HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Found shed of nice buck I missed /with Pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/222655-found-shed-nice-buck-i-missed-pic.html)

BowHuntingFool 12-14-2007 04:00 PM

Found shed of nice buck I missed /with Pic

Hey guys I was out today and came across this shed. I took a shot at this Buck, I missed him at 28 yards! Still sick about the miss! We have deep snow here, I look and see a bush all beat up and bark on top of the fresh snow. I'm standing there looking at it and notice about 2 inches of 2 tines sticking out of the snow. I was like wow, a dead buck or something. I reach down and pick it up and BAM, I pull this out of the snow! I couldn't believe it. I knew exactly who it belonged to. He must of dropped it last night, fresh tracks and blood on the base. I saw him chasing a Doe this past Saturday! Also saw a Helf racked 8 pointer Wednesday, I thought he was busted up or something but with all the snow and temps in the teens they must be dropping them early! I just thought I would share!

" />

goherd1111 12-14-2007 04:02 PM

RE: Found shed of nice buck I missed /with Pic

Wow thats nuts. They usually don't start dropping around here until Late Jan. or early Feb.

GeorgiaTomkat 12-14-2007 04:02 PM

Do bucks usually shed this early?

BowHuntingFool 12-14-2007 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

Wow thats nuts. They usually don't start dropping around here until Late Jan. or early Feb.
I hear that, I was pretty shocked to find it as well. I'm just guessing that all the snow and cold, cold temps, have some of the deer are stressed so they dropped their antlers early!

GregH 12-14-2007 04:54 PM

Great looking shed. Too bad you missed. But guess what? He'll be even bigger next year! If you can, see if you can find the other side. Hang on to it in case you do get him, that'd be pretty cool.

Hoytail Hunter 12-14-2007 04:59 PM

Nice find Joe!

Hey is this the same area you said was right behind the church near GGG? If so are we thinking the same place where there's a grass parking area south of a large cornfield which is maybe a half mile south of the Mauthe Lake refuge?

deerhunter518 12-14-2007 05:03 PM

cant wait to see the pics of it next year on your wall;)

Hoytail Hunter 12-14-2007 05:07 PM

LOL, tell me if you guys see what I thought I saw...

the way the light/shadow contrasts are on his shirt, it looks like the shed has a split brow tine. btw, is there such a thing as a split brow?

C.P.O.player 12-14-2007 05:15 PM

All you guys that find sheds are SOOO lucky...I've been hunting for 24 years and am in the woods alot during the spring while turkey hunting. I have only found 1 shed my entire life. Not sure why we don't find them much down here. Maybe because there are so many rats and squirrels???

TJF 12-14-2007 05:16 PM

Joe

Great shed !! Too bad about missing him. Like Greg said, he will be bigger next year. Find the other side and use them next year to rattle him in !! Tyler almost pulled that off this year but it got too dark by the time the buck finally got in range that he had the sheds to. He stood broadside somewhere around 10 yards to him.[&:]

Tim