HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I'm buying a Mathews! pix added p3 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/227196-im-buying-mathews-pix-added-p3.html)

shed33 01-14-2008 01:16 PM

I'm buying a Mathews! pix added p3

3..... For my son tonight...:D "Genesis"

We got him all fitted and he shot it last Friday, he's really pumped and wants to shoot this Vegas league with me. (he'll only shoot out to 10 yards maybe 15..most likely)

Jess is 6 years oldnow and he handled and shot the bow great at Sportsmens the other day. I am stoked for him. I cant believe how proud of him I was when the pro there.. Jason a trad guy really complimented him on his form!

I'll get some pix taken once we get the bow and he starts shooting with me this weekend..

StrikeTrue 01-14-2008 01:18 PM

RE: I'm buying a Mathews!

Awesome, i love watching young fellas shoot.

Rhody Hunter 01-14-2008 01:23 PM

cool that bow will be able to grow with him through the years. sounds exciting

SevenMag 01-14-2008 01:25 PM

get him shootin out to 20yds, my 6.5 yr old is already and doing quite well after only a few weeks of shootin... he's also pulling back 32lbs very easily, not bad for kid that only weighs 54lbs himself... he's headin to the stand when he hits 40lb draw...

shed33 01-14-2008 01:31 PM

Cool Seven Mag, I will.. What ever Jess is comfortable with.. Hes about 55 lbs as well, hes been shooting since he was 3 years old.. he had a little panda bear compound..he loves archery and is definatley ready for the big boy bow! His little brother has been pulling the Panda bear bow all weekend now that its his...Tyson is 4 and is gonna be shooting that little bow now... so when you see my 3-d targetwith arrows holes in the RUMP.. it aint me! :)

mobow 01-14-2008 01:31 PM

How do you feel about that bow not having a draw stop? I don't mean the stop on the cams, I mean, you can't set it for a specific draw length, right? In other words, if he's, lets say, a 22" draw, you can't set it for that, and one time may draw it 21 inches and 23 the next..... Do you think bad habits could be formed?

I'm just asking, I have very limited experience w/ it. Either way, it's freakin awesome that your son will be shooting with you!!

matters 01-14-2008 01:33 PM

Thats great glad you and your son have a great time shooting. Cant wait to get my son his first bow hes six now and I probally pick him one up this summer.

shed33 01-14-2008 01:39 PM

Mobow, I dont mind at all and I did think about that when Ihad him shoot the Microby alpine and some other off name brand....He knows exactly where and what his anchor point is and I dont think the "wall" missing will bother him. I have been teaching Jess all basics for two years.. He grabbed that Mathews the other day from the Pro at the shop and knocked his arrow; established a perfect stance, three finger 1 over grip.. went to full draw, anchored perfectly, had perfect T form and let the arrow fly with fingers...that arrow didntwaver a bit...straight arrow..thump into the bigblock target about 6 inches from a black dot he was aiming at...The Pro looked at me and said.."hes shot before!" with a smile.. Jess ended up shooting it 7-8 more rounds..of 3 arrows.. doing it all on his own.. 3 arrows at a time as we sat and watched.. its allhis mothers athletic abilitly ...:D

I really think in 2 years maybe 3 Jess will be shooting a little bowtech like the "Edge" that goes up to 50 lb limbs ...probably starting him with 30-40's maybe the 40's to 50's by his 8th birthday.. hes pretty stout for a6 year old..I believe he will have no problem gettingaccustomed to a wall then.. By then Ty will be ready for the genesis...

mobow 01-14-2008 01:52 PM

WOW! Sounds like you have quite the shooter on your hands......best watch that one, dad.....He may end up shooting more bucks than his old man......:D uh, yeah, right......

SevenMag 01-14-2008 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: matters

Thats great glad you and your son have a great time shooting. Cant wait to get my son his first bow hes six now and I probally pick him one up this summer.
I'll tell ya, at first I was skeptical about getting the Diamond Edge for him, but I gotta say, I'm very impressed with that bow and its flexability, and the thing is a SHOOTER for what it is... very quiet and very easy to manage for small hands...

shed33, at only 5yrs old, unless he's a seriously strong kid, get the 19/29lb limbs... when I first got the edge for my boy he was having a bit of a tough time at 30lbs and i backed it off to about 26-27, and he's a pretty damn strong and athletic kid, only 54lbs, but he stands about 53-54" tall (ya he's a bit skinny for his height)... he's worked his way up to 32lbs at the moment, I think he could pull 35 if he wanted to...