Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does this make sense >

does this make sense

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does this make sense

Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: does this make sense

The Does got young ones in them around here but that wouldn't stop me from killing a Doe. Those lil ones sure are tasty this time of year!! Be proud of what ever you kill, I am! Good luck in your late season!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big does are not carrying fawns at this time of year... shoot with reckless abandon.
If they aren't carrying now when will they be? Does were bred around here aboput the first week in November and it's January tenth that's two monthes, they start giving birth in May so they have to be some what developed don't they?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Site Buck Guru

I'd call 2 months pregnant.....carrying.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Help the herd, shoot a fawn......girl, boy, don't matter, cull the weak and the strong get stronger.....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

i wanna late season bow hunt cause i could really use the meat. but i dont wanna shoot a lil one jus cause its lil... dont really wanna shoot a big does for the fact she might be carryin babies of that big buck...an dont wanna shoot the basket 6 or 8 or even a 4 pt cause he'll be bigger next year..... haha.... mys well not even go....(but i am goin)...... do you think along the same lines?????
go ahead and shoot the big does, or even small ones, if she is carrying the offspring of your big buck, the offspring will leave your woods anyway when he gets 1.5 old. I dont blame you for not wanting to shoot a basket rack, but they will be leaving your woods this spring/summer in search of a new home...its natures way of preventing in-breeding...same goes for shooting a button buck...it wont be in you woods to shoot as a mature buck anyway

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Nothing to say a small doe wasn't bred, either. Could be the same genes as is in the older doe.

But...like I said....I wouldn't hesitate because she "might" be carrying.
Most of the Doe fawns don't start getting bred till the middle of January, some even later I'm sure. If it was me, doe or doe fawn would do the trick!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Schutlzy, Don't you think the majority of the deer get bred in the first rut? If not wouldn't the second rut be the most productive to hunt seeing as there are more fawns then mature does in the herd?

I'd say that 85%-90% of the does regardless of age are bred in the first rut.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Schutlzy, Don't you think the majority of the deer get bred in the first rut? If not wouldn't the second rut be the most productive to hunt seeing as there are more fawns then mature does in the herd?

I'd say that 85%-90% of the does regardless of age are bred in the first rut.
This is just my beleif, I could be wrong, probably am!. Around here in Central Minnesota i think the majority of the Doe's are bred in the 2nd week of November. I think its then 21 or 25 days (Can't Remember) and they come in heat again and more doe's get bred (Maybe some Doe Fawns Too) that didn't get bred the 1st time. Then the final rut I beleive the Doe fawns, some of them anyway get bred in middle January or so.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

You say you want to hunt for the meat. My advice would be to shoot a deer, they're made of meat. The wolves that are hunting for meat aren't really asking themselves these questions.