Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can we make a difference? >

Can we make a difference?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can we make a difference?

Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can we make a difference?

I saw over 100 LESS deer, this year...than I did, last year. BUT.....I have reasons why I think that is (other than me thinning deer out). I hope to see even less deer, next season.

Edited --(Now that doesn't sound like someone who's a hunter, does it????)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I saw over 100 LESS deer, this year...than I did, last year. BUT.....I have reasons why I think that is (other than me thinning deer out). I hope to see even less deer, next season.

Edited --(Now that doesn't sound like someone who's a hunter, does it????)
Whatever works right?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Site Bouncer

Jeff,

This thread is one of the reasons why I posted my thread, It got me thinking about all the does I killed over the years in the herds I hunt and I can honestly tell you I have seen zero difference in the herd dynamics over the years.

Makes me re-think why I'm even doing it in the first place (besides enjoying the hunt). Illinois seems to have it's act together statewide with the overall deer herd health, why shouldn't I just let mother nature handle above an beyond that?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

You can temporaraly lower the population of course, but I have seen at the end of a season, on a small or medium size property that gets hammered by hunters (while neigboring properties do not) the deer just move over into the vacant ground after the season. When the ratios are that far out of wack, I thought it would be like trying to make a hole in a puddle of water by sticking your finger in it. As soon as you remove it, its gone.
^agreed

Not sure if this is pertinent but let me give the example of some public land I used to gun hunt. It was a very productive and thus a popular spot. Every year there wereat least 100(not exaggerating)vehicles within that square2 miles on opening day. By 10am there were 2-3 sometimes 4-5 deer in almost every single one of those vehicles. By the end of the 10 day gun season, literally hundreds upon hundreds of deerwould betaken out of just those 2 square miles. Yet... year after year, it continues to happen just the same way. In some areas, hundreds of hunters can't even contain the poplulation.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am 100% positive you can make a difference, see my post on BIGJ's thread. If you have the right goals and hunting buddies it can happen it just usually takes more time than we would like.