Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunter Saftey System??? >

Hunter Saftey System???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter Saftey System???

Old 12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunter Saftey System???

It was mearly a blue jama joke dave [8D]I know what ya mean, i use all the pockets. i wear mine on the outside as well.
ORIGINAL: davidmil

That was my complaint Ridge. LOL And yes I know you can wear it under neath Blood, but in doing so you can't use all the neat little pockets that are great. Besides not being able to use them, you paid extra bucks to have them in the first place. If you aren't going to use them you might as well wear one of the strap type harnesses. Make sure you get the prusics rope for it. It's the only way to go. I also bought the linemans belt attachment which works.... but no where near as good as a real linemans belt.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Spike

I have used the camo/blaze reversible vest for two seasons now and like it very much. Like other users, I do not use the included tree strap but use the rope/prussic knot/carabiner that came with my Lone Wolf stand.

It is a great convenience to have untangled straps (especially on those dark mornings) and the numerous pockets are very handy: I keep all of my gear (gloves/tree rope/headnet/handkerchief/pull-up rope/wind checker/whistle-compass) in the pockets, eliminating the need to change gear when I wear different sets of hunting clothes.

I also sewed my hunting knife sheath onto the vest so that the knife/saw is always available and a small carabiner sewn onto the vest holds my flashlight. With my license on the back of the vest, my gear is always ready to go.

I only wish that HSS would include a lining in the large pockets: a nice wind-proof fleece material would add a minimal amount to the price and make for warm hands. I also removed the velcro on the small right pocket: opening the pocket to get my windchecker made too much noise.

After starting with the harness that came with my Lone Wolf stand and then spending $50 on a SOP harness that had tangling issues, this vest is one of the most satisfying purchases that I have made.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I have honestly never put anything in the pockets of my pro mesh. I wear it under my last outer layer.

Just different ways of doing things. I don't have problems with it "catching" on anything my way.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't have one but probably should!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

luv mine!!! you guys that hate yours, want to sell'em cheap?
Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've never used the tree strap that came with mine either. I use the rope and prussic knot also because it moves faster up and down the tree. The rope and knot are so much easier and quicker to adjust than a buckle when you are moving it that it saves alot of time. Plus, being able to extend the length off the tree does make it easier to move around or keep it in a comfortable spot behind me.

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

you just made me remember something droptine I like using the summit prussic knot teather with mine instead of the strap that came with it. this way it allows you to climb and decend while teathered to the tree the whole time (always connected) and allows a little more room for those twisted around the tree shots.
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

love mine, it feels heavy when you hold it but after its on you dont notice it so much.
Agreed. Very comfortable. Ididnt have one for early season, but I have worn one since it got cold. I wear it under my outer layer.

It kind of compresses your under layers, which helps keep you warm. Plus, like stated above, you dont even notice its on.

Just a tip, dont feed the strap through the harness tether. Put a carabiner on the tether, attach the tree strap to the tree and then clip the harness tether to the tree strap with the carabiner.

This allows you to unclip if you need to in order to make a tough shot, and, if you are in a tree with branches or have an adjacent trees branches close enough and your stand fails, you can unclip if you need to in order to get footing and/or climb down using said branches.

Just a good idea in my opinion.