Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your thoughts.. be honest.. >

Your thoughts.. be honest..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your thoughts.. be honest..

Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Your thoughts.. be honest..

That is the truth it is not rocket science, can you imagine if it was I would fail badly. How I ever passed science I will never know.

Hunting

1. the act of a person, animal, or thing that hunts.

Rocket Science
1. something requiring great intelligence, esp. mathematical ability.

Yep your right buddy ol pal.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Simp

I have no issue with someone going out and getting a P&Y buck very early on in their hunting career. It all depends on what kind of land they'll be hunting as well. If a rookie hunter is hunting on prime ground then he'll most likely beat the old hunter that's hunting worn out land (state land) by miles. Put the rookie hunter on the state land and if he hasn't killed something within a couple of years he'll probably quit and I wouldn't blame him for doing so.
Great statment
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

I love you man.
ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I'm not feeling any of the love here.
Thanksman, .....................I've always heard it was lonely at the top I just never knew it was so cold.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be as pleased as punch for them provided that they were grateful and not arrogant about it!Hunting is all about being in the right place at the right time and making good on the opportunity you are given.Whhen it happens it happens and the amount of time you have put in doesn't mean a thing.How can you begrudge any one their success? I can't.If they are cocky and think it is going to be easy to duplicate their success the realities of successfully and consistently killing big deer will humble them pretty quickly!
I would be happy as heck for them especially so if they have the right attitude!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Spike

hard question? i have been hunting for almost 20 years now and this years buck was my biggest. out of the group of guys i hunt with i put the most time in the woods and never get the nicest deer? i have grown to find that as long as i put someone on that buck i am satisfied. i get more calls on my cell phone in hunting season than ever! asking where the big ones at? i would love to keep my mouth shut but i would rather see one of us get it that some smuck! don't get me wrong i don't give out all my secrets. i have to have a little advantage right?? but i find i enjoy hunting soo much that it isn't about getting the big one all the time. it is being out in the woods and the thrill of the hunt even if it isn't me getting the monster every year. you have to let the small ones grow up in order to get the big ones!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rookie hunters that kill big deerright out of the shoot.....will never have the respect that you do....Its like a 16 year old kid that has their parents buy them a BMW for their first car....In his/or her's head they are an expert...... and that hunting is not that hard.....Lets see how they do in the next 5 years.....I wish I had this luck.....its like the lotto........hold that doe.....tight to your hand....and thank god for the experience.....I want antlers too...but all they are is tangable evidence that you get to show off and place on your wall.....tell someone how much that doe meant to you...a true hunter will respect you....
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

In the past 15 or so years I have taken 4 to 5 deer per season, the past 2 seasons, as well as this season, so far eatin buck tag soup! That being said, ive also let all bucks walk looking for the biggun. They are there in my area, just far and few between. Between, cars, poachers,extended antlerless seasons, big bucks have a hard time surviving.

This season suffered (1 115# mature doe so far) because,I tend to do better in early season before deer channge their patterns. My 8 yr old son began to play under 80# football this year w/ 3 practices a week and 8:30 am sat games my hunting time fell to nearly nill!

Anyway I hunt w/a second cousin of mine he is 17 yrs younger than me. I am the one with access to the ground and written permision.
this is his 3rd. year bow hunting w/ me. so not exactly a rookie but close.

One particular night he called me on the way home from work(before time change). You wanna hit the stands? he asked. Naa i gotta take the boy to practice,"do you mind if I jump up in your stand". No got hit it, I replied. At 5:15 as my son and I are about to walk out the door I get a call, "I'm gonna need your help, I just wacked the big boy!" a buck we both saw during the summer, scouting, hanging stands, and 1 time on our way in to check a trail cam but no pics. He dubble lunged him and recoved him within sight of the stand. My son and I ran down the street behind my neighbors house to see the buck. Main frame 10 w/ a broken g4 on the right side. I gave him a hand shake and a hug, grabbed and antler and helped drag. HE MADE THE SHOT! I DID NOT. AINT GONNA WIN THE LOTTERY IF YOU DON'T BUY A TICKET! He spent twice as much time as i did on stand. It was a bigger priority to him this year, not that I'm not still trying, but seeing me kid play his first year of football is priceless and is just about the only thing that will ever get in the way of my hunting time!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This post is so long I can't remember who posted it but just the idea that it was posted and all of the subsequent responses just reminds me how arrogant and self serving we hunters can be sometimes. I have always thought of hunting as a right of passage to stewardship of nature's bounty. So in keeping with that spirit, I congratulate and celebrate all of us that are blessed with this bounty regardless if it's a 12 year old hunting for the first time or an old man like me that's hunted for many years.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Doesn't bother me a bit. Beginners luck can only last so long. I'll admit it could be frustrating if you've tried for years to get one and along comes Joe First Timer and kills a dandy. But you have to be happy for them because of what they've accomplished, even if they don't realize the extent of it.

It took me over 20 years to kill a big buck. I gave my best stand to my son when he was 12 and he called in and killed a 125" 8 pointer (his first deer). Do you think that I was upset!!??

What upsets me more is when people slam or degrade what the lucky hunter has accomplished. These remarks can range from outrageous lies to the subtle, "it's all about location", sour grapes comments.
I pretty much agree with GregH. I put my uncle in a spot many years ago and he killed a nice big 8 point. He had it mounted and remembers that hunt to this day almost 20 years later. He was no beginner but he was in the right spot at the right time.I am proud of that deer too. Sincethen, I have gotten bigger deer but it took a long time. SometimesI put my Dad in a great spot or he puts me in a great spot. It is just give and take and be happy for the other person.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS
SometimesI put my Dad in a great spot or he puts me in a great spot. It is just give and take and be happy for the other person.
There are a lot of right spots. The trick is being there at the right time

Dan

Quick Reply: Your thoughts.. be honest..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.