Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deal with it or stay with public land >

deal with it or stay with public land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deal with it or stay with public land

Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default deal with it or stay with public land

OK lets say you can buy 15 to 20 acre of wooded hunting land.

Two scenarios

one you border govt. land 8000 acres or so and can buy 15 to 20 acres at 2000 a acre. And you own it free and clear to do what you wont with it for hunting.
You can also add a pond if there is no water source.

Second you can buy 15 to 20 acres of land boarded by private people
but there land is either farm or hunting land unlikely to be developed. But you may also be able to acquired the land later
Again you own it free and clear and can do with it as you wish.

If there is no water source you can put in a pond.

If 15 to 20 acres is all you can buy would you buy that little of land or stay on public land

also do you think there is less of a trespassing theft issue with land bordered by public land or private.

Also if there is a small creek not very big away from where you would plant a few food plots would you dig a pond if so howbig.

or is 15 acres just not enough for hunting

Also if you have say 15 acres and 90% of it is woods how much would you use for plots and how far off the road do plant them

Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deal with it or stay with public land

A 15-20 acre woodlot bordering agricultural fields with a nearby water source would be a deer haven in my part of the country.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

it would depend on what the public land was like......also animal populations at both place....if the public land was sorrounded within a good distance of private land on the edges i would by there simply because you can now hunt not only your 20 but the public 8000 acres and have direct access.......availability of people to public land arround you will determine your theft rate..if high then probably higher theft.. if low then about same theft as if it was private all around you.....nope if creek is there leave it.....the deer are already there..no need to add more unless you want to help other game...if you are to add a pond something small would work fine...like a swimming pool size or smaller.....15 acres could be enough but, if you could have more then why not?? why risk having another hunter buy the land next to you and hunt the deer you can hunt...to much of an issue i personally think...food plots...farthest away from roads and something like a 50 yard square would be fine....cut an old road and plant vegetation in the middle of the road..etc...don't need a lot..
Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

is 15 acres just not enough for hunting
This buck was killed on 12.5 acres. Surrounded by private land. There is a creek on the property. But there is only maybe half wooded and there is a house on the property.

Small plots sometimes are overlooked as holding big deer.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

there are two public areas i am thinking about
one is a WMA fishing hunting only no camping or party areas like state parks
which has very little people on it except for hunters

the other is a state forest with more then a few campground and party areas
there are a lot of people coming and going here

i will not tolerant theft or trespassing.

I would prefer to have more land but i will have around 20 to 25,000 to spend
as my credit is not that good and i will have to pay cash.
I am going to clean my credit up and if i can get a loan i will then i will buy closer to 40 or 50 acres.

i plan to build a small cabin or barn to use for when i go out there say July forth or when ever forfamily gathering

i will have electricity there so i plan on buying some wireless security camerasfor both trespassers and to watch game

ifigure ainferred camera is cheaper then a trail cam.
Plus i can set them up to like 500 yards from the base at the cabin.
any trespassers will get a talking to from the cops. weather there stealing or not.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you planning to buy land? I am looking at buying land myself and was just wondering whre you are looking.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

around sullivan indiana 47882
ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Where are you planning to buy land? I am looking at buying land myself and was just wondering whre you are looking.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would rather buy the land that isn't close to the public land, i would be worried about all the trespassing that would be going on from the hunters hunting the state land. 15 to 20 acres can get it done easily! Around where I live allot of big bucks are shot in 5 and 6 acre woods that are in and around Agricultural fields or a little patch of woods the borders a small town. These little woods here and there I think big bucks like because they can see so much better without having to move much. These small patches of woods are allot easier to hunt too, its easier to pin them down on there traveling routes.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also see a benifit to if someone is tresspassing theres not 100 acres they on so there easy to find
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I would rather buy the land that isn't close to the public land, i would be worried about all the trespassing that would be going on from the hunters hunting the state land. 15 to 20 acres can get it done easily! Around where I live allot of big bucks are shot in 5 and 6 acre woods that are in and around Agricultural fields or a little patch of woods the borders a small town. These little woods here and there I think big bucks like because they can see so much better without having to move much. These small patches of woods are allot easier to hunt too, its easier to pin them down on there traveling routes.