed at my short draw just about floored me.

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-14-2008 08:39 PM

Gaining 40 fps....wow! If I did that over my Allegiance with my 82nd that I'm waiting on it'd be 345fps..my 06 Ally shoots 305fps. I don't expect those results however I'd be happier than all get out with around 325fps at about 65 lbs.!

Greg / MO 01-14-2008 08:43 PM

The birth certificate on the one I just got said it lit up the chrono at 337 before they sent it out to me... that's at a 29" draw length.

347 IBO ain't too shabby! ;):D

loogout1 01-14-2008 08:49 PM

My short draw has always been a handicap for me. I thought 269 was pretty good.............................................u ntil I shot 309!

GR8atta2d 01-15-2008 01:04 PM

That is awesome when you put numbers to it!

What is the difference when you put Deer sized game (or less) to it? I mean, just suppose that you doubled the speed of your old set-up at normal hunting range (say 30 yards ).

So now your arrow gets there in .5 a second instead of the 1 second. What does that do? Whats the advantage?

I'm being serious. The numbers are awesome but whats the gain? Help me become a speed freak.

;)And PS...Don't tell me how far a running deer can make it in .5 second cuz even with a speed bow I hope your not making that shot!

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-15-2008 01:45 PM

GR8, more than anything it's transfered into KE. And the Airbornes have a ton to spare. For most hunting situations, speed means nothing, it's just human nature to want.

As for logout, he's jumping 40 fps, from 269, to 309 is significant in misjudging yardages. With known distances, that just means his arrow gets there a hmpth faster and a hmpth means nothing. But with faster comes KE and momentum and that's nothing but good when jumping 40 fps. What may have been a bad shoulder shot, now may result into significant penetration in compared to the older setup. I remember many a day back in the day when my KE was way down. I made a couple bad hits on the shoulder, today, my bows blast through it and nothing else really has changed except I uped my KE and momentum.

For you and I, me for example, going from the Allegiance to the 82nd I'm probably going to gain roughly 30 fps. What does that mean to me, nothing except more KE I don't necessarily need but what it can do is allow me to lower my poundage while still out performing my Allegiance with the same arrow. Same arrow, faster, flatter, more KE, less poundage. Win, win, win, win, win. LOL ;) [8D]

BobCo19-65 01-15-2008 01:50 PM

For most hunting situations, speed means nothing, it's just human nature to want.
Human nature???

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-15-2008 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

For most hunting situations, speed means nothing, it's just human nature to want.
Human nature???
human nature
Main Entry: human nature Function:noun Date:1594 :the nature of humans; especially :the fundamental dispositions and traits of humans

[8D] :D
[/align] [/align]

The short answer to the definition of human nature is it is the sum of qualities and traits shared by all humans.;)

To want more speed.

quiksilver 01-15-2008 02:13 PM

Speed Envy-spid en[/b]-vee - (Noun)a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to the performance of another archer's bow, specifically the rapidity in movement, or swiftness in arrow travel; often denotesone's longing to possessarrow speedsachieved by another. USAGE: Don't mind him, he's got a bad case of speed envy.

BobCo19-65 01-15-2008 02:19 PM

Rob:

Thanks for the definition.

So your example is a trait shared by all humans. Even non-archers. Learn something new everyday I guess.

BobCo19-65 01-15-2008 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Speed Envy-spid en[/b]-vee - (Noun)a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to the performance of another archer's bow, specifically the rapidity in movement, or swiftness in arrow travel; often denotesone's longing to possessarrow speedsachieved by another. USAGE: Don't mind him, he's got a bad case of speed envy.

You're a funny guy Sully.......:D

Hunter Dan7 01-15-2008 02:34 PM

At a local bow shop they chronoed a 82nd with a 61lb draw with easton340 and 100 grain field tip at 29 inch draw at 348 fps. thats 72 feet faster than my Mathews outback. and yeah i have to have one now too. he even said that thats with the smooth mod in instead of the fast.

Jasonlester 01-15-2008 02:48 PM

I find it interesting that KE is brought up to explain the need for speed. Realisticaly it has always been more about not needing to know the difference between 12yards and 15, 18, 22... etc. Flatter shooting the less guess work when shooting.

KE is not only effected by speed of an arrow but also by weight of an arrow. A heavier arrow traveling slower can have the same KE as a light arrow traveling faster. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying if your in fact after KE speed is not the only factor.

