HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   P&Y and no buck tag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/225517-p-y-no-buck-tag.html)

Hoytail Hunter 01-03-2008 05:25 PM

P&Y and no buck tag

Just my luck, a real nice tall tined symetrical 8 shows up 5min before end of legal light and even offers a shot. Only problem... I had no buck tag left. So, I practiced getting into position and making the motion to draw my bow undetected (actually didn't draw) and squeezed off an imaginary arrow right through both lungs. Oh well, I got what I could out of the experience. Maybe I can go through the motions again with him next year, but this time with a buck tag.

This had't've happened to some of you guys too right? Sucks and doesn't suck at the same time.

Vabowman 01-03-2008 06:02 PM

RE: P&Y and no buck tag

That takes a lot of good ethics. Lots of guys would have shot that deer and had someone else tag it. Because you did the legal thing, I hope he comes back next year and is twice as big!!!

Hoytail Hunter 01-04-2008 08:24 AM

Yeah, but with my luck his rack will probably be all broken up next time around. :eek:

goherd1111 01-04-2008 08:54 AM

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year, only it was 170"-180"bruiser. Still a good experience just to be able to see an animal like that.

By the way...You better hope GMMAT doesn't see this post, he'll give you all sorts of hell for being in a tree without a tag. I guess he doesn't realize that some people don't have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt. I hope we both get a crack at these bucks next year. Good Luck.

IAhuntr 01-04-2008 09:24 AM

One of the risks of late doe hunting!;)I feel for you brother. Been there, done that.

Schultzy 01-04-2008 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Just my luck, a real nice tall tined symetrical 8 shows up 5min before end of legal light and even offers a shot. Only problem... I had no buck tag left. So, I practiced getting into position and making the motion to draw my bow undetected (actually didn't draw) and squeezed off an imaginary arrow right through both lungs. Oh well, I got what I could out of the experience. Maybe I can go through the motions again with him next year, but this time with a buck tag.

This had't've happened to some of you guys too right? Sucks and doesn't suck at the same time.
Yes it has and it does suck! I rattled in a 130" buck one year after I had already filled my tag shooting a doe. I was 15 years old at the time and curious about rattling, so I tried it and couldn't believe what came running to me from across the field!

Jasonlester 01-04-2008 11:18 AM

And thats why I'm taking my daughter out as much as I can until season ends. Of course if she gets one bigger than mine [:@].... LOL:D

Hoytail Hunter 01-04-2008 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

By the way...You better hope GMMAT doesn't see this post, he'll give you all sorts of hell for being in a tree without a tag. I guess he doesn't realize that some people don't have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt.
uhhh if that's the case I hope he does see this. :D;)LOL

btw- this guy I saw wasn't a bruiser by any means, but he is right around 130". Whatreally gets me pumpedis thathe appeared identical left to right with tall graceful tines and close to a 20" inside spread. His coat even looked like it was combed nice and neat without a single hair out of place. He was quite a majestic sight to say the least. Almost too beautiful of an animal to shoot.

SS1304 01-05-2008 11:58 AM

Thats why I carry a camera when I'm out in the woods.