Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS! >

***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: shawnfogelman

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
I'd rather talk to you guys who are out there battling the same things I face. Finding land, scouting, passing immature bucks, balancing life with hunting time..etc. I can benefit from your expiriences.
Thats right!!! Just like any other business in this world, hunting has sky rocketed in the past few years in popularity... Do you remember Harley Davidson motorcycles when you could buy a new Custom Softail for $13,000.00...?
I rode long before that. I was saying when they were 13,000 remember when they were 6,000.

Harleys haven't been the same since theyare no longer a dirty word. Harleys were at one time the wild horse that roamed the open range. Money was not the issue in riding one. Mine never had a saddle. Rode it bare back, leather saddle bags and a bed roll.

It was a time when a guy if he wanted in was required to do things, things that... One was if a guy got some new pants they couldn't be worn until all had baptized them with their golden water while they laid in the dirt. That was one of the milder things. A guy on a Harley scared the crap out of people. They were for the guy who didn't fit with all the "beautiful people". There's an old saying about dressing up a pig, still a pig. For some reason it become fashionable for the beautiful people to dress up as hogs.

I think that's the point the author of this thread is trying to make. The mountain man was at one time the outcast; he didn't fit in with the beautiful people. These days the beautiful people parade themselves around as mountain men. They've taken away from the outcast the only thing they really have, his individuality; He can’t afford it. Being push out of his hovel. Kind of like the tax man and bankers used to do to poor farmers.
I understood his very point. As I understand yours as well. I used the $13,000 as just an example. I too remember the $6000. But the majority of people on this site are younger..., ie... they don't know what an 8-Track is...he-he (Showing some age now huh...)
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
I'd rather talk to you guys who are out there battling the same things I face. Finding land, scouting, passing immature bucks, balancing life with hunting time..etc. I can benefit from your expiriences.
Thats right!!! Just like any other business in this world, hunting has sky rocketed in the past few years in popularity... Do you remember Harley Davidson motorcycles when you could buy a new Custom Softail for $13,000.00...?
I rode long before that. I was saying when they were 13,000 remember when they were 6,000.

Harleys haven't been the same since theyare no longer a dirty word. Harleys were at one time the wild horse that roamed the open range. Money was not the issue in riding one. Mine never had a saddle. Rode it bare back, leather saddle bags and a bed roll.

It was a time when a guy if he wanted in was required to do things, things that... One was if a guy got some new pants they couldn't be worn until all had baptized them with their golden water while they laid in the dirt. That was one of the milder things. A guy on a Harley scared the crap out of people. They were for the guy who didn't fit with all the "beautiful people". There's an old saying about dressing up a pig, still a pig. For some reason it become fashionable for the beautiful people to dress up as hogs.

I think that's the point the author of this thread is trying to make. The mountain man was at one time the outcast; he didn't fit in with the beautiful people. These days the beautiful people parade themselves around as mountain men. They've taken away from the outcast the only thing they really have, his individuality; He can’t afford it. Being push out of his hovel. Kind of like the tax man and bankers used to do to poor farmers.

Thank You, someone gets my point of veiw.. and yes I was 18 and bought custom softail used for $3,900. It was the first year of the evolution engine and the last year of the chain drive..

Amen to what you said! Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understood his very point. As I understand yours as well. I used the $13,000 as just an example. I too remember the $6000. But the majority of people on this site are younger..., ie... they don't know what an 8-Track is...he-he (Showing some age now huh...)
Wasn't really directing anything at you just speaking publicly and using your comments to leap off at my own peril.

I actually rode with a guy who went by the name of mountain man. He was and died in his 40's. Lived hard, died young. Fortunetly the Good Lord had a firmer hand with me,my wife.

One of his greatest rides was buck naked down a main street right past the college.The watering hole in town was appropriately called the Animal Shelter.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NYBigbucks

Thank You, someone gets my point of veiw.. and yes I was 18 and bought custom softail used for $3,900. It was the first year of the evolution engine and the last year of the chain drive..

Amen to what you said! Merry Christmas.
I only knew the chain driven.

Thanks for sticking up for the outcast. Hard for me to listen to the tax man and banker cry "poor me, you just don't understand. I've really had a hard time scratching and clawing my way to where I am". Cutting deals behind my back or in many cases on it. That's the rub, groups of people worshiping them at the chance to be let into the life style.

Like thesongs goes though "a country boy can survive"

I am no dog that worships the boot that kicks me.[8D]
Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go back to Canada... where they don't support the US and our troops!!!
That showed alot of maturity.What are you 16?

As far as Canada supporting our troops ask the soldiers that were saved in Afghanistan by Canadian snipers if they think Canada supports our troops.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NYBigbucks
I ama hunter, I eat, sleep and breath it...

I absolutely don't want to pit hunters against each other and everyone has a right to their opinion.. I spoke straight and forward on my thread and I expected the same with my responses. It agrevates me when people bash my opinion like you did... Just state you disagree and give your reasons.. I don't begrudge the pro staff people, I just don't feel they are all they are cracked up to be as far as their hunting skills on what they market themselves.. That is all.. As far as products, I buy some things, but most things are gimmicks that are riding on Prostaff's backs as what is making them a incredible hunter.. If we all had time, unlimited funds, and a camera man,couldn't we all kill or have opportunities to take big deer and other animals... Would that make me an authority on Hunting???? I am not saying all, but most Pro Staff hunt with outfitters that do all the scouting, stand placements, leg work for them.. How can they say that they are an authority on deer??? It is the guide that is.. maybe he should be endorsing what works for him...

