Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you turn him in? >

Would you turn him in?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
41.71%
No
58.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you turn him in?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you turn him in?

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Depending on how severe the violation is. I'd probably give him a good talking to the first time I found out about it if it was something like not checking in. If he kept doing it repeatedly or was poaching, then he's no friend of mine. Yes. I'd turn him in.
Agree 100%
Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

[blockquote]quote:

Say what you want to say right from the get go and this type of stuff doesn't happen[/blockquote]

Kinda hard to do that, Paul,when you ask a black and white question to start off and people start inventing varying shades of gray area in order to rationalize their 'no' responses.
[/blockquote]

wait, no varying shades of white to justify the yes responses?? seems to me like there are plenty of those as well...
A yesresponse does not need any justification because it's the right thing to do.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would just distance yourself from him. What hes doing obviously bothers you to the point you want him in jail. I just can't see how hes even your friend.
Next time your shooting with him tell him you don't want to hear about illegally shot deer anymore. If you don't speak up he thinks you don't mind him doing it.
He might actually change his ways.
Think about it; you shoot a buck illegally, and you go to show all the guys at the ole' hunt club. If they all turned you away, next time you would think before you shot another illegal deer. It's the fear you won't be respected among your peers.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

This isn't always a yes or no question........

My answer would depend on the violation. The guys who shoot 9 bucks when two are legal.... no question about it. They're turned in. Period.

I DO get irritated when I hear the "feed the family" crap. In this day and age, there are too many safety valves for those in financial distress. Would it be OKif a guy broke into your home or car and stole money and went to the grocery store with the money? I really love it when I see a guy leaned over the bar after being there for hours telling how he had to kill a few deer illegally"to feed the family"while he spends enough at the bar that day on beer and the poker machine to feed a family for a week[:'(]

Now, there's a lot of situations where I wouldn't do a thing. Mostly the violations where the land, landowners,the game, and fellow hunters arent harmed.Things like not wearing orange when on private property, hunting a few minutes after hours on a bright clear day, putting down any severly woundedanimal that doesnt happen to be in season. Tresspassing strictly to recover a deer before it spoils when the owner is unreachable for permision.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

This topic really shows how “socially acceptable” poaching is.
The argument has been made for both sides. You have the morally right/wrong debate, fear of retaliation, a “no harm no foul” attitude, and letter of the law people. It’s difficult to say which path is truly the “right” one.

I will say one thing though, and not pointing to anyone specifically, but for as much as poachers are despised in the hunting community, that certainly doesn’t carryover to actually turning them in.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

The argument has been made for both sides. You have the morally right/wrong debate, fear of retaliation, a “no harm no foul” attitude, and letter of the law people. It’s difficult to say which path is truly the “right” one.

I will say one thing though, and not pointing to anyone specifically, but for as much as poachers are despised in the hunting community, that certainly doesn’t carryover to actually turning them in.
Well atleast if you know the poachers Rybo Then it becomes "not" cool to do what is right. We all know what the right thing to do is, but we seldom do so, and make a boat load of exuces to justify our actions.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know that it's socially acceptable based on this thread. This is one of those things that you can't answer honestly unless you are there.

I mean GMMAT told us the truth as he knows it..

But we'd each weigh the facts, the character of the people accused, what's here-say vs what can we prove if we turn them in.

Plus the whole story and known details were not established early in the voting..so no, I don't believe this is an accurate sampling of what the hunting community would do.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not going by the voting, just going by the responses and the “well it depends” attitude of most of them. Which I can understand to a point, but it just seems like there is a double standard out there. You’ll see on the boards all the time. We HATE poachers! Down with those scum! Then ask people if they turn them in and it’s “Well…it wasn’t in my area….I don’t know all the facts…..maybe he was feeding his family……”

But we'd each weigh the facts, the character of the people accused, what's here-say vs what can we prove if we turn them in.
So your saying, you are being investigator, judge & jury BEFORE making the call? Shouldn't the WCO make that determination if there is enough to investigate?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 AM

A yesresponse does not need any justification because it's the right thing to do.
apparently not always... all i'm sayin is that if you (or anyone else) is gonna justify turnin in your friend for this and you're not turning him in for other violations it is hypocritical...

taking someone elses example, what if the guy IS feeding his family out of this, he's breakin the law, you're gonna deny his family of food??? yes need justification in that case... unfortunately, their IS grey area when it comes to morals/ethics vs. the law where it is black and white... sometimes morally the law is unjust, which is why YES votes can need justification as well...
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Well atleast if you know the poachers Rybo Then it becomes "not" cool to do what is right. We all know what the right thing to do is, but we seldom do so, and make a boat load of exuces to justify our actions.
Well said, both of you.

Quick Reply: Would you turn him in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.