Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you turn him in? >

Would you turn him in?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
41.71%
No
58.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you turn him in?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you turn him in?

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Well, I think we are probably twisting this in a direction to try and see the "other" side. I doubt the person in GMMATS original question, is in this situation or Jeff and his Wife would either Donate a Doe or send them a gift card to the Grocery store. They are that kind of people!

As (HNI)Men we are Hunters and Providers and we'd like to think that if a situation ever occurred where we could not buy food for our family that somehow we could still provide the basics. Those are our survival instincts.

To let this scenerio go much beyond this point is just making conversation.
Good point Bob .... I recant my other examples ........ oops .... to late []I'll shut up now [X(]
Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Also......I'm not making ANY of this up. This is 100% real.

The person/persons in my "hypothetical" have taken WELL beyond what the law allowsfor in my state. WELL beyond.

He/they also have no DIRECT affect on my hunting area. That point is moot, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You're the kind of guy that seems to me to overstep his boundries. You're also the guy that I suspect would turn folks in and wonder why your property is vandalized or that you need to fear what may happen to you out in the woods.
Over step his boundaries???? Please explain????

Should we keep our silence when others are breaking game laws.....for fear of retribution by the very people that we're turning in for breaking the law? Is that a healthy situation......for the law abiding?
GMMAT,

You do what you want. Every person weighs pluses and minuses differently.

Somemay believe thatthey'll come back as a butterfly to continue to enjoy life. For others they feel that decisions they make in this life will affect thier placement after death.

Others are niave to think that most folks are rational and won't really take matters into thier own hands. Then there are the folks that just react without thinking. Then wonder why me when thier comfortable little world suddenly has a kink in it.

Me, I believe I'm not taking any chances with my currently breathing status and the pursuit of happiness.

If you want to have a real philsophical debate, consider what is a law? Should I follow the law and why? Don't impose your decision to follow what you are told onto others. Someone just might not like that too much one day.

Tom

Giant Nontypical

It's all about line drawing... and I can see both sides of the fence...

On one hand, guys can get pretty carried away with hunting - and sometimes the conduct becomes so egregious that you just can't look the other way anymore. We're working with a limited natural resource that is seemingly in unlimited demand. We rely on our peers to play by the rules, and since law enforcement is spread so thin, we do rely on one another to report violators when violations are taking place.

On the other hand, this is a recreational activity. Is it really going to have any long-term impact on your life if some guy goes out and shoots a deer with his kid's tag? Or fakes a disability to get a crossbow permit? Or shoots a buck in a doe-only season?

Personally - I'd base everything on the egregiousness of the conduct. Really, if it's just a one-time thing, or something on the de minimisside of things - I'd probably just keep quiet. If it's really bad, I'd probably let him know that if it doesn't stop - you're going to have to talk to someone about it.

From my experience, if you make it REALLY clear that you're not going to tolerate any shady behavior - the problem will take care of itself (i.e. - they'll either stop doing what they're doing, or they'll find a new place to hunt, where they don't always have to be looking over their shoulder).

Nontypical Buck

Geez, with friends like these, who needs an enemy?[&:]A deer goes untagged and he lost all friends AND gets a dime dropped on him. God forbid if he cheats on his taxes or gets the senior discount at Dennys when he's a year too young.[]
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Geez, with friends like these, who needs an enemy?[&:]A deer goes untagged and he lost all friends AND gets a dime dropped on him. God forbid if he cheats on his taxes or gets the senior discount at Dennys when he's a year too young.[]
What if my "friend" steals your treestand? He told me he just "found" it in the woods. Should I just let it slide?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess if I was to answer the original question given the additional facts my answer would be:

If you know he is doing wrong, and your conscious, tells you to act. Then, yes turn him in. But to so without the bravado of calling attention to yourself. Turn him in on a tip line anonymously. To bring attention to yourself in his "neck-of-the-woods" only brings possible retribution and that's not gonna be good for anyone!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

OK...for the sake of the "example".....let's say it's a guy you shoot 3D with. You shoot 3-4 times a week (in the off season). You find out about his hunting "escapades" only recently.

You don't have each other over for dinner.....but you're "friends".
doesn't sound like a "friend" by my standards... to me, friends are the guys you'd have stand up at your wedding, guys you'd call in a tough spot cuz you could count on them, guys you'd do anything to help out if they were in a tough spot... sounds to me like an acquaintance... I'd bring it up casually, maybe find out more about his situation, etc... i'd still be on the edge of turning him in, but, by the same token, if he does this long enough, he's gonna get caught eventually without your intervention... just my .02... breakin the law? certainly... is he really hurtin others? not so much... i'd still be about 60/40 on the "no" side of this one at this point
Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

PT,

I have way more food in my house to make it 2 weeks without being able to get out. I also have a 4x4 and am healthy enough to walk to a store for food if need be.

A 2 week blizzard creating a state of emergency for a widespread area is VASTLY different from Jimbob falling on hard times and quickly resorting to poaching instead of finding other means to provide food.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

What if my "friend" steals your treestand? He told me he just "found" it in the woods. Should I just let it slide?
Bruce, did "my friend" shoot "your" deer? Sounds like greed to me.

BTW, I did get a stand stolen last year. Tell your friend to send it back or you'll call the feds.

Quick Reply: Would you turn him in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.