HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   MICROBIAL BASE LAYER (GOOD/BAD) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/226572-microbial-base-layer-good-bad.html)

steammaker 01-10-2008 10:38 AM

MICROBIAL BASE LAYER (GOOD/BAD)

I WAS AT BASS PRO LOOKING AT CAMO FOR NEXT SEASON AND WAS LOOKING AT ANTI MICROBIAL BASE LAYER SUIT.IT HAS SILVER IN IT AND CLAIMS TO LAST FOREVER AND BE VERY GOOD AT SCENT CONTROL.AS EXPENSIVE AS SCENT-LOC AND SCENT-BLOCKER IS,I'M LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNITIVE AND WAS HOPING SOMEONE HAS TRID ANY OF THIS SILVER LINED GARMENTS OR HAS SOME INFO ON WHETHER THEY WORK OR HOW WELL THEY WORK.I DO HAVE SCENT-LOC BUT I'VE HAD AS GOOD LUCK WITH REGULAR CAMO KEEPING IT AND MYSELF CLEAN.ANY THOUGHTS?

MAKING STEAM IN OHIO

rybohunter 01-10-2008 10:44 AM

RE: MICROBIAL BASE LAYER (GOOD/BAD)

I’m a big fan of the silver lined base layers. X-scent I believe was first. I have socks from them and some enduraskin base layers from bass pro. That endure skin is great for warm weather hunting, or anytime you are starting & stopping.

JNTURK 01-10-2008 10:54 AM

i cannot say for certinty with scientific proof that it works because i have only found articles with micro biologist quoted saying they work...but as far as down to the molecular level i am not sure........with that said i hunt in CA and one of our archery seasons was in July....brother and i hunted and hiked all morning from about 400am to about 100pm...temp was around 95 when we were done...we used the x-scent as a basse layer and when we got back to the truck and took off the camo i smelt the arm pits (after using scent free deodarant too) .... and they did not smell...at all.....any other time it would have been rank with all of sweet that was pouring off of us...so i use them a lot now...pants, boxers, and shirt...i really like them...add a little scent free spray before the hunt and you will be good to go...IMO.

GRIZZLYMAN 01-10-2008 10:55 AM

I have used Medallist and XScent stuff for two or three years and really like it. I sweat....a lot...and I can take this off at the end of the day and I don't smell. I know a deer's nose is better than mine, but I have had deer come down wind of me when I was on a low standand sniff and not get spooked. I'm a believer.

steammaker 01-10-2008 11:05 AM

THANKS GUYS,THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR,PEOPLE WHO TRIED IT IN HOT WHEATHER.I HAVE TO HIKE UP A LOT OF HILLS TO GET TO MYSPOT(WITH A CLIMER ON MY BACK) AND SWEAT NO MATTER HOW LIGHTLY DRESSED I AM.JUST TRYING TO STAY ON TOP OF MY SPORT.

MAKING STEAM IN OHIO

Wiaxle 01-10-2008 11:16 AM

Full set of x-scent shouldn't run you more than $100 (shirt, pants, socks, hood)

I have been using this stuff for the last 2 (3?) years, and I do like it. My socks usually aint the most pleasant smelling thing after a day of walking around, but the x-scent socks after a day of hunting, maybedamp/wet, but they do not have an odor I can detect, I am assuming that transfer over to theother articles of clothing....

JNTURK 01-10-2008 11:48 AM

also,,...check ebay (if u use it) you can pick up pants, shirt, socks etc. much cheaper then other places and sometimes you can get luck and pick them up really cheap.......wally world use to carry them, but here in CA i don't see it anymore...basspro and cabelas does, but i think they are more expensive then what you can normally get on ebay shipped to your door....

mj23 01-10-2008 12:29 PM

Our season begins in Sept. and is usually in the 80's. I bought the Enduroskinlong sleeve shirt last year with the sole purpose of its coolingproperties.I was so pleased with it that I bought the pantsbefore the following turkey season. It kept me warm enough in the cool mornings and then cool in the warm afternoons.I thenwore it every hunt this year. I saw more deerin Sept. and early Oct. than I ever have. I was sold on opening morning when it was 75 or sowalking to my stand.By the time that I got settled in my stand I was cursing the fact thatI was sweating and the sun wasn't even up yet. I ended up having 2 mature does w/fawns and a 2.5 year old 6 pt under my stand and around me all morning.

I have no scientific proof, but what I do have is confidence.

steammaker 01-11-2008 07:14 AM

GOOD DEAL.I HAVN'T HEARD ANY THING NEGATIVE ABOUT THEM.SOUND LIKE A SMART INVESTMENT AND NOT SO COSTLY.

MAKING STEAM IN OHIO

ben673 01-11-2008 08:00 AM

Has anyone used the Under Armour Antimicrobal Cold Gear and Heat Gear? How well does it work at scent elimination? Also, how comfortable is it? I've used scent lok base layers the last 3 years, they work for scent elimination, but could be more comfortable.