Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would it wear your tag? >

Would it wear your tag?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes of course my tag goes on it!
64.56%
No it will not wear my tag.
22.78%
There are other considerations.
12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Would it wear your tag?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would it wear your tag?

If you are spending $400 for meat, check into a mental institution first, then go buy 1/2 a cow.

I'm tagging it, especially if it is out of state, since the deer that I would be shooting is meant for the wall.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Ummmmmm, Let see, the word I think is YES. I shot it so I would tag it for better or worse.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course. I shot it and killed it. The time and eventsthatoccured between letting the arrow go and arriving at the downed animal have nothing to do with the fact that I hunted and killed the animal that my tag allowed me too.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok since everyone here follows the hunting regs to the letter of the law, how about this. Are you obligated by law to tag the deer? If you are, then tag it. If you are not, which I'm pretty sure in most states you are not, then you are under no obligation to tag it. In other words, it's up to your own discretion.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Ok since everyone here follows the hunting regs to the letter of the law, how about this. Are you obligated by law to tag the deer? If you are, then tag it. If you are not, which I'm pretty sure in most states you are not, then you are under no obligation to tag it. In other words, it's up to your own discretion.
I agree with you isatarak, but I think this has more to do with ethics. I think it would be the morally correct thing to do.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

After re-reading the original post I would like to add to my first response. If I was on a out of state hunt and paid $400 dollars for a tag, I would be hunting for antlers not meat. If I recovered what I set out to tag(a big bucks' antlers), regardless of time frame, I would definitely tag it and I'd be ecstatic that I connected and the trip was a success.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

OH bullhockey. Put it this way, if you wound an animal on the first day of a 10 day hunt do you burn your tag and quit hunting? I appreciate the animal and place value on them, but I refuse to put them on a pedistal and call them Gods. With your line of thinking if you wound an animal you got to tag it. We have things happen and mother nature cleans them up. Do you tag a deer if it runs out in front of your car? It's the same animal that you just fed to the coyotes... why wouldn't you tag that one. It has nothing to do with respect for the animal.Some people want to place the animal on a pedistal in one case but not another. I admire and love them, but I'm not willing to give them more value than what they are, a resource to be used and admired. They're nearing problem sized herds in many areas. One fed to the coyotes won't make a lot of difference. It's unfortunate, but those things happen. I'm not ready to declare myself the martyr and tag a sack full of bones. The law doesn't require it. In fact, if I shoot a sick deer they'll give me another tag in most cases. It's all in the management process. Kills, wounded and lost are all figured in. I don't need to burn that tag to prove I have respect for the animal. In war we shot someone and left him where he fell. No one expected us to build a shrine or offer up some type of token "Respect for the animal". I don't feel I need to do that for Gods gift to us... venison.
Everyone is entitled to there own decision on what they think. I myself would tag it no matter what has happened, buck, doe, fawn, it doesn't matter! We've been out west elk hunting and found elk that friends of mine had hit 2 days earlier (Gut Shot) and they were as rotten as you can get but the tag still went on them, its the right thing to do in my opinion! (What I want to know David or anyone else is if you shot a deer and you didn't find it till a day or 2 later and the meat was no good but its got 200" antlers on its head, would you tag it or not?)
Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I said I would tag it, but it really depends on the pick up laws in the state. If the laws require that I tag it, then I would and then call the DNR and report what happened. Hopefully I'd get a replacement tag. If the state allows pick ups without tagging the animal I would pick up the rack and keep my tag. I'm not going to waste my tag on something that got picked over by animals if I don't have to, but if the law requires that I do, then I will tag the deer. It all comes down to the laws of the state I am in.