Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
best way to go about this?? >

best way to go about this??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best way to go about this??

Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default best way to go about this??

ok i am getting into archery after i get a job in march and will be setting up of buying a bow somewhere in april or so...i have a bear bruin in my garage that hasnt been shot in atleast 3 years and is sitting there full draw weight and has pretty bottom line components..i can tell and i dont know much about bows yet..the rest is just a piece of coated wire...the sites are way outdated...the stabalizer is rusting and doesnt look like anything special..and thats all thats on the bow..i figured id need a goo 200+ to get her into new condition again and still its a big bow like most older ones were and things like that...i need everything for it just like i would a new bow....im thinking buying a new bow is better and will fit me better and it will be alot nicer to shot and easier to become more profiecient with...i need arrows..a target(perferably a 3d so i can learn how to hit a deer at angles with a bow) a release..the bow and all the compnents and id like to stay under 500$...and i want good parts and a decint bow that will shoot nice and be pretty accurate...any suggestions on what you would do if you were me???i plan on just going to the proshop and having them set me all up but what would you recomend a good bow would be for me?? do you think its worth setting up the old bow or would that more than likely be a waste of money and time..? thanx alot...
Old 01-29-2003, 11:30 AM

Default RE: best way to go about this??

mauser,

If you know how to tune, adjust, and sight in a bow, your best bet would be to order one off the internet. If you don,t I would say go to a local pro-shop. Check out some of the stuff they got. Here are a couple bows that I know are in your price range and are still good bows.

Browning Tornado (can get with a Browning kit so your ready to go)

Hoyt MT Sport

Martin Tracer Mag

These are three REALLY good bows that are about 299.99 stock, and, if you don't go crazy on accessories, you can spend 200.00 and stay under your 500 mark.

The Browning Tornado kit is on the internet for around 389.99

Browning also has a few other kits......

Browning Archery Gold 33 Kit for 399.99
Browning Buckmark Kit for 299.99
Browning Ambush XB Kit for 299.99

And if you want to step it up a notch and get a very high quality bow and a good package for cheap, you can go with the

Browning Mirage 33 kit, it is 449.99 but, it is well worth it. Here are some specs on it.

Browning Mirage 33, single cam bow, 33" axle to axle length, 7" brace height, weight of 3 pounds 9 ounces, 65%-75% let-off, and a IBO speed of 300 f.p.s. That is about 204 miles per hour. The bow includes Twist-Lock 7 arrow quiver, 3-pin fiber optic sight, TM Silent Hunter rest, 4 1/2" stabilizer, peep sight, nock set, string silencers, and nylon braided wrist sling.

Thats everything but arrows and broadheads.

If you could get a pro-shop that would help you set up a bow that you bought off the internet, this is a very good choice.

I would definetly go around and shoot some of the newer bows, get a feel for them, decide what you want and dont want, then go pick and choose until you get the bow you like.

Here are a few terms that will help....

Brace Height- this is the length from the string to the center of the grip. The longer the brace height, the more forgiving the bow. By forgiving, I mean, the arrow stays on the string for a shorter amount of time, which means that you have less chance of messing up the shot by moving your hand. I would definetly look for a bow with a big brace considering that you will be a novice archer. This will help you shoot better.

Axle to axle length- this is the length from the center of each cam to the center of the other cam (or idler wheel). A good bow size is 34 1/2" to 36" for a new guy. You can get a longer axle to axle bow which will help you be a better shot, but, they are also bulky and hard to hunt with. If you aren't a pro at shooting a bow, a small axle to axle bow like the Hoyt HavocTec (31&quot will be nice for a treestand, but, it will be more difficult to shoot.

IBO speed, this is a measurement of how fast a bow shoots when set to IBO standards. This is almost unachieveable if the bow is being used for hunting purposes.

AMO speed, this is the same as IBO speed but, with different standards. AMO speed will always be less because it is a heavier arrow and less draw weight.

I have always believed that for you average hunting set up, you should be right around the middle of AMO and IBO speeds, so, in other words, if the IBO speed is 300 f.p.s., and the AMO speed is 230 f.p.s. , a average hunting set up will give you around 265 f.p.s.

Single cam bow- A single cam bow means that at the top of the bow is a round wheel (idler wheel) and at the bottom is an essentric or cam. A cam is usually radically shaped in an oval type shape. A single cam bow doesn't have cam syncronization, but, can still need cam timing.