To me I like a heavier arrow. These bows with an arrow on the heavy side should still produce good speed and have a ton of energy with the arrow. I'd just like to see someone that shoots more weight than the (usualy minimal weight) carbon super light etc....

Just my 2 cents. But speed isn't everything to me. That being siad.....DANG THATS FAST!

HuntingBry 01-15-2008 03:16 PM

Well, I was apprehensive when I saw the numbers on the 82nd as to what the draw cycle would be like. As luck would have it, my shop had a lefty in stock and I drew it. The draw was surprising for such a fast bow. It builds steadily to the peak and holds the stack for a bit and then drops to the valley. I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't want to have to draw it after sitting for 4 hours in the cold, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

If you like speed bows, it is a good one.

LKNCHOPPERS 01-15-2008 03:25 PM

To each their own, I like the speed but I do not go to a point where it makes my setup unstable or inconsistant. I like a lot of penetration so KE is important. With those new bows I look at it as free speed(still pulling 70# but gaining 30 or 40 fps), you just have to pay for the bow so it's not all free. Good luck with it. What proshop do you go to up there in Weschester, I used to live in Dutchess County.

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-15-2008 05:15 PM

Rob:

So your example is a trait shared by all humans. Even non-archers. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Nitpicking aren't we Bob or is there an issue?

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-15-2008 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I find it interesting that KE is brought up to explain the need for speed. Realisticaly it has always been more about not needing to know the difference between 12yards and 15, 18, 22... etc. Flatter shooting the less guess work when shooting.

KE is not only effected by speed of an arrow but also by weight of an arrow. A heavier arrow traveling slower can have the same KE as a light arrow traveling faster. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying if your in fact after KE speed is not the only factor.

To me I like a heavier arrow. These bows with an arrow on the heavy side should still produce good speed and have a ton of energy with the arrow. I'd just like to see someone that shoots more weight than the (usualy minimal weight) carbon super light etc....

Just my 2 cents. But speed isn't everything to me. That being siad.....DANG THATS FAST!
Yeah no kidding but for the sake of what I posted, I said SAME arrow, MORE speed is MORE KE. In fact, I even went further and mentioned that with me as an example, I can go from one bow, my Ally to the 82nd and use a lesser poundage bow with the same arrow and have more KE via more speed. HMMmmm

Jasonlester 01-15-2008 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Yeah no kidding but for the sake of what I posted, I said SAME arrow, MORE speed is MORE KE. In fact, I even went further and mentioned that with me as an example, I can go from one bow, my Ally to the 82nd and use a lesser poundage bow with the same arrow and have more KE via more speed. HMMmmm
True enough. :)

I think my old compound shoots somewhere around 220. LOL And my slefbows are around 150 fps. So that would be a huge jump for me....of course I can't imagine spending that much right now anway so I'll stick with what I got.

:)

JoshKeller 01-15-2008 09:24 PM

when I shot bows when buying my general, I put an 82'nd at 71 lbs, 30", with a 355 grain arrow at 346

loogout1 01-15-2008 09:27 PM

Yeah, its not cheap to make that upgrade but if you gotta have it........... Really is there any reason to be pulling 70lbs anymore? Probably not but thats exactly the point of something like this. At 70 with my current set up I'm getting 269. At say 60 with the 82nd I could still be getting close to 300. A full 30fps faster. More KE, flatter arrow, etc. WIN WIN WIN!!!

Matt/TN 01-15-2008 09:29 PM

Not to take anything away from Bowtech because most people who has shot them, likes them. BUT, wait til the Elite GTO hits the markets full swing. I finally got to draw one of the new Elite cam systems, and they are BAR NONE, the smoothest speed bow I've ever drawn. I'd put my life on it :D, it's "stiff" but the draw cycle is NOT harsh at all. I got to draw the 101st (which from what I've read is the same bow configuration as the 82nd except for limb length?) and it just felt like all the other Bowtech Binaries, with the exception of the General.

GMMAT 01-15-2008 09:37 PM

Not to take anything away from Bowtech because most people who has shot them, likes them. BUT, wait til the Elite GTO hits the markets full swing. I finally got to draw one of the new Elite cam systems, and they are BAR NONE, the smoothest speed bow I've ever drawn. I'd put my life on it :D, it's "stiff" but the draw cycle is NOT harsh at all. I got to draw the 101st (which from what I've read is the same bow configuration as the 82nd except for limb length?) and it just felt like all the other Bowtech Binaries, with the exception of the General.

