Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turning points in your hunting career? >

Turning points in your hunting career?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turning points in your hunting career?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Turning points in your hunting career?

10yrs after I killed my first deer with a bow,a friend invited me on my first gun hunt in 10yrs.I killed a doe and realized that my passion was archery it was the first time I didn't get the shakes after killing a deer.Archery has been my only passion since.I STILL GET THE SHAKES NOW.I don't kill as many deer now,but having the deer close and watching them is such a rush.
2 changing from a deer killer(always worried if I tag out)to a deer hunter enjoying the time in the woods.I feel that is what archery has given me and that is why it is such a passion for me.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taking up BOWHUNTING, and bowhunting in Illinois. Both winners!!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The day I shot my first P&Y buck. 9 pointer scored 139" gross and weighed 250lbs field dressed. After taking that deer back in 2002 it really opened my eyes on QDM and how passing on younger deer is one of the biggest contributer to getting big bucks. Up until that point I really didnt care I would shoot whatever I wanted.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM

The first time I passed on an "average" buck. . .and every time I take a kid hunting.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

One moment I forgot to mention. The look on my wifes face and when she got her first deer this year. It was absolutely priceless to see the excitement on her face. Awsome feeling.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took my young daughter bowhunting with me and killed a big doe. When I was gutting the doe she says " when you get done can we go to Mcdonalds?" Thats my girl right there.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Bartender

Hunt the dang wind no matter what.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Bartender

2007 for me Mike. Not the worse but learned so much about me and took a close look and watch out 2008. The killer is back!
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

My worst season.. 2005. What I will always refer to as my transition from deer hunter to mature deer hunter. I learned more about 'me' as a hunter in this year than any other.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes...In 1995 I converted to traditional archery...bare bones....I killed deer with a osage stick with cedar arrows wrapped in deer tendons with flint heads...I went back to compound in 2000. I like to keep my equipment in good shape. However...I do not even bother answering the questions about broadheads, effectiveness, etc....Even though I use a compound again I know that all it takes is..........a hole in the vitals and the animal is dead....

My first kill with flint heads was a doe at 15 yards...the deer died in a distance of 40 feet....I wish more bowhunters would try this......they will develop a whole new respect for what the indians did hundreds of years ago.....Come on guys & girls! You make a hole in the mid section of an animal and it bleeds....if your arrow head flys accurate for you put it in the vitals and forget about the name brand or cutting diameter!....Good Luck to my traditional friends!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I took responsibility for my own success or failure approximately 13 to 14 years ago.

Quick Reply: Turning points in your hunting career?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.