Dual cam bow- This is a bow that has a cam at the top and bottom. These usually need adjustment on a fairly regular basis, but, this amount has been exagerated badly in the past few years.

I hope this helps you out, I am sure that there are guys who can give you a little more info on this, but, I am running out of time, I have gotta get everything finished on here so I can head up to my pro-shop in about two hours. I am looking for a new bow too.

P.S. I might consider selling my 2002 Hoyt MT Sport with ZR200 limbs and the Versa-Cam. I would sell it as is, which includes everything to hunt. E-mail me if you want and I will give you the price, a list of all of the modifications, and, just let me know. [email protected] There is a underscore ( _ ) between jason and lowmaster

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet

Check out my hunting PICS here http://community.webshots.com/user/buckmagnet
Old 01-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can pick up a quality bow for $200. One that comes to mind is a PSE Nova. There are other brands/models that will do you fine. You don't have to get caught up in $$$ for a quality bow.
Figure for accesories
$30 rest
$15 limbsavers
$50 release
$20 stabilizer
$35 1/2 doz arrows
$70 3d target
$50 sights
THat puts you in the upper $400 which gives you a little room to spare and allow for pricing choice. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:15 PM

good job buck magnet.
way to hang in there for a future bowhunter.
mauser06 hang on, if you buy a bow, you are going to go for a ride. it has been the best thing i have ever done. i,like most of the others on this site live for bowhunting. my wife on the other hand wishes i would of never bought the first one, so be prepared for what you are about to do.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2003, 02:04 PM

I agree with Jimmya ...fasten your seatbelt ! And I think everyone has given you good advise ! At least stop by a pro shop and get measured for your correct draw length , as that is extremely critical in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

im prepared..i live to hunt and fish and heard how addicting and exciting bow hunting is and i love being close to game and i think i will like it very much...thing is i dont think i can goto a proshop and test bows..ive never shot a bow except a little wannabe compound bow before i was old enough to use a real one made for kids..my dad quit just when we were going to get me a real compound with sights and all...i would proball miss the target and look real dumb...or are they prepared for people like me?? and i did include the target and arrows in my budget and would like it all to stay around 500...i gota save for a truck to take me hunting in the fall and car insurance and all that fun stuff..i figured i can spend that and still save enough to get a good down payment for my truck...and im prepared to spend every minute everyday i can shooting my bow...believe me i love to shoot and loved shooting bows with my dad when i was young..i love the outdoors..and i will be dedicated to this new type of hunting and shooting just like all others...i cant stand seeing nice bucks in fall turkey season which is during bow season within bow range and having a shotgun in my hands..come rifle season they are nowhere to be found..thats my main motivation is so i can score on nice bucks...my dad gave up on me first he tried telling me not to..now he gave in and isnt telling me what to do..hes been treating me more like an adult lately..today he told me if im going to bowhunt hed perfer me be in a ladder stand because he doesnt like climbers but i will show him the one i want and tell him if he carrys my ladder stand 2 miles back in the woods and 2 miles out every day for me i will use it if not i have to get a climber..and i have tons of areas i will hunt..i cant just tie down my only stand..the one i want is safe and looks safe and he will see things my way when i shed some light on it..back in his day climbers were probally very unsafe and thats why he thinks that way..thanx for your help...
Old 01-30-2003, 06:51 AM

$30 rest
$15 limbsavers
$50 release
$20 stabilizer
$35 1/2 doz arrows
$70 3d target
$50 sights

HARVESTING YOUR FIRST BUCK WITH A BOW.............$$ PRICELESS!!

sounds like some sound advice here you have already. I went through this last year and ended up spending a lot more than I wanted to by the time it was all said and done. That's just because I'm a moron. You do have to be careful though. It can add up if you don't watch yourself. You also have to factor in all the other goodies too. Scents, sprays, camo, grunts, etc..... Good luck and keep it simple!!

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:52 AM

One more thing to the good advice the others gave. Go into the
shop as soon as you can. When you are this far into the off season
the owner will have plenty of time to help you and answer questions.
Dont wait til late summer or a month before bow season. The shop
will be full of the last minute guys.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:52 AM

One other good bow for about $220 is the Buck Saber by Champion, I shoot one of these, and it's a great bow, especially for the money. You will have no complaints with this bow, and you can get top end accessories as well as whatever arrows you want and a target for your budget.
Browse the tech forums on this site and others to get a good idea before going and making the purchase.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.