LOL.....

Ya know Matt....the only thing that's absolute.....is that anything you're shooting is THE cat's meow.....and that it's subject to change with the passing wind.

That's gospel.:D

Greg / MO 01-15-2008 10:23 PM

We had an 82nd Airborne at our booth in Indy that lit up the chrono before shipping with 60-lb. limbs at 334. I was showing it to a dealer and discussing how people are loving the fact that they can get those kinds of speeds out of a 60-lb. bow, and heasked -- in all seriousness -- Why would you even need to shoot it at 60? Heck, I'd be tempted to get a 50-lber!!

I shot it at our shooting booth set around 64... it was amazingly smooth and shock free.

I got my personal 82nd yesterday, but I've been hunting hard the last couple days as today was the last day of our season; I'll get a chance to play with it here shortly.

GR8atta2d 01-16-2008 05:57 AM

I don't know Rob..with my short draw length, my Alley Chrono'd 270 as set-up when new at 65 lbs.

Now I have cranked her up to 70 lbsand cleaned up my string so I'm sure I'm faster but nowhere near 300 let alone 320.

I specifically said deer sized game because like speed, we all have to agree that the more modern higher end bows have enough KE to do the job effectively.

I'd love to have a new bow..wasn't in the budget this year..so I dressed up my old (2005) model with some new accesorries and Strings etc.. You know the best part..next years new stuff will be even better...lol :D

GMMAT 01-16-2008 06:30 AM

GR8...What DL are you pulling? I had mine set on 65#'s ('07 Ally). 29".....and it was slinging my target arrows 310.2fps; 309.2fps and 309.0fps last time I chrono'd it.

BobCo19-65 01-16-2008 06:37 AM

Rob:

I wasn't the one who startedquoting dictionary definitions as if there was some sort of lack of intellegence. Seemed like it needed a reply. I just simply disagree with your interpretation of human nature as it applies to to arrow speed. I'd have to say thatit's more of a personal preference which applies to many compound archers.

Issue? No.Nothing to loose sleep over.:)

GR8atta2d 01-16-2008 06:41 AM

27.5 I've never retested it. Thats whatit did at the shop the day I bought it. Was the chrono correct? I dunno.

I would hate to see what the numbers areon my target arrows at 503 grains lol..

GMMAT 01-16-2008 06:56 AM

I would hate to see what the numbers areon my target arrows at 503 grains lol..

WOW.

My target arrows are 327gr.:D

GR8atta2d 01-16-2008 07:04 AM

My hunting arrows weigh roughly 326.8

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-16-2008 07:51 AM

Rob:

I wasn't the one who startedquoting dictionary definitions as if there was some sort of lack of intellegence. Seemed like it needed a reply. I just simply disagree with your interpretation of human nature as it applies to to arrow speed. I'd have to say thatit's more of a personal preference which applies to many compound archers.

Issue? No.Nothing to loose sleep over.:)
Bob, I guess you missed all the clown and smiling faces expressing my laughter and smile when I posted. That's the problem with reading into the threads with no emotions. I know your an intelligent guy Bob.

Human nature, more speed, better, more, newer, etc..etc..speed was only the synonym for more stuff. But that's all good. :D

BobCo19-65 01-16-2008 07:57 AM

I totally agree. Forums are always full of misinterpretations. It's been proven to be one of the lowest forms of communication.

It's always best to give the benefit of the doubt when in doubt. (myself included)

razor1 01-16-2008 08:47 AM

I have a High country Iron Mace at 27.5 draw set at 63lbs and shooting 323 fps but there are alot of great bows out there. I just prefer this one.

[/align]

Matt/TN 01-16-2008 10:45 AM

Jeff, I'm not shooting a GTO. That was my HONEST opinion. I guess it's the wrong forum to go against Bowtech.

m9a9g9i9c 01-16-2008 12:21 PM

ok, now that you guys made me doubt my choice buying a General....
I'm shooting a Tomkat at 60lbs and thought of the General for it's short axle to axle and it's no noise policy....but now having a fast arrowslinging canon suddenly appeals to me....

Should I still keep my eye set on the general or go for the airbornes ???

damned I hate thise, choices choices choices..........

Frank
Belgium

*JB* 01-16-2008 02:02 PM

Human nature, more speed, better, more, newer, etc..etc..speed was only the synonym for more stuff. But that's all good. :D
No Rob, these things are only what guys with small penis' need. :D