Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snort wheeze

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snort wheeze

ok so i guess i got mixed up with a warning blow and a snort/wheeze i hear does make this warning sound. but i cannot tell a difference on the way they sound so explain to me.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: childers

ok so i guess i got mixed up with a warning blow and a snort/wheeze i hear does make this warning sound. but i cannot tell a difference on the way they sound so explain to me.
A "warning" blow is a very loud, usually one pitch sound that is done once or repeatedly. Kinda like Ppfffsss (there's no good way to spell a snort that I can think of). It is usually quite loud to alert other deer in the area that something is not right.

A snort wheeze(which I have heard in the wild...cool stuff)is a series of short quick inhale type noise followed by and exhale that last several seconds. If you hold you lips close together and inhale 3 kinda short times and then exhale until you're out of air...that's pretty close to the sound.

Can anyone explain it better?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

thats pretty well dead on. If you are hearing a deer blow at you all the time, move downwind
Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Of the times I have heard it this year (4 0r 5) at least 3 were from the same Big 8. the other one or 2 were while rattleing and never seeing the deer. They were deffinatly not blows, and i have never heard that noise ever before this year. I have no problem beliveing that there are deer that never make that noise. The area I hunt is great as far as the mature buck to doe ratio.

Just gotta get my crap together and connect on one.........
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like any type of call, the right buck in the right mood - yes, it will can them in.

We filmed a 2-1/2 year old snort weeze at a doe this year (that he was chasing). We also filmed a 4-1/2 snort weeze at a buck coming in to check out a hot doe that the big boy was defending. Counting those two "snort weezes", I think I've only heard it a total of maybe 6 times in 18 years of hunting.

We were lucky enough to see that 4-1/2 court a hot doe for 4-1/2 hours one day - all within 50 yards. He fended off probably a dozen bucks that afternoon, ended up bedding 30 yards from us with her, and finally breeding her about 40 yards from our stand. We burned something like 4-1/2 hours of footage in one hunt, and to this day - filming that encounter and the number of vocalizations that are that rare - was something of a dream come true. Can't wait to share it with yall....

If you want to snort weeze, you can duplicate the sound with you're mouth just as easy as any "call". For the record, all the snort weezes I've ever heard were so quiet you could barely hear them at 30 or 40 yards. Like any type of calling, the cover, distance the animal you're calling, and wind directions are all critical. I only call from "callable" stands, with good conditions.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hey tod, shedd some light on why deer were so much more vocal up here this year. I had never heard the snort/wheeze either till this year. I have yet to hear a "buck roar" but i am guessing i will in the future. After years of relative silence, why would they "Speak up" per say??
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: USAF_hunter

On the other hand all these posts where people come on and say "I have been hunting 75 yrs and never heard or seen that" are horse crap. I know a lot of guys who have been hunting a lot of years and cant find their azz with both hands.
What the heck does this mean!!??

To hear a buck make the snort wheeze is not real common. Especially when guys are hunting in areas where the buck/doe ratio is out of wack. If Davidmil says he's never heard it, I believe him. He's got tons of time in the woods and has taken a lot of deer. It's not horse crap, it's the truth.

I hunt in a trophy rich environment and have only heard it a couple of times. I have hunted for mature bucks for 17 seasons and have taken as many bucks 3 1/2 and older. I spend the entire month of Nov, a lot of Oct and Dec as well in this pursuit. So when I say I've only heard it a couple of times, it's not horse crap, it's the truth.

When a guy says he hears it a couple of times per week for most of the season...... That's horse crap.

To be fair it was unknown that the guy was mistaking an alarm snort with the snort wheeze.

Your statement above makes you sound like one of the guys you know that can't find their azz with both hands. That's gospel.
Although I'm not a "hunting.net all-star" I pretty sure I know what I'm doingResults are results, personally I don't care what others hear, see or don't. I know what I have seen and heard. My comment wasn't just about the snort wheeze, it was a generalization about how people get on here and push the numbers of yrs they have hunted pretending to be an expert because they have killed a couple big deer. I kill big deer every year, because thats what I hunt. But the fact is, there are more people on this board pretending than there are "experts" And you can take that to the bank.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant that property where i get busted a lot is only about 1 acre or so in a neighborhood but so far one of the best places to get deer with a bow. but i have to stay on the ground and cant make a big blind every other place i never get busted
ORIGINAL: live2Draw

thats pretty well dead on. If you are hearing a deer blow at you all the time, move downwind
Old 12-28-2007, 12:31 PM

I believe the question was if anyone has used a snort wheeze and if they have had any luck using it. Everyone hunts different than everyone else. We all use different tricks to get the deer. We need to quit bickering amongst ourselves and worry about other things that are more important like protecting our right to hunt.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GregH

On the other hand all these posts where people come on and say "I have been hunting 75 yrs and never heard or seen that" are horse crap. I know a lot of guys who have been hunting a lot of years and cant find their azz with both hands.
What the heck does this mean!!??

To hear a buck make the snort wheeze is not real common. Especially when guys are hunting in areas where the buck/doe ratio is out of wack. If Davidmil says he's never heard it, I believe him. He's got tons of time in the woods and has taken a lot of deer. It's not horse crap, it's the truth.

I hunt in a trophy rich environment and have only heard it a couple of times. I have hunted for mature bucks for 17 seasons and have taken as many bucks 3 1/2 and older. I spend the entire month of Nov, a lot of Oct and Dec as well in this pursuit. So when I say I've only heard it a couple of times, it's not horse crap, it's the truth.

When a guy says he hears it a couple of times per week for most of the season...... That's horse crap.

To be fair it was unknown that the guy was mistaking an alarm snort with the snort wheeze.

Your statement above makes you sound like one of the guys you know that can't find their azz with both hands. That's gospel.
Although I'm not a "hunting.net all-star" I pretty sure I know what I'm doingResults are results, personally I don't care what others hear, see or don't. I know what I have seen and heard. My comment wasn't just about the snort wheeze, it was a generalization about how people get on here and push the numbers of yrs they have hunted pretending to be an expert because they have killed a couple big deer. I kill big deer every year, because thats what I hunt. But the fact is, there are more people on this board pretending than there are "experts" And you can take that to the bank.
You've been on this site for three months and you're qualified to make this statement!!???

How do you know?

I've been here for two years and I don't know who all ofthe pretenders are. I know a lot of solid hunters though and it took way more than 3 months to know who they were.

So, who's pretending here?

You say you kill big deer every year. How many? How many years? I may have seen one or two. What exactly are your qualifications and experiences that cause you to rank yourself as such an expert?

You may be a qualified expert, but I can't say if you are or you aren't. I haven't seen anything that verifies that you are. I don't know you.

Quick Reply: Snort wheeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.