Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them? >

Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 PM

Default RE: Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Here is a little tip for you guys. If you live in an area that doesn't have very many lions and you see one, don't tell anyone, just shoot him. There is a certain state out west that put a proposition on the ballets to protect this poor little kitty and it passed. Many years have passed and now the deer herd is really suffering. The DFG admits that there is a problem, but their hands are tied because the law was passed by the people. The DFG won't even attempt to educate the public on the problem. The local hunting community has passed their own law called the SSS. Shoot Shovel and Shut up. The cats are so overpopulated they have moved into residential areas and are feeding on dogs and cats. A bear hunter treed 7 cats in one week on one ranch this fall. A word for the wise, don't bring any attention to this killers.

Pops

Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 AM

Theres one that roams some river property that i hunt on. See him very rarely, and never get a shot at him, but he's there. The farmers hate him but no one can seem to get him. He doesn't mess with anyone though.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Typical Buck

Live in central illinois, where my grandparents used to live they seemed to see one quite a bit. They had three sightings of what they assume was 1 BLACK cat within a mile of their house over the course of like a year.

1) They were driving home one day and they looking off the side of the road, and on this little hill about 15 feet off the road they said he was laying down on top of the hill.

2) They had a logging crew in their woods cutting, and my grandpa said all the guys showed up at the house and told him they weren't going back to the woods for a while cause a black panther was sitting up on top of this ridge over looking the bottom they were cutting in

3) My grandpa saw the cat back in the woods one day when he was heading out to deer hunt

Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 AM

I havent but my grandpa did. I dont know what year. But as he was driving home from elk hunting. As he pulled out of a loggin road. he saw a couger walking along the side of the road.I folowed him for a mile untilll it stoped and ran off in to the woods.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go Noah, if you scroll down on this link down to the lynx and cougar map it will tell you the sighting and probable sightings in Wi.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/harvest/reports/raremamobserv06.pdf
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Here ya go Noah, if you scroll down on this link down to the lynx and cougar map it will tell you the sighting and probable sightings in Wi.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/harvest/reports/raremamobserv06.pdf
Tony thanks but that's 2006...Probably because they didn't release out 2007 yet.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

That's funny Jeff!

We have several in Oklahoma. I have never seen one while hunting. But have had friends get pictures of them on there trail camera.
On one big ranch we hunted a friend of mine had one (Mountain Lion)walk right under him while he was in his tree stand. We had seen his tracks several times. That was the first sighting though.

Darrall
Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Very interesting document from the WI DNR. Cougar are a very mobile and very adaptable predator. Deer are their preferred prey throughout their range. It is not surprising that they are present in WI, particularly in areas where deer baiting is common, making the deer more vulnerable IMO. I'd love to see one sometime. Saw a canine this year in gun season, Bayfield Co., prime fur, I convinced myself that it was a coyote, but shadow of doubt. If it was coyote, it was an extra large one.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call someonewitha pack of bear dogs, they will usually tree the cat and you can get to the tree and do the rest........
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've spent a lot of time up in them woods....ever been to the Flambeau-Rama in Park falls??
Everytime I'm up there. Pretty good place.

Me some guys usually throw a $20 in the Big Buck Hunter and hammer away.

Have you been to the Outhouse? Or as I call it, The Shrine to Cuddeback.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.