Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees. >

Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees.

Generally, the guys behind the archery counter at my local Gander Mountain are fairly knowledgable about the products they sell and keep their knowledge up to date. Today, however, was a huge exception. An older gentlman was behind the counter today and he had no business being there.
I got to talking to the guy a little when he asked if I knew anyone who shoots lefthanded. "Well, I do", I replied. "Great, we have a bunch of lefthanded bows we can't get rid of, we'll give a great deal on a bow". Immediately, my eyes shot up to the bow rack, scanning for a lefthanded Diamond Edge. "There's an Edge" as I point to it, "a righthanded one". The guy looks at the bow and says "it only has a 24 inch drawlength". Huh[&:]? I tried explaining to the guy that the bow has a 10" draw length range as I pointed to the bottom cam. "The bow's tag says 24", so that's what it is."
Then, I made the mistake of touching a lefthanded Gander Mountain Techunter bow. He whisks the bow off the rack. "Oh, we can adjust this to fit. We can go down 15 lbs". " I don't think that bows gonna work for me. My draw's only 25"." I watched in disbelief as this joker starts loosening the limb bolts till they're damn near out of the pockets and moves the draw stop all the up the cam. I asked, "Don't you need to change the modules?" Apparently, I was talking to the wall[:@]. He hands the bow to me. I set the bow on the counter and told him there's no way I'm pulling that bow back. Kinda po'd at the fact he's wasting my time, I not suggested he should start reading the instruction manuals so as to not get someone hurt.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees.

You need to remember, for the most part, it's a retail store, not a pro shop but I agree with you, they need educated. I used to go in ours and mess with their heads on questions I knew they could not answer.[8D] One "kid" I turned on to the tech forum here and later he thanked me tremendously.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 PM

personally i wouldnt go and buy a bow at a retail, store but if you have to just get what you need and get out, and go the a proshop.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

The guy at my local GM is probably one of the most knowledgable guys I know. he builds recurves, recurve crossbows, makes his own strings, does a great jobn setting up and is a great guy. That being said I was distraught to find that he is movingto another shop in Feb. because he just got married. The shop is by one of my hunting holes, but is about 40 min away, whereas gander is about 5. A great sad loss....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

You need to remember, for the most part, it's a retail store, not a pro shop but I agree with you, they need educated. I used to go in ours and mess with their heads on questions I knew they could not answer.[8D] One "kid" I turned on to the tech forum here and later he thanked me tremendously.
I think what got to me was the guy's attitude. I tried my absolute best to be humble and courteous. But after he handed me that jacked up bow, that's it. I wasn't even there to buy a bow, only replacement blades for my broadheads. That's what I initially approach him for. Had he'd been less of an idiot, I could of very well walked out of there with an Edge.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I have to take up for my store here in York,pa. The guy I deal with is very knowledgable! Im not gonna mention his name for his sake, but I do agree a pro shop is better!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is what I've learned of Ganders shop from local friends. I have a friend, very knowledgable in bows, opened his own shop but then with tough times, closed it and went to work with Gander. He really help customers out. He was pulled to the side and was told NOT to spend so much time with one customer and to push what they told him to push. He said he will not push what he doesn't believe in but they said you will push what we have in overstock...he left that day with a clear conscience.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with her I get some retard everytime i go in there and i dont get it why cant the even give them a little extra know how in their selected feild, if i go to Cabelas I cant shake the dang employees off me they know what their talking about and know how to use their equipment, I have to say Cabelas is the all around deal maker.

Ryan.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 PM

I used to work in the archery department at Cabelas and I have to say that they really do focus on customer service and don't really ask you to push particular products. They also do their best to hire knowledgable people. I first started working there when our local store first opened and as I was new to bow shooting (yes they did take a risk on me being a newbee, but I'd like to think that as a fast learner I did them well) and being able to learn from my coworkers, I probably learned more in 4 months, than I would have in 15 years of just bow hunting.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

There idiots around my area too!

Quick Reply: Gander Mountain-Please educate your employees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.