Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics) >

Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

ORIGINAL: buckeye

For a 6 pointer you would measure the length of the beam from the center line of the g-2 to the end of the main beam and mark equal distances from the center line of the g-2 towards the tip for the h-3and that distance again towards the tip fir the h-4.

example: center of g-2 to the tip = 6"
h-3 taken 2" from the center of the g-2
h-4 taken 2" from the h-3

I do know that this is incorrect.....

There is two ways to measure a 3X3 and it all depends if it has brow tines or not....

If it has brow tines you measure H1-H3 the same as always and then use your H3 measurement as your H4 as well.

[/align]If there is no brow tine youtake the circumference measurement at the smallest point between the burr and "G2" and use this measurement as the H1 and theH2. Then take the H3 and H4 as normal.

[/align]
I got back from getting my deer scored tonight and asked the scorer these same questions.

For a 6 pointer with brow tines, Buckeye is right.

For a 6 pointer without brow tines I was told H-1 is between the burr and the first point (smallest measurement), H-2 is taken between the first and second point and the H-3 and H-4 are taken half the distance from the last point to the tip of the main beam.

As someone mentioned before, a spike has all 4 measurements taken in the center of the spike.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

I got back from getting my deer scored tonight and asked the scorer these same questions.

For a 6 pointer with brow tines, Buckeye is right.

For a 6 pointer without brow tines I was told H-1 is between the burr and the first point (smallest measurement), H-2 is taken between the first and second point and the H-3 and H-4 are taken half the distance from the last point to the tip of the main beam.

As someone mentioned before, a spike has all 4 measurements taken in the center of the spike.

I am not saying your official measurer is "wrong" I am just saying that my P&Y guide to scoring whitetail deer says differently.....

It says, and I am quoting directly from the P&Y publication. "If the brow tine is completely missing, the circumference is taken at the smallest place between the burr and the normal second point, G2 and recorded for bothH-1 and H-2......

I looked and looked for this book over the past years and could never find it until just the other day.... I was looking for old tax stuff in the filing cabinet and I found it in the filingcabinet???? I have no idea how it got in there???? [&:]

That was me who guessed on how to scorea spikes H measurements.... Not to bad a guess It has no refrence in my book to this.....
[/align]
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Great explanation!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for this thread!!! Very informative.

You do know that 4/8 is the same as 1/2 right? lol
Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

deer are measured in 8ths.

Have you ever heard 152 1/2''
Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

deer are measured in 8ths.

Have you ever heard 152 1/2''
so why did he say to round off 3/16 to 1/4 and not to 2/8?[&:]
Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If you measure in 1/8ths there'd be no reason to "round off".

You are to measure to the nearest 1/8. For example, if a tinemeasures 5 3/16's long you would round up to 5 1/4. If the tine was just short of 5 3/16 you would mark the measurement down as 5 1/8. So basically, like previously mentioned round to the nearest 1/8.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't care how you do it

The score sheet has 8ths on it
Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I guess I'm still a little confused. So that buck has four different measurement classifications?

And let's look at my buck in the pic below....he could be considered typical gross or typical net but nothing else, correct?

I'm gonna rescore all three of my previous bucks this evening.[&:]
Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I guess I'm still a little confused. So that buck has four different measurement classifications?

And let's look at my buck in the pic below....he could be considered typical gross or typical net but nothing else, correct?

I'm gonna rescore all three of my previous bucks this evening.[&:]
That buck is definitely a typical buck. His typical GROSS score is all the inches total. His typical NET score takes a deduction for the differences in the 2 sides. Say he was 60" on the left and 58" on the right, with a 15" spread. His GROSS score would be 133". His NET would be 131" due to deductions.

Quick Reply: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.