Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What did I just do??? >

What did I just do???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did I just do???

Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What did I just do???

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I find it interesting that KE is brought up to explain the need for speed. Realisticaly it has always been more about not needing to know the difference between 12yards and 15, 18, 22... etc. Flatter shooting the less guess work when shooting.

KE is not only effected by speed of an arrow but also by weight of an arrow. A heavier arrow traveling slower can have the same KE as a light arrow traveling faster. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying if your in fact after KE speed is not the only factor.

To me I like a heavier arrow. These bows with an arrow on the heavy side should still produce good speed and have a ton of energy with the arrow. I'd just like to see someone that shoots more weight than the (usualy minimal weight) carbon super light etc....

Just my 2 cents. But speed isn't everything to me. That being siad.....DANG THATS FAST!
Yeah no kidding but for the sake of what I posted, I said SAME arrow, MORE speed is MORE KE. In fact, I even went further and mentioned that with me as an example, I can go from one bow, my Ally to the 82nd and use a lesser poundage bow with the same arrow and have more KE via more speed. HMMmmm
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I find it interesting that KE is brought up to explain the need for speed. Realisticaly it has always been more about not needing to know the difference between 12yards and 15, 18, 22... etc. Flatter shooting the less guess work when shooting.

KE is not only effected by speed of an arrow but also by weight of an arrow. A heavier arrow traveling slower can have the same KE as a light arrow traveling faster. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying if your in fact after KE speed is not the only factor.

To me I like a heavier arrow. These bows with an arrow on the heavy side should still produce good speed and have a ton of energy with the arrow. I'd just like to see someone that shoots more weight than the (usualy minimal weight) carbon super light etc....

Just my 2 cents. But speed isn't everything to me. That being siad.....DANG THATS FAST!
Yeah no kidding but for the sake of what I posted, I said SAME arrow, MORE speed is MORE KE. In fact, I even went further and mentioned that with me as an example, I can go from one bow, my Ally to the 82nd and use a lesser poundage bow with the same arrow and have more KE via more speed. HMMmmm
True enough.

I think my old compound shoots somewhere around 220. LOL And my slefbows are around 150 fps. So that would be a huge jump for me....of course I can't imagine spending that much right now anway so I'll stick with what I got.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

when I shot bows when buying my general, I put an 82'nd at 71 lbs, 30", with a 355 grain arrow at 346
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, its not cheap to make that upgrade but if you gotta have it........... Really is there any reason to be pulling 70lbs anymore? Probably not but thats exactly the point of something like this. At 70 with my current set up I'm getting 269. At say 60 with the 82nd I could still be getting close to 300. A full 30fps faster. More KE, flatter arrow, etc. WIN WIN WIN!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to take anything away from Bowtech because most people who has shot them, likes them. BUT, wait til the Elite GTO hits the markets full swing. I finally got to draw one of the new Elite cam systems, and they are BAR NONE, the smoothest speed bow I've ever drawn. I'd put my life on it , it's "stiff" but the draw cycle is NOT harsh at all. I got to draw the 101st (which from what I've read is the same bow configuration as the 82nd except for limb length?) and it just felt like all the other Bowtech Binaries, with the exception of the General.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Not to take anything away from Bowtech because most people who has shot them, likes them. BUT, wait til the Elite GTO hits the markets full swing. I finally got to draw one of the new Elite cam systems, and they are BAR NONE, the smoothest speed bow I've ever drawn. I'd put my life on it , it's "stiff" but the draw cycle is NOT harsh at all. I got to draw the 101st (which from what I've read is the same bow configuration as the 82nd except for limb length?) and it just felt like all the other Bowtech Binaries, with the exception of the General.
LOL.....

Ya know Matt....the only thing that's absolute.....is that anything you're shooting is THE cat's meow.....and that it's subject to change with the passing wind.

That's gospel.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

We had an 82nd Airborne at our booth in Indy that lit up the chrono before shipping with 60-lb. limbs at 334. I was showing it to a dealer and discussing how people are loving the fact that they can get those kinds of speeds out of a 60-lb. bow, and heasked -- in all seriousness -- Why would you even need to shoot it at 60? Heck, I'd be tempted to get a 50-lber!!

I shot it at our shooting booth set around 64... it was amazingly smooth and shock free.

I got my personal 82nd yesterday, but I've been hunting hard the last couple days as today was the last day of our season; I'll get a chance to play with it here shortly.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know Rob..with my short draw length, my Alley Chrono'd 270 as set-up when new at 65 lbs.

Now I have cranked her up to 70 lbsand cleaned up my string so I'm sure I'm faster but nowhere near 300 let alone 320.

I specifically said deer sized game because like speed, we all have to agree that the more modern higher end bows have enough KE to do the job effectively.

I'd love to have a new bow..wasn't in the budget this year..so I dressed up my old (2005) model with some new accesorries and Strings etc.. You know the best part..next years new stuff will be even better...lol
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

GR8...What DL are you pulling? I had mine set on 65#'s ('07 Ally). 29".....and it was slinging my target arrows 310.2fps; 309.2fps and 309.0fps last time I chrono'd it.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Rob:

Thanks for the definition.

So your example is a trait shared by all humans. Even non-archers. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Nitpicking aren't we Bob or is there an issue?
I wasn't the one who startedquoting dictionary definitions as if there was some sort of lack of intellegence. Seemed like it needed a reply. I just simply disagree with your interpretation of human nature as it applies to to arrow speed. I'd have to say thatit's more of a personal preference which applies to many compound archers.

Issue? No.Nothing to loose sleep over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.