Example: I bought a video from a local hunting store that was produced by 3 local guys that are young but did a great job with it and it's editing.. They never killed a P&Y buck on the video.... Lots of kills and none of the mistakes, mishaps were edited out... They did deer drives, hunted on the ground, and they had misses, a couple of bad hits, but most were great kills.. Nothing was edited out to make them look like they were great hunters.. It was REAL...and I enjoyed it very much because most hunters experience that.I have seen so many videos were pro staff guys have taken very very poor shots on the deer and never act like they did something wrong... Stan P*tts shot a huge 190" deer straight on in the front.. How is that being a pro... It is our ethical responsiblity to take clean kills.. Not saying I haven't done it when I was starting out at the ages of 13 and 14 butI progressed to be a better hunter andI also don't proclaim to be any kind of a pro, and I regreted those times undoubtedly thinking back...

My last point is that I just miss when hunting was just hunting... where you didn't need all the gimmicks and the kitchen sink.. Believe me I bought into the products for many years, but it wasn't till the last 5-6yrs I have just simplified down on gear and I go out an just hunt hard and I still kill alot of respectful deer.The industry seems like a cult now, and it made it hard for a working class guy to enjoy good hunting without emptying the bank.. To me this is going to drive guys not to hunt anymore... You know I have valid points and you may not care. I just wondered if anyone else felt the same.. As far as my remarks toward you , I apologize but dont think for one minute I don't love hunting... My life, job and everything else has been built around hunting because I have passion for it.. Have a Merry Christmas..and Happy Hunting.

NYBigbucks.

I am not bashing your way of thinking and I think you made a better point in this post than you have the entire thread. You came across in the original post as being anti everything regarding "pro hunters" and pro-staffers, now you have made some sensible points that I can agree with as well, but you also have to understand that there is a demand for hunting videos as an entertainment source (which is why most companies use outfitters to tape their hunts because it is a whole lot easier to kill big deer consistantly if someone does your homework for you ahead of time) now does this make them an authority on hunting, by no means, it is just a way of providing the entertainment to the veiwers. I personally have not hunted with an outfitter in 11 years and I feel I provide veiwers with entertaining AND educationalvideos. I do all my OWN scouting and stand placement, I also self video most of my hunts which adds an even higher degree of difficulty to laying down good footage and having a successful hunt. I use some products such as scent control spray and broadheads from companies that I pro-staff for, but I will be the first one to tell you if I don't believe in a product, I will NOT endorse it. And i don't believe any one product is going to make you a better hunter just because you use it, but I do belive there are products out today that weren't say 10 years ago, that can increase your odds of killing deer (or whatever you are hunting), more accurate bows, better designed broadheads etc...... But just because we have new and improved products for hunting doesn't mean we HAVE to use them. That's why alot of archers are going to Trad. bows and why bow makers are still making longbows and recurves. To me what it all boils down to is this: each individual chooses how he/she hunts and the degree of difficulty in which they do it, you may prefer to use a selfbow and hunt in buckskin and that is cool, I choose to use a compound and wear newer camo clothes and that's just as cool because we are both after the same goal TO HAVE FUN WHILE HUNTING isn't that what it's all about?
As to why there is a need for pro-staffers, well if you are in the market for a new broadhead because your old design is no longer avail. wouldn't you want someone to test the new design before you buy it, and give you an honest reveiw of how it performs? Now granted some companies obtain staffers that will say anything to sell their products regardless of how well they work, but for the most part pro-staffers are honest and will tell you what they think of a product or are happy to share a bit of wisdom they have gleaned from the woods.

As for "pro hunters" I don't even know what constitutes a "pro hunter" but I will say that anyone that claims to be a pro hunter is probably nothing more than a hunting show "host" that takes you along every weekon a hunt where you probably won't learn anything but you may be entertained by the animals they video and kill.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really hope this thread continues. It is really"great" advertisement for some companies . After reading some of the posts and coments from some with ties to certain companies or with "pro staff" behind their name it will make me think twice before buying their product.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Everything stated is correct.

Shame on us for allowing itto happen.

It's a Market?????
Want to make a change?
Stop buying as a consumer
stop buying from some of the contributors of the problem.

Only we can make a change.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I think the funniest part of these types of threads is that they're done on a message board that is sustained by the very industry that is so sorely despised by so many people that contribute to it. If it wasn't for the revenue generated by the evil hunting industry that has ruined the sport for so many of you guys, we wouldn't be able to afford to have such a great place for you to all gather together and complain about it.

Party anyone?

I hope you are saying that you realize that the forum and industry wouldnt be here if it wasnt for us revenue generators and you guys are thankfull for us andnot that we should be thankfull for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM

In reply to Dan from pg.10. No absolutley not, my figures are not off. Walworth county has the highest real estate dollar rate in SE WI. I even called on 35 acres near my house. It was just land, no buildings. Asking price was $375k! The house next to mine, a simple ranch built in the 90's is going for $230K. We are very close to the ILL. line & people down there think that our real estate is a good deal compared to the prices they pay down there. Trust me, I've been looking around for quite some time. In fact the cheapest i found was a farmer I know willing to sell to me for $10K an acre. Up north it is a little bit more reasonable, land is around $2-3K an acre.

Quick Reply: ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.