Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can we get a consensus....."Mature Bucks"? >

Can we get a consensus....."Mature Bucks"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
2.5 yrs
4.35%
3.5 yrs.
50.00%
4.5 yrs.
41.30%
Older
4.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Can we get a consensus....."Mature Bucks"?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can we get a consensus....."Mature Bucks"?

I have to say that aging deer by eye sight around here is a guess at best. Anyone can see a fawns age. and 1.5 's aren't that tough.But from here onits anyones guess.

No mast crops ,deep snow and a wet fall that prevents corn harvest all can change a deers appearance drastically. A mature looking buck can be 2.5 years old on the right years and 4.5 year old can be skin and bones on off years. Its called mother nature and her puzzle has many pieces.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

That may well be true, but there are other key features to look for when judging age than just body size, ear wrinkles, chest to rump ratio(which is basically the same in lean years and good years) , but I will agree that aging on the hoof is always basically a guess as a 4.5 year old can look like a 5.5 or an average3.5 and a really good genetic 2.5 can look the same.........I would venture a guess that even the best judges would be wrong some of the time.........
Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

lungbuster.....

Where "I" get fooled....most.....is trying to figure out (from photos, here.....TV shows and print media) any deer's age OVER 3.5. Even on deer from different areas.....I think there are signs that help us until they get to that age. Once there, though......I'm useless. Anything over 3.5 and it's a PURE "guess". I also don't think I'm alone.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

NC

2007 - 48 sits.....203 sightings
2006 - 46 sits.....326 sightings

I didn't keep a log in 2005.....but I'm guessing I sat 30 times.....and the difference between 650 and the others is a "guess" (based on subsequent yrs numbers).
Do you sit a different spot each time out, or are these total deer numbers that include multiple sighting of the same deer? I have hunted 25 years and don't know that I can say I have seen that many different deer........most seasons I would say i have seen between 25-40 different deer all season long, I just see them multiple times a year.........andI probably average2.5 deer per sit (some sits I don't see any while others I might see 5 or more) to have seen that many deer in just three seasons you must hunt some awfully over populated areas..........how many deer do you normally kill in one season?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

or are these total deer numbers that include multiple sighting of the same deer?
heck yeah I see the same deer a lot. Sorry if it sounded like anything different.

to have seen that many deer in just three seasons you must hunt some awfully over populated areas..........how many deer do you normally kill in one season?
Yes. My area is overpopulated (but I'm working on it). Even with multiple sightings, though....that is evident. I didn't kill a deer my first season.....waiting on "the one". I quickly found out that what I thought was "passing" on deer.....was merely just not attempting a shot. I took 5 my second season (1st full season) and 9 this past season.....all with the bow.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck