HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Worst shot that came out Ok (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/222665-worst-shot-came-out-ok.html)

BTBowhunter 12-14-2007 05:17 PM

Worst shot that came out Ok

This was inspired by the weirdest recovery thread.

Anyone whos been out there long enough has had a bad shot and sometimes we simply get lucky.

Here's mine from about two years ago...

It was late season about 30 degrees out with no snow. A doe came in about 9 AM walking straight at me. Since it was late season with precious little cover, I couldn't draw till she turned and as luck would have it, she stopped behind a tree. When she came out from behind, she turned staright at me again only to turn broadside again behind anither tree. She did this 6 times getting closer and closer but pausing each time behind a tree. Finally, when I couldn't hold any longer and was shaking all over she stepped out at 6 yards and looked up and locked onto me. I saw her eyes get wider and wider but she simply stood there. By this time, every muscle was screaming at me so I decide to let down knowing she would bust outta there instantly. With the pin betweeen here eyes, I began to let down but apparently my muscle control was completely gone and the arrow was gone.

My last view was the doe running away with the arrow sticking straight out in front of her nose. Bad news as I was hunting in suburbia. I did hear what sounded like a death crash though. She had gone into a bedding thicket so when my buddy showed up to get me , I sent him around in hopes that he might send her back past if she wasnt dead. After only a few minutes, he called on the radio and said "I found her...how many times did you shoot this thing?" I told him just once and he said she was full of holes.

It turns out that my arrow hit just at the nose, exited under her chin, re-entered at the throat patch, exited again out the side of her neck, re-entered in front of the shoulder and exited out the ribs behind the shoulder.

One arrow, one shot, six holes. She went about 55 yards

rybohunter 12-14-2007 05:29 PM

RE: Worst shot that came out Ok

Wow. that is pretty wild. Reminds me of a story. I shot a doe last year that was broadside to me and slightly up hill from my tree, so the angle wasn't very steep. When I drew to shoot, her head was reached back along her side as she scratched it with her rear hoof. At the shot, she dropped, flopped, and rolled down the hill towards me before gaining her balance and running off. The shot was perfect thru her ribs, and then thru her neck missing the spinal column and into the dirt. 1 shot, 4 holes.

But my theme of the original thread. My luckiest shot was recently, last year or year before.I botched a shot on a doe for being dumb. I hit way back and figured it was guts. The weather was misty rain and I was bummed. Until she ran 35 yds and keeled over dead. I believe I hit that artery that runs down the spine and feeds the hams.

Thisdeer was the worst shot that was all my fault and still worked out for me. I've had several deflectionsor deer moving on the shot that have worked out though.

GregH 12-14-2007 05:34 PM

My worst shot that came out OK was this years archery buck. It was walking real fast from left to right at 18 yards. Because of my miss last year from trying to voice stop a buck, I panicked and did not try to stop this buck. I also did not follow through. When I saw the arrow blow through the exact center of the deer, I was horrified. [X(]Actually, I was "disgusted with myself". [:@]

It turned out that the deer was slightly quartering away from me and I missed the stomach but got the spleen, punctured the diaphram and one lobe of the far side lung. With no blood trail, I found the buck the next morning in about 20 minutes. I considered myself to be extremely lucky.[&:]:D[:-]

my7pointmonster 12-14-2007 05:35 PM

But my theme of the original thread. My luckiest shot was recently, last year or year before. I botched a shot on a doe for being dumb. I hit way back and figured it was guts. The weather was misty rain and I was bummed. Until she ran 35 yds and keeled over dead. I believe I hit that artery that runs down the spine and feeds the hams.

This deer was the worst shot that was all my fault and still worked out for me. I've had several deflections or deer moving on the shot that have worked out though.
I had that happen to me once too i felt like crap then i heard the death crash with a moan and she went about 30 yards and cashed.

Weird how it works out sometimes.

Ryan.

BTBowhunter 12-14-2007 05:54 PM

I'm glad it worked out Greg. Thats one hell of a buck!

Hey, how'd you get that title "Site Buck Guru"?

GregH 12-14-2007 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I'm glad it worked out Greg. Thats one hell of a buck!

Hey, how'd you get that title "Site Buck Guru"?

I have no clue. I think someone's pullin' my chain.:eek:

It might have been TDWW![:-]

Vabowman 12-14-2007 06:07 PM

Damn Greg...... I forgot how nice that buck was. Good Job!!!

northernedge 12-14-2007 06:18 PM

It was the last night of our bowtrip to ohio. I had a small 7 pointer right behind me with no shot on him. My buddy (who was in a stand 150 yards from me) texted to tell me had shot a doe and another one ran off in my direction. As i was watching the 7 pointer to see if he would give me a shot the doe crashed through some bushes and scared him off. She was 75 yards away and i knew her mom had just been shot so i gave her a couple of mouth bleats. She ran in to 35 yards and turned broadside. I drew on her and gave her on more mouth bleat and she stoped dead. I released my arrow and i heard the twang of the string. I have never heard it before and never heard it again. Well she heard the twang to and spun to look right at me. The arrow entered her neck hitting her windpipe and jugular then continued through one lung the heart and exited the guts. she ran 30 yards and crashed. It was a horrible shot and i felt sick until i found her.

gzg38b 12-14-2007 06:35 PM

This year.

25 yards and broadside. It was 10 minutes before dark. I made what would have been a perfect shot. I could see my lighted nock heading straight for the crease behind the shoulder. Then, out of nowhere, the arrow makes a 45 degree turn and enters just before the rear ham. The arrow hit a twig just before impact, and turned sharply. It came out in the center of the opposite ham. The deer ran off.

I waited until dark and got down. I was amazed to find blood everywhere. I couldn't believe the blood trail. The deer was laying 30 yards from where I shot it.

I must have hit that main artery back there, because it sure bled out fast. I was lucky to recover that deer.

Roskoe 12-14-2007 08:05 PM

When I was 16 years old, in 1967, I was walking back to the truck from a morning in the treestand. Came around a corner and a doe was standing at 20 yards in the trail - looking at me. As I drew back, she swapped ends and started bounding away. I released and, on the second bound, the arrow hit her directly in the anus - went up through the diaphram, and wound up in her throat. Those old Bear Razorheads, even out of a 47 lb. recurve, had amazing penetration. I regretted the shot the instant it was let go - excited kid - but got lucky this one time.