Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them? >

Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

They are called Florida Panther down here. I have seen some prints and scat down in the bottomland, but never seen one in person.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: npockat32

I heard they love to eat deer and eat one deer per week?
At least, thing is about the feline family, they kill just to kill not necessary for food. I'd be more than one deer a week if they have the opportunity.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is an interesting read about the so called black panther.

We had a couple here where I hunt swear they saw a black panther and I saw it too,it was a short nose,long tailed dog that looked just like a big cat.[8D]

The black panthers are usually leapords,which there are not very many of in the states.

[edit] Melanistic cougars
There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars. Black cougars have been reported in Kentucky and in the Carolinas. There have also been reports of glossy black cougars from Kansas and eastern Nebraska. These have come to be known as the North American black panther. None has ever been photographed or shot in the wild and none has been bred. There is wide consensus among breeders and biologists that the animal does not exist and is a cryptid. Sightings are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size.
Historically, black panthers in the American Southeast feature prominently in Choctaw folklore where, along with the owl, they are often thought to symbolize Death.
In his "Histoire Naturelle" (1749), Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon, wrote of the "Black Cougar": "M. de la Borde, King’s physician at Cayenne, informs me, that in the [South American] Continent there are three species of rapacious animals; that the first is the jaguar, which is called the tiger; that the second is the couguar [sic], called the red tiger, on account of the uniform redness of his hair; that the jaguar is of the size of a large bull-dog, and weighs about 200 pounds (90kg); that the couguar is smaller, less dangerous, and not so frequent in the neighbourhood of Cayenne as the jaguar; and that both these animals take six years in acquiring their full growth. He adds, that there is a third species in these countries, called the black tiger, of which we have given a figure under the appellation of the black couguar."
"The head," says M. de la Borde, "is pretty similar to that of the common couguar; but the animal has long black hair, and likewise a long tail, with strong whiskers. He weighs not much above forty pounds. The female brings forth her young in the hollows of old trees." This black couguar is most likely a margay or ocelot, which are under forty pounds, live in trees, and do occur in a melanistic phase.
Another description of a black cougar was provided by Pennant: "Black tiger, or cat, with the head black, sides, fore part of the legs, and the tail, covered with short and very glossy hairs, of a dusky colour, sometimes spotted with black, but generally plain: Upper lips white: At the corner of the mouth a black spot: Long hairs above each eye, and long whiskers on the upper lip: Lower lip, throat, belly, and the inside of the legs, whitish, or very pale ash-colour: Paws white: Ears pointed: Grows to the size of a heifer of a year old: Has vast strength in its limbs.-- Inhabits Brasil and Guiana: Is a cruel and fierce beast; much dreaded by the Indians; but happily is a scarce species;" (Pennant's Synops. of quad., p 180). According to his translator Smellie (1781), the description was taken from two black cougars exhibited in London some years previously.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got a few in my neck of the woods. I've seen one, not while out hunting though. My mom almost ran over one on the road... And my wife works with someone that has seen a female lion WITH kittens near their house in the country...

Of course according to the State Game and Fish Dept. we aren't suppose to have any actually 'living' in our area - supposadly, they are just transient males moving through the area - yeah right

Darn things are breeding like rabbits [:@]
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM

We've got lots of 'em and they tastes a lot like pork believe it or not.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen 2 in my back yard and many, many tracks nearby also. They see me more than I see them.

Bobby
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fishm@n

We've got lots of 'em and they tastes a lot like pork believe it or not.
A buddy of mine ate some steak that they made out of the back straps of one and said it was the best tasting meat he'd ever had.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: travisville

We got em here
Have you ever seen one up there? I've always wondered about them when we are bear hunting up there.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: lrhuntr

Family has a cabin near Park Falls, WI in Price County. Guy my uncle works will has a cabin near Butternut in Ashland County just north of us. He got a trail cam pic of one. I saw the pic of it. Kinda sends chills down your spine. Big cats with big teeth = a scary walk in the dark.
There has been some sightings down in the Shawnee National Forest, IL.One about 5 miles from my families land.

lrhuntr...

I've spent a lot of time up in them woods....ever been to the Flambeau-Rama in Park falls??

Good times...until they closed up Sculley's (sp?) and turned it into some kinda fashion boutique or something.[:@]

Quick Reply: Anyone have any mountain lions (panther) near them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.