HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would you turn him in? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/224264-would-you-turn-him.html)

GMMAT 12-26-2007 07:14 AM

Would you turn him in?

If you knew a friend was breaking game laws (i.e. too many bucks; notchecking in ALL deer; etc...).....would you turn him in?

Arthur P 12-26-2007 07:19 AM

RE: Would you turn him in?

Depending on how severe the violation is. I'd probably give him a good talking to the first time I found out about it if it was something like not checking in. If he kept doing it repeatedly or was poaching, then he's no friend of mine. Yes. I'd turn him in.

GMMAT 12-26-2007 07:21 AM

Arthur:

Good answer....and the poll keeps it anonymous. BUT....I concur with your answer....and I will act accordingly.;)

stikbow26 12-26-2007 07:25 AM

Sorry Yes!!!! Walt

iowabob85 12-26-2007 07:27 AM

That is a toughy there but I kinda look at it like this. If you follow all the game laws you really expect your friends to follow them also. Maybe a good talking to with him would change his ways but if that doesn't work then you have to do what you have to do.

PreacherTony 12-26-2007 07:34 AM

No. I would not hunt with him, nor would I entertain conversation about his hunting season, and I would definitely try and talk some sense into him, but I would not turn him in.

eelriver 12-26-2007 07:42 AM

I had to answer no, because of a situation I am currently in. I have a friend who I've hunted with for 25 years. He is a close friend, and it would be impossible for me to turn him in.For unexplained reasons the last couple of years he has decided the game laws are for you guys, and not him. ( just little things). We have discussed this and he seems to blow it off.

Things came to a head this year when he killed a small buck and didn't tag it. I told him if he wants to do those things he can hunt without me in the future. We have a whole year to work things out; and hopefully we can, but turn him in.... NO WAY. The most I could ever do is no longer hunt with him.

brucelanthier 12-26-2007 07:44 AM

If a friend was breaking other laws would you turn him in? Say, if you knew a guy was stealing from stores and was not going to stop or if you knew he was drinking and driving and wouldn't stop? I think the answer goes beyond the breaking of game laws and speaks directly to knowing someone is breaking the law, any law, and either ignoring it or doing something about it.

Arthur's answer pretty much sums it up. Try and reason with him but if that does not work then you need to decide whether you should allow him to continue breaking the law, any law, or doing something to stop it.

GMMAT 12-26-2007 07:48 AM

BECAUSE I am an outdorrsman.....I can't help it....I see game laws as somehow more sacred than some other laws (If I were a highway patrolman I might feel otherwise).

Tell me you're going 9 over the speed limit.....I could care less. Tell me you're shooting more bucks than you shoud be,........and I care.

But that's just me.

brucelanthier 12-26-2007 07:49 AM

So a chronic drunk driver gets a pass from you?