Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Freaks and oddities - that you've taken >

Freaks and oddities - that you've taken

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Freaks and oddities - that you've taken

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Freaks and oddities - that you've taken

Post 'em up fellas.

Let'ssee all the freaks and oddities that y'all have taken.I'm not looking forrandom deer pictures collectedfrom all over the internet. I want to see whatYOU guys have actually harvested, yourselves.This list includes, but is not limited to:
[ul][*]fugly looking racks,[*]3 (or less) legged deer,[*]cysts,[*]tumors,[*]gangrenous wounds,[*]broadheads lodged in various bones,[*]arrowshafts still inside the animal,[*]pierced ears,[*]bullet fragments,[*]piebalds,[*]albinos,[*]melanistic phases,[*]overbites,[*]missing eyes,[*]orthopedic injuries,[*]bald spots,[*]diseases,[*]double-throat patchers, and/or[*]white socks [/ul]
Or anything else that you thought was cool or different. If you don't have an actual picture, graphic descriptions are encouraged.

I've gotten a few that are definitely on the interesting side.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Freaks and oddities - that you've taken

2006 season

Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most have seen this one already. No real pedicle on his right side.......doesn't look damaged or anything. My buddy Dan saw and passed him the year before, and he had a very similar rack just a bit smaller as a 2.5. He was 3.5 when I shot him.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a white socker with a few white spots on the body. One on his chest and another right in front of the left hind quarter. Worst picture ever - a digital photo of a horrid 35mm pic.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a buck in 2001 with antlers that looked like a runt antelope. Still catching hell over that beast. I'll have to post a pic when I get home.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 AM

I'm not sure there is enough bandwidth for all the racks Rob/PA is gonna post up......
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can’t post pics from work. But I have taken several deer that would fall into this category.

1. I took a buck with a messed up side on his rack. Had a 9.5” bladed browtine on that side.
2. I took a droptine buck that had socks. And his 2 of his hoofs were white or partially white. This buck also had a putrid smelling infected puss ball on his ribcage. Bright green nasty gunk spewed out when my knife hit it.
3. I took a buck with only one functional lung. The other was a small ball of scar tissue fused to the inside of his chest cavity. He also had a giant scar on his lower chest, and a big one across his snout.
4. I took a doe with healed broadhead scars thru the top of her shoulders.
5. I took a doe that had a week or 2 old bullet wound back, and above her spine, it was a little nasty.
6. My first buck ever had a hole in its head where the pedicle meets the skull. It was nasty & scabbed over when I shot him. I believe it was from another buck during a fight.
7. Last years buck has a 3rd antler nubbin growing out of his forehead. Never saw it until the taxidermist pointed it out.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM

I have just a couple:

A ten point in full velvet killed the last week of October in Ohio and he only had one jewel in the sack (sorry no pics of the ten point or the single tater)

An 8 point with a gangrenous bullet wound in his neck from the youth gun hunt the week before I killed him. He was still getting it done with the ladies when he bird dogged a doe by my stand. The gangrene hole is low on the neck. My lucky and fatal neck shot is above.

Finally my buck from this year has about an inch and a half overbite. The pics I took don't show it but it looks pretty funny up close. The taxidermist said he could fix it but I told him I want exactly as god made him.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

This is a 15 point buck I shot with a shotgun on a drive. As you can see, his right side is severely deformed and turned up. His left rear leg had been shot off by a hunter the previous year(causing the deformation). His body was very run down, and weak. Glad to have put him out of his misery.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM

Shot this guy at 125 yards in the brush... thought he was a huge non-typical with a drop and stickers... i was a bit off.

Quick Reply: Freaks and oddities - that you've taken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.