HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another undecided with the "Big Three" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/222588-another-undecided-big-three.html)

RickV87 12-14-2007 07:07 AM

Another undecided with the "Big Three"

I am about to purchase a new bow and im down to either a bowtech, hoyt, or mathews and im having trouble deciding. The pro shops in my area either hold bowtech and hoyt, or just mathews, but none of the shops in my area carry all three. Should I pass up the mathews or would that be a mistake? I love speed but I need stealth. What has the best of both worlds?
__________________________________________________ ___________

Bowtech Tribute
Hostage Rest
Hunter Hogg It Sight
EX Maxima Arrows

mobow 12-14-2007 07:25 AM

RE: Another undecided with the "Big Three"

There truely is no BEST of both worlds. The Hoyt guys are gonna say Hoyt, the Bowtech guys are gonna say Bowtech, and the Mathews guys are gonna say ..........yep, Mathews. Shoot, you will probably even get a Bear, Diamond, or maybe even a Mission tossed in there as well. The "big three" are so good and comparable......to say one is truely better than other would be a lie. Oh, make no mistake...Some will even give reasons why they THINK it's the best....

The only way you will REALLY know is to shoot them, period.

TeeJay 12-14-2007 07:30 AM

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin and love it, they all have top end bows and bottom end bows. Compare quality in each manufacturer. Dont rule out 1 brand because the other deallers dont sell them.

BGfisher 12-14-2007 09:50 AM

I'd be willing to take a bet that these dealers handle more than just those three brands. Take a more careful look. There are a lot of comparable bows that cost hundreds less per bow.

Do you know why dealers handle the big three more than others? Because the profit margin is a good bit higher. Shoot a lot. See for yourself. In many cases, depending on your ability, the difference between a $500 bow and a $700 bow is just $200.

SevenMag 12-14-2007 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

In many cases, depending on your ability, the difference between a $500 bow and a $700 bow is just $200.
+1000000

and don't limit yourself to the "big 3", lotsa other great bows out there... in fact, if $$$ is an issue at all, i'd be willing to bet real money that you can find a bow other than a Big 3 brands that shoots every bit as good (in some cases better) for a significant savings... check bear, diamond, ross, gander's house brand Guide Series (made by diamond i believe), and many others... bet you end up finding something there you like that isn't "Big 3" and saves you a fair bit of coin... but if you are only gonna be satisfied with Big 3 then by all means, limit your search... my search left me not liking mathew or hoyt very much and the $$ kept me from getting a bowtech, really liked the diamond bows, bear truth was nice also, but the grip didn't agree with me... most important, go shoot 'em and buy the one you like... and have fun doin it, its the most fun shopping experience i've ever had...

Matt/TN 12-14-2007 10:17 AM

I shoot a Hoyt right now so take this as you wish.

With Mathews, you get a smoother drawing bow, but less speed. They say IBO of 320, or whatever but single cams aren't nearly as efficient at lower poundages and shorter draw lengths. They also usually don't live up to the IBO's.

With a Bowtech, you usually get a stiffer draw cycle and GENERALLY a little more speed. The Guardian, General, and Commander are all noted as being the quietest bows out there. They are definately the most popular on this site. They are definately a little more tricky to tune, where they don't use a split harness. Timing is key. If you can get over the draw cycle, they aren't a bad choice. The General is a pretty smooth drawer, but you give up alot in the speed department.

Hoyt, I feel is a great combination of speed AND smooth drawing. I feel that their cam 1/2 is THE smoothest drawing binary/cam 1/2 out there. They aren't as quiet as the Bowtechs, but they definately AREN'T loud. They have had trouble in the past with their stock strings, but from what I've seen this year, they have fixed that. I have a Vectrix XL and I absolutely LOVE the Vector cams. The new z3 feels pretty much the same but gives them 5 more fps. They are heavier than most bows on the market but that is credited to the TEC riser, which contributes to them being so dead in the hand. They lightened them up significantly this year, they are weighing in at about 4.7lbs.

As most have said though, the best way to decide is to shoot them yourself. I work in a proshop so I get to play with alot of bows :D

PreacherTony 12-14-2007 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

There truely is no BEST of both worlds. The Hoyt guys are gonna say Hoyt, the Bowtech guys are gonna say Bowtech, and the Mathews guys are gonna say ..........yep, Mathews. Shoot, you will probably even get a Bear, Diamond, or maybe even a Mission tossed in there as well. The "big three" are so good and comparable......to say one is truely better than other would be a lie. Oh, make no mistake...Some will even give reasons why they THINK it's the best....

TRUTH!

Germ 12-14-2007 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

TRUTH!
ROSS is the best:D

mobow 12-14-2007 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

TRUTH!
ROSS is the best:D
I don't know about the best, but they are great, that's for sure. What the Ross line has going for it is quiet, and nothing felt at the shot. I'm not sure I've heard a quieter bow than a Ross. I almost bought the Cardiac this past summer, until I put the numbers head to head w/ my Hoyt. Same DL, arrow, and rest. The Cardiac was 7 fps slower on 4 more pounds of draw weight.

SevenMag 12-14-2007 01:13 PM

The Cardiac was 7 fps slower on 4 more pounds of draw weight.

oooohhhhhh, 7fps... i'm sure that's the difference between a 14pt monster and tag soup

;)