Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you turn him in? >

Would you turn him in?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
41.71%
No
58.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you turn him in?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you turn him in?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Not going by the voting, just going by the responses and the “well it depends” attitude of most of them. Which I can understand to a point, but it just seems like there is a double standard out there. You’ll see on the boards all the time. We HATE poachers! Down with those scum! Then ask people if they turn them in and it’s “Well…it wasn’t in my area….I don’t know all the facts…..maybe he was feeding his family……”

But we'd each weigh the facts, the character of the people accused, what's here-say vs what can we prove if we turn them in.
So your saying, you are being investigator, judge & jury BEFORE making the call? Shouldn't the WCO make that determination if there is enough to investigate?
Well yes but you have to have some basis to make the call. I hope your not just gonna call a WCO just because you haven't seen the 10 pt you had on trailcam all summer..Well heck as good as a hunter as I am I would have seen him by now..He must have been poached!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

taking someone elses example, what if the guy IS feeding his family out of this, he's breakin the law, you're gonna deny his family of food???
What if he is stealing heating oil to provide heat for his family? You gonna deny his family heat? Or like the other guy said, how about if he steals money from you to feed his family? Is it OK to break the law if you are "providing" for your family?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if he comes and steals and smashes your computer cuz he's tired of arguing every possible scenerio??

Does that make him a hero or a villian??
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

What if he comes and steals and smashes your computer cuz he's tired of arguing every possible scenerio??

Does that make him a hero or a villian??
As long as he smashes your computer and not mine then he is a hero. But that is the point, isn't it? It's OK if he steals as long as he doesn't steal from me .
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

taking someone elses example, what if the guy IS feeding his family out of this, he's breakin the law, you're gonna deny his family of food???
What if he is stealing heating oil to provide heat for his family? You gonna deny his family heat? Or like the other guy said, how about if he steals money from you to feed his family? Is it OK to break the law if you are "providing" for your family?
do you equate stealing from other people to feeding his family from natural resources?? i sure don't... i see that particular example as no different than cutting down a tree for heat...
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

do you equate stealing from other people to feeding his family from natural resources?? i sure don't... i see that particular example as no different than cutting down a tree for heat...
If the natural resources are "free" to take then why do you buy a hunting license and only hunt in season?

EDIT: Oh, and go into any park and try and cut down a tree for heat and see if it is "free" .
Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think point that some are missing is this:

If it is a friend who needs help, he will get it from me. If I sit back let a friend get to a point he has to steal/poach/lie to feed his family; well I am not much of a friend than.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 AM

If the natural resources are "free" to take then why do you buy a hunting license and only hunt in season?

EDIT: Oh, and go into any park and try and cut down a tree for heat and see if it is "free" .
I buy a license cuz i play by the rules.... and I hunt in season for the same reason...

as for the park? well, that's maintained by tax dollars, i'm sure he's payin taxes on somethin no? point being that I didn't say free, just that its the moral equivalent of using a tree for heat... not like he's robbing someone at gun point or breaking into their home to get their fuel oil for his home...

but as I said way earlier in this thread, if a few deer are more important than your friends you seriously need to look at your priorities... based on GMMAT's further details, I'm on the fence about whether or not this guy is actually a friend rather more like an acquaintance, but in the end, i doubt I'd turn him in regardless for fear of retribution if he found out who turned him in... besides, if you did it annonomously how could you continue to shoot and BS with him without carrying around a ton of guilt, obviously his act is despicable to GMMAT, so why conitnue to hang out with him??? first course of action should be to tell him what you think about the situation, he'll either listen and take it to heart or he'll stop associating with GMMAT... either way, the results will tell you if he is a friend or not... if he bails on the "friendship" he wasn't a friend and there should be no guilt in turning him in if thats the decision... but if he is a friend he may actually listen and start living up to the rules... in the end, its just a matter of time before he does get caught, karma is a b!tch and I see no need to insert myself into a situation any further than that...

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

To those who have a strong stance on this topic, my question is how many hunters do you hang out with or know just as an acquaintancesthat you consider to be "poachers" or "game law breakers"? Reason I ask is that it's easy to answer the question with a knee-jerk response - "Heck yeah I'd turn them in" - if you don't know anyone first hand who might be involved in questionable activities.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he's a friend, why would you let him get so desperate for food that he's forced to go out and poach? Why aren't you and hisother friendshelping him out? Letting a friend and his family starve just proves eitherthat you do not really a consider him a friend,or that you've got morality issues.

We had apoll on here a whileback about breakinggame laws and would you do it. It ran about the same way this one is going, with a pretty healthy majority saying they already do, or would in 'special circumstances'. Just like the 'special circumstances' excuses being made here. I lost a lot of respect for a great manypeople on this forum over that one. This poll is just reinforcing the result of that one.

But talk about hypocrites! Griping about others' ethics shortcomings while you go around talking and acting likeour game lawsare optional? Grey area my hind end!

Quick Reply: Would you turn him in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.