Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More arrow speed drivel...  Trajectory chart >

More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

I will respond to this and then read the rest of the responses,at 10 yards,you WANT to hit 2-3 inches high anyway for you to catch top of lung on near side and to catch bottom of lungs on the far side so with a 1 pin setup to be a little high at close ranges,you never have to hold high,you can always aim for center and never worry again about aiming for the exit.
And that is how simple it really is
Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 PM

I shoot an Excalibur crossbow at 350. The lighter bolts don't maintain that
speed over the distance out at fifty. So with that in mind, different arrow
weights will create different tragectoriesalso. I wouldn't bet the farm on that
table just yet. It is a great starting place if you want to try longer shots.
But until you shoot your bowwith your arrowsand your broadhead at your distance,
then you will discover your true drop.

Eric
Old 12-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The whole speed thing is great but like the trajectory chart shows its not gonna help you much with the fudge factor past 40 yards or so. The biggest advantage I have found in my setup which shoots a 370grain arrow at 300fps is that I can use my top pin out to about 32 yards and not deviate more than 2inches or so from the bullseye 0 to 32 yards. That makes it real handy not having to worry about judging if that buck is either 23 yards or is he 28 yards, it doesnt matter put the top pin on him and he is done. Of course you could really get things stirred up and start talking about shooting an arrow of 5.5 grains per pound of drawwhich better because its faster than on that weighs 6 or 7 grains. Would that heavier arrow make a difference in penetration over the lighter faster arrow?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

I will respond to this and then read the rest of the responses,at 10 yards,you WANT to hit 2-3 inches high anyway for you to catch top of lung on near side and to catch bottom of lungs on the far side so with a 1 pin setup to be a little high at close ranges,you never have to hold high,you can always aim for center and never worry again about aiming for the exit.
And that is how simple it really is
YES,it really is that simple.

People would be better served worrying about how to properly execute a shot and form than what an extra 15-20 or even 40 fps will give them.

If you know and understand trajectory,you can setup an effective killing machine at any speeds.

I have NO PROBLEMS at my 257 fps and I could shoot more,ALOT more if I deemed it necessary but I think I have shown I understand trajectory and arrow drop and know it isn't THAT important in hunting situations.

I use 4 pins but I utilize pin gapping for most shots within the 30 yard range and don't really worry about how far it is,even at 257 fps,it can still be done.

I put 20 and 30 on the animal and shoot,it really is that simple.[8D]

I was one that used to think I needed 270 fps,as Arthur may remember but I have really studied this and practiced and know what I need.I have found form and release to be MUCH MORE important.