Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's say you shoot an elk.... >

Let's say you shoot an elk....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's say you shoot an elk....

Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let's say you shoot an elk....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So....is the consensus.....that it's illegal to hunt a species....if the game laws of the state doesn't have a defined season for that species?

Heck I thought it was an interesting scenario. We have elk here in NC.....but have no elk season. I'm betting there are many who would take the approach that since there are no regulations concerning those animals......that they are able to be killed, legally.

Whether that's right or wrong....Im betting there are those who believe that.
I'm sure your right Jeff! These people that do these kinds of things are lacking brains and common sense!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

When I run into these situations..."when in doubt"...I usually shoot first and ask questions later. I set my F stop as wide open as possible and try to keep the shutter speed above 1/60 of a second. I dump as many frames as possible. The idea there...maybe one frame will be the perfect shot! It seems to work!

Hope that helps...
Lmao!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

So....is the consensus.....that it's illegal to hunt a species....if the game laws of the state doesn't have a defined season for that species?
In NY there is no"Season" for Woodchucks orRed sqirrels that I know of, yet you can takes them any time of the year as far as I know.

I do know it would be very illegal to shoot an Elk or Moose in NY - and there is no season for either here.

Swine and Exotics are not protected in NY (unless the animal is protected by superceeding laws - CITIES for example- eg, Chimpanzee).

FH
Old 12-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about this ...... let's say the urban legend is true ..... here comes a mountain lion in NY .... maybe even threatening you or a member of your party .... DEC claims these legends of cougars aren't true, yet there is one 30 yards from you .... growling ..... what do you do?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

About the cougar staring you down. Would you rather be dead or a little bit of trouble?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:20 PM

Ok so a Sasquatch walks by your stand and if you drop it, you can once and for all prove its existance. But there is no open season on them?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say illegal unless there is a specified season.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

How about this ...... let's say the urban legend is true ..... here comes a mountain lion in NY .... maybe even threatening you or a member of your party .... DEC claims these legends of cougars aren't true, yet there is one 30 yards from you .... growling ..... what do you do?
In MO, the DNRwill allow you to shoot a Mountain Lion in self defenseor if it is attacking your pet or livestock. They have pretty much stated they do not want them reestablishing a population in MO. They view them as being too dangerous to have a breeding population established.

And you can kill wild hogs by any means with any weaponat any time in any numbers you want. Sounds like fun to me.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 AM

wouldnt it be considered an exotic?...in texas there are no bag imits or seasons for exotics....u can kill as many as u see....
Old 12-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

yet there is one 30 yards from you .... growling ..... what do you do?
Take her back to the bar where I found her.[&:]

I think it's usually protected if you read the full regulations. I' sure in NY they mention you can't shoot a moose. Pest animals(such as pigs) are fair game. Texas is the only state I ever hunted in where you could whack an exotic year round.

Quick Reply: Let's say you shoot an elk....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.