HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ONE Thing You Would Change in 07 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/225010-one-thing-you-would-change-07-a.html)

PreacherTony 12-31-2007 07:33 AM

ONE Thing You Would Change in 07

Hey guys, what is ONE and only ONE thing that if you could turn back time and change this season, you would. I know there are many, but is there one specific thing that sticks out in your mind ......

For me it would have been to not hang my bow on the tree .... I had a nice buck sneak up on me ... he was less than 20 yards away when I saw him, and as I tried to get my bow of the hook on the tree, the side he was coming from, of course, he busted me ........ it cost me a nice buck and kept my bowhunting drought going strong [:@]

I have since bought a hanger that hangs the bow in front of me .....:eek:

Tuco 12-31-2007 07:44 AM

RE: ONE Thing You Would Change in 07

I would put together my old work crew. Me , bloodcreek(Dink), Ivan, Donnie(MouthaDon) and Big Lou. The fab 5 we had a great time but they busted us up.

trailinone 12-31-2007 07:47 AM

I had a decent buck at about 12 yards stop downwind from me one afternoon, early bow season. He stopped broadside but had some small saplings blocking his lethal zone. All at once, he threw his head up, while I'm drawn back, and I knew he would blow and run. I pulled my pin a little further back and released, nailing the tree, arrow went to about 4 pieces. If I had waited another few seconds, he probably would have given me a clean shot.
Who knows, he might have blown and ran like I suspected. Anyway, wish I would have held off a few more seconds.

YooperMike 12-31-2007 07:48 AM

Hit a buck (would have been my biggest) high in the shoulder, penetrated about 2", no blood, hair, nothing. NEver found him, would like to have that shot back.

in da woods 12-31-2007 07:50 AM

Seen the biggest 10 ptr of my hunting career. I wish like heck I would have drawn before he came so close that he heard my release creak when I pulled back. That still haunts me in my dreams. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.[&o]

PreacherTony 12-31-2007 07:58 AM

One thing I noticed with myself ..... it always seems to be "the basics" that I mess up on at times ..... looking at the responses so far, I see that is the case with others ...... what I like about threads like this is it helps me rehearse those basics in my mind .....

rybohunter 12-31-2007 08:04 AM

I should have abandoned my "good" spot during the rut when I wasn't seeing much sign or activity.

jmbuckhunter 12-31-2007 08:04 AM

The one thing I would change from this year?

That's easy, I wish the Doctors could have cured my wife's Lukemia and she would still be with me.:(

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-31-2007 08:06 AM

My personal season went fine, nothing to change there except maybe getting a second doe tag.

The season as a whole, I would change the one day I had GMMAT in to hunt. I sat him in a great spot and moved down the ridge a ways to scout more than hunt. GMMAT had the best buck of his life and only buck he ever called in come within in range and not offer a shot. I would have loved to have been there, filming and watching that. I would have set up near him for that. IT would have been a great keepsake to have that encounter on film.

trailinone 12-31-2007 08:14 AM

jmbuckhhunter,
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad this month also. I know that doesn't compare to a spouse. May God be